It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Portable Skype
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:14 pm 

So Portable Skype is now "sPortable"

http://portableapps.com/news/2017-04-02 ... 2-released

I guess they're looking to avoid search engine collisions against Skype for mobile.

More Portable Freeware | EFF v Trump | FFox+DDG user | Projects donated to: VLC, CubicExplorer, Ditto, Greenshot, TrueCrypt, WinSplit, ClickyGone, ImgBurn, Rockbox, Serva, ShareX, LibreOffice, Splat, TinyTask, Asuite, AutoVer, KompoZer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:32 pm 

The reason for the renaming is due to licensing and trademark concerns, similar to why Java Portable is named jPortable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:43 pm 

smaragdus wrote:
Go to "Tools" - "Options..." - "Advanced" and uncheck "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in."

Awesome, thanks for that.

More Portable Freeware | EFF v Trump | FFox+DDG user | Projects donated to: VLC, CubicExplorer, Ditto, Greenshot, TrueCrypt, WinSplit, ClickyGone, ImgBurn, Rockbox, Serva, ShareX, LibreOffice, Splat, TinyTask, Asuite, AutoVer, KompoZer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:53 am 

freakazoid wrote:
The reason for the renaming is due to licensing and trademark concerns, similar to why Java Portable is named jPortable.

Very strange. Well, at least from a marketing and consumer standpoint, it's a bad idea. jPortable wasn't a great name for Java Portable but there were so many "J___" tools out there (jQuerry, JPC, JSBML, jShell, J++) that it kind of works. Additionally, one advantage there was being unique but with "sPortable" there's quite a bit of overlap.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 am 

Quote:
Very strange. Well, at least from a marketing and consumer standpoint, it's a bad idea. jPortable wasn't a great name for Java Portable but there were so many "J___" tools out there (jQuerry, JPC, JSBML, jShell, J++) that it kind of works. Additionally, one advantage there was being unique but with "sPortable" there's quite a bit of overlap.

Sigh.

Good idea! Maybe you can suggest sighportable to the developer. Afterall its becoming a piece of **** to use. Not as bad as Calibre which is the worst piece of software I ever had to use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 am 

the accountant wrote:
... Calibre which is the worst piece of software I ever had to use.

Much to my chagrin -- my thoughts, precisely. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 pm 

the accountant wrote:
Maybe you can suggest sighportable to the developer. Afterall its becoming a piece of **** to use.

Sadly, I don't think Microsoft is looking for input on their multi-billion dollar acquisition. I try to avoid the thing but damned if multiple people don't insist on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6