ClipAngel - clipboard manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Billo255

Re: ClipAngel

#16 Post by Billo255 »

smaragdus wrote:@Billo255
Have a look at Clipboard Help+Spell which has also been discussed in the forum, perhaps this is what you need.
Smargdus,

Thanks for the link. I don't think I'd come across this one before and it does have a few simiarities to Clipmate. One thing I liked about Clipmate was its transformational abilities which even used (in a limited way) regex. This one appears to have the same feature. That comes in handy alot.

I'm embarking on a new programming language (at least for me) and this might be a good test for this one.

I'm not in a hurry to switch because it's going to be painful. I have clips going back to 2007 that I still reference. ah well... progress.

Bill

Billo255

#17 Post by Billo255 »

tormozit wrote:Billo255
I have no plans to add tree of categories. To switch databases and settings you can use portable mode in 2 different copies of app (for example one catalog called ClipAngelHome and other called ClipAngelWork). This way does not require change in code and I think is easier than switch database in UI.
Understood. I tend to use the app I'm using now as a code snippet manager, legal terms/contract language storage that I've used to modify documents, a place for recipes I collect off the internet, personal info and resume info (it encrypts the info) that I use to fill in forms on the web, project info for clients, reference material (legal, programming, writing), an editor (for both RTF and Text), graphics inventory, random note takeing, etc.

It's kind of a catch all central repository for all of the information I use on a daily basis as well as long term storeage for things I need to keep for reference or as required by a client. Most of this could go into individual documents, spreadsheets, source code snippet manager, etc. but then it would be much more difficult for me to find and control.

So, having the ability to organize all of this is important to me but I tend to be a bit obsessive about that type of thing.

Thanks,
Bill

lintalist

#18 Post by lintalist »

@Billo255 although not a clipboard manager as such have you tried Cintanotes? You can have tags and multiple notebooks, searching is very pleasant. You could use it to store more permanent data while you use a general clipboard manager for normal history, each time you think you may need it again later you can "move" it into Cintanotes or similar application. Files can be stored as attachments to a note.

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Before I begin:
  • It took me a bit to get back to this just because I wanted to test out the new version before replying.
  • Thanks tormozit for your work on this. Your program is already better than almost all clipboard tools I've tested.
---

On the comparison tool, I just tested again and WinMergePortable and you're right; it worked just fine. I couldn't get Text Compare (https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2716) to work, but that's no biggie: WinMerge is my program of choice here anyway.
tormozit wrote:5 & 6: ... I don't understand what is the diffenrence
I'm not sure what issue I was having before but I just tested and it works exactly as expected. Sorry for any confusion there.
tormozit wrote:... file names will remain in old numeric style (example "Clip 4356.txt").

Yeah I think that's fine.
tormozit wrote:In what cases this feature will be usefull for you? Why temp folder is not usefull?
The only issue with the temp folder is that many of our users are running programs from either a USB or cloud drive and saving files to the temp folder isn't as effective. For example, the current behavior is to save to the temp folder and then open in the default viewer. From here, you can certainly save to another, better location on the drive, but that's an extra step.

My suggestion is to save to a given folder (inside the application folder or elsewhere). If no predetermined folder is not already entered in settings, the program could prompt for a destination and give an optional checkbox for "always save to this location".

I can mock something up on this if my explanation isn't clear.
tormozit wrote:I found no way to make this behavour without reasonable unpleasant effects (only always shown or always hidden in taskbar).
I'm very happy with what you have setup in v.1.19.
tormozit wrote:Now you are sure that favorite mark is set event if you ocassionally press ALT+Q twice. There is no big visual indicator of favorite mark. So it is important to be sure only by press.

That is a good point. I had not thought of that.
tormozit wrote:"Unmark favorite" command is in the Clip menu and no one in list context menu because it is used much rare that "Mark favorite". I don't think it is good idead to add rarely used command to context menu.
Another a good point. Maybe "Toggle favorite"? Then, every time you select it, it would just switch the status to either favorite/unfavorite. If multiple items are selected it would reverse whatever status.

I can put together an example here if needed.
tormozit wrote:Ability to disable/minimize the image statistics. I will make it much smaller.
Looks good.
tormozit wrote:Actually they are PNG. BMP extension is a bug. Bug created.
Yeah this works great in the new version.

Also, could you setup a Github site for issue tracking? I much prefer their tools over SourceForge and I'm worried I'm cluttering up PFW's forums with my suggestions.

tormozit

#20 Post by tormozit »

webfork
I do not like the idea of fragmenting problem tracking among many tracking systems. For now I have only around 10 tickets on sourceForge.
I made github repository for you to try https://github.com/tormozit/ClipAngel/issues . From the first sight I see no big difference. May be I will find it later.

tormozit

#21 Post by tormozit »

Added
1. Setting "Folder for clip temp files"
2. Tooltip on clip row in list (created and sizes)
3. Support of standart paths of kdiff3 (file comparison application)

Fixed
1. Using wrong width showing HTML clip from 1С formatted document
2. Rare error in capturing HTML clips
3. "Window auto position on open" used borders of virtual screen instead of physical

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

tormozit wrote:I do not like the idea of fragmenting problem tracking among many tracking systems. For now I have only around 10 tickets on sourceForge.
I don't mean to add additional complexity; I just mean it's a really great tool that's fast becoming the standard. It's not perfect but both codeplex and google code basically ported everything they do to Github for good reason.

For example right now I'm trying to access https://sourceforge.net/p/clip-angel/tickets/ and I just get a permanent load screen. I've just generally had poor luck with that site.
tormozit wrote:I made github repository for you to try https://github.com/tormozit/ClipAngel/issues . From the first sight I see no big difference. May be I will find it later.
Thanks.

tormozit

#23 Post by tormozit »

webfork wrote:both codeplex and google code basically ported everything they do to Github for good reason.
I tried at least 4 times to make sutable site for my free products on github. And every time I found it very complex for END-USERS. Yes, it is sutable for developers, but not for end-users. I publish products in the first place, for end-users.
webfork wrote:access https://sourceforge.net/p/clip-angel/tickets/ and I just get a permanent load screen
Try temporary switch off all extensions in browser or another browser (Firefox).

Midas

Re: WinScroll

#24 Post by Midas »

As a counter-example, here's the Github homepage of some freeware I've been meaning to post for a couple of weeks (but haven't gotten around to properly test :oops:):

tormozit

#25 Post by tormozit »

Midas
Was it made with some costructor? If so, where can I read about it?
I need more complex site but I don't want to make it all by hands.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

I totally get it but can't really answer that. What I can tell you just by browsing WinScroll homepage source is that it is rather minimal -- except it uses the Google Fonts API (https://developers.google.com/fonts/doc ... ng_started) and Font Awesome (http://fontawesome.io/; with repository also at Github)...

lintalist

#27 Post by lintalist »

tormozit wrote:Was it made with some costructor? If so, where can I read about it?
See https://help.github.com/articles/user-o ... ect-pages/ - for your projects it is as easy creating a gh-pages branch and it will look for content to publish there - they recently made it a bit easier https://github.com/blog/2228-simpler-gi ... publishing

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

tormozit wrote:Was it made with some costructor? If so, where can I read about it?
I need more complex site but I don't want to make it all by hands.
I'm not a developer but I recently posted some code of an abandoned project. I didn't have too much trouble uploading files and getting a basic page setup.

tormozit

#29 Post by tormozit »

I need example of simple construсting complex site (screenshots, files, features, history of changes, download counters, desirable 2 languages).

lintalist

#30 Post by lintalist »

@tormozit You can see a very basic example here https://github.com/lintalist/lintalist.github.io - as you can see it has HTML, CSS and Images which is automatically published on http://lintalist.github.io/ after pushing an update to this Repo.

Now I must mention that this is not the proper way of doing it, what I should have done is create a gh-pages branch in my program Repo as described on the pages above. So just create a new branch, name it gh-pages and place an index.html there and see what happens. You may wish to reconsider how you build your website. If you have a changelog.md in your REPO you don't have to have a history of changes on your website, you simply link to the MD file which is rendered nicely by GH. Same goes for downloads, just create it as a Release so people download it from GH (you can't see how many downloads it gets but GH does have some statistics to give you an idea of the number of views).