FileSearchy

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
I am Baas

FileSearchy

#1 Post by I am Baas »

FileSearchy is a quick, powerful and easy to use utility to search files on your computer. It provides real-time search by file name. Unlike other search tools with instant file search, it also allows searching by content string, date and size. FileSearchy supports many popular formats and highlights found text in file name and contents.
http://www.filesearchy.com/

Dl @ http://www.filesearchy.com/download and uniextract.

Settings + Log + DB at \user\current\AppData\Local\FileSearchy

tproli

Re: FileSearchy

#2 Post by tproli »

This is very handy. Unfortunately adds a bunch of registry keys to HKCR when registering filters (300+ reg keys, mostly empty ones).

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

FileSearchy at version 1.42, Change Log. There used to be a paid version (FileSearchy Pro) but it seems that now all Pro Features are available for Free. Compared to similar programs (Everything, Hddb, Index Your Files), FileSearchy uses significantly more memory.

smaragdus

Re: FileSearchy 1.43

#4 Post by smaragdus »

FileSearchy at version 1.43, downloads and changes:
v1.43 - 23 October, 2016
New:
  • Configure file categories for "Filter Bar".
  • Setup allows to download and install C++ runtime.
Fixed:
  • Application sometimes chashed on exit.
  • Search for more then 9 files didn't work.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

License update: FileSearchy appears to have gone freeware (was free for personal use) - I don't see any notice about personal use only or way to purchase if you're a commercial entity.

This program came back on my radar recently when I grabbed a very big database of files and DocFetcher -- the program I usually use for this task -- flinched at the size. It's a bit clunky in places but definitely gets the job done.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: program website seems to have gone offline so I'm not clear on the status of getting a commercial license so this might qualify as abandonware.

You can still get the program from Softpedia
http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-manag ... rchy.shtml

You can't even buy it from softpedia, which has a "pro" version entry: http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-manag ... -Pro.shtml

It's still not portable.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Update on this ...

Despite it's age, the program works great, love the way it opens with the same searches run from the last time you launched. The tabbed search view and easy search filters are fantastic. This is an amazing program that I definitely didn't look at close enough in my previous test.

Includes searching office documents and runs quickly, making repeat searches for specific terms radically easier. Still works with the latest versions of various office files, including PDF and Microsoft Office (DOCX, PPTX, XLSX).

---

Just for clarity, I'm updating my testing notes:

Steps:

1. Download the installer (for verification, the SHA256 hash: 0CB368AE83499FAD5553007D27FDE612D452EF571BBE9B6DB09FB10EFF5F668C)
2. Extract using 7zip
3. Launch FileSearchy.exe

Requirements: it prompts for admin, but seems to run fine without it. It just disables the indexing.

Status: Not portable, writes to AppData\Local, various attempted launch arguments and moving the settings file didn't seem to help. Would be easy to portablize.

License: Freeware

Other notes: Icon is frustratingly similar to the Everything icon