It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Resonic 0.8.7.1521 Beta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 am 

smaragdus wrote:
What is good about WavPack? Its low compression ratio beaten even by the mediocre FLAC?

High compression isn't the my deciding factor for lossless audio. And I used to be a fan of FLAC for lossless audio until someone pointed me to a set of technical shortcomings I'm unable to fairly reproduce now.

WavPack happens to be in the recommended list by HydrogenAudio, my goto reference for everything related to high quality digital audio.

Speed and the fact that it alies lossy with non-lossy options are major pluses for me. Would you care to share your reasons to dismiss it, BTW? :?

Post subject: Re: WavPack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 am 

@Midas

No, I do not dismiss WavPack, I appreciate it is actively developed. It is just that for me the compression ratio is more important than the compression speed because compression results are permanent while I do not care that much about the process of compressing. Even small differences in size begin to matter when one has terabytes of audio. In fact my results are similar to the comparison table you mentioned with one exception- in my tests TAK beats APE by a narrow margin. My test results according to compression ratio:

• 1. OFR (OptimFROG)
  • 2. TAK (Tom's lossless Audio Kompressor)
  • 3. APE (Monkey's Audio)
  • 4. LA (Lossless Audio)
  • 5. TTA (The True Audio)
  • 6. FLAC (FLAC)
  • 7. WV (WavPack)
  • 8. M4A (ALAC - Apple Lossless Audio Codec)

My personal favourites- Monkey's Audio and OptimFROG. Since I do not care for lossy compression I do not care for hybrid mode either. In fact I have WV files in my audio collection- several torrents in WavPack format.

Post subject: Re: Resonic 0.8.7.1521 Beta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 pm 

smaragdus wrote:
Resonic is now nag-ware:
I could not find the new "Nag" feature in the change log. For me Resonic is a hopeless player and the new "Nag" features puts an end to my tests.

It shows once per update and has been around for a few versions. And you keep coming back to this thread for every single new release hating on a 'hopeless' player.

Midas wrote:
Being one of the best non-lossy formats, improvements for WavPack processing are highly welcome. Great job! 8)

+1. One of the few excellent formats that successfully go beyond consumer audio imho, great for 32-bit float and many in-between formats! Also keeps the wav structure untouched.

Post subject: Re: Resonic Player - fastest audio player/sample browser
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:55 am 

Quick note: Resonic Player versions feature comparison matrix is now available at https://resonic.at/product-comparison...

Post subject: Re: Resonic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm 

@two
Quote:
It shows once per update and has been around for a few versions. And you keep coming back to this thread for every single new release hating on a 'hopeless' player.
I am interested in audio players and that is why I have been wasting my time with this piece of junk since 2012.12.27 (Resonic Alpha 513) but I will do it no more because I think that this player is hopeless and because I do not tolerate beggars and naggers. If you think that this thread is yours because you started it you are wrong. Yet if you think that my comments violate the rules of this site- go complain to the moderators or to the owner of this site. You say that I "...keep coming back to this thread for every single new release...", which is a lie- I have commented on versions 0.8.0.1302, 0.8.5.1483, 0.8.6.1505 and 3 versions cannot stand for "every single new release". In one of my posts I mentioned bugs, in another one I confirmed that the bugs I reported had been fixed and my other posts I expressed my astonishment that after more than 4 years of development there is no support for Cue sheets, a feature available in scores of audio player I have tested and used. I absolutely do not care about you and your posts. But if you think that you can tell me what I should post and what I shouldn't you are wrong. As you were wrong when you said that I hated your player- I simply cannot hate junk-ware, I dump it.

From your posts I presume that you are Thomas Wolf (two=Thomas Wolf), the developer of Resonic. You may feel happy now- I totally lost interest in your player and will never come back to this thread. I have respect for developers who release free software (by the way your player is not really free) but I have no respect for you because time and again you intend to silence me and to reduce my comments to "hate".

Edit
I have seen that in the comments section at the database entry of Resonic you called a user who didn't like your player a troll:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2390#comment28994