Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
giulia

Re: Portable Skype

#91 Post by giulia »

JohnTHaller wrote:Skype will ask for confirmation before updating. You can stay up to date automatically by using the PortableApps.com Platform as updates for Skype Portable are usually released before Skype begins prompting.

We can't disable the update check as Skype uses a setting within HKLM to disable update checking which can only be set with admin rights.
hi
the last version , released by portableapps.com leave lots of keys like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\WPPMediaPerApp\Skype

joby_toss

#92 Post by joby_toss »

How about that?...
Microsoft has just announced that users can now start a conversation on Skype without even creating an account, so everyone can now enjoy the essential features of the VoIP platform right away.

To do this, users only have to point their browsers to skype.com, where they can instantly start a new conversation. Once the conversation UI loads, Skype provides you with a link, which you have to send to your contacts to be able to chat.

This new system allows chats, voice and videos calls, screen sharing, and file sharing, and anyone can join a conversation, even guests like you who don’t have a Microsoft account.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsof ... 0225.shtml

webfork

#93 Post by webfork »

Looks like the Microsoft answer to WebRTC, though it's not peer-to-peer as connections go through Microsoft. Supports up to 25 voice/video or 200 text chats.

It's always nice to have a group communication system that doesn't require downloading anything, but there are similar alternatives out there like Jitsi Meet, Appear.in, and more.

Anyway, I didn't get any error messages on Firefox with limited testing so it doesn't appear to be IE-only.

ozziguy

Skype 6 PortableApps

#94 Post by ozziguy »

Hi

I am looking for 2 things

1. The PortableApps.com installer for Skype v6.21.0.104

That was the last version before bubble chat was introduced and the filename is SkypePortable_6.21.0.104_online.paf.exe

2. A freshly installed version of Skype v6.21.0.104 from PortableApps.com

Does anyone have those 2 ? can you please zip them up and share a link ?

webfork

Re: Skype 6 PortableApps

#95 Post by webfork »

ozziguy wrote:Does anyone have those 2 ? can you please zip them up and share a link ?
Normally I'd point you to PortableApps download listings on SF.NET but Skype isn't open source. You might reach out to PA about listing earlier versions, though I suspect they have an agreement with Microsoft not to list anything apart from the latest-and-greatest.

ozziguy

#96 Post by ozziguy »

Thanks for the info webfork

I have obtained the PA installer but i can't install it (obviously because it's an online installer and m$ only host the source files at the time of release), so really what i only need is the installed version of it which i don't think would be a popular idea to alot of people. Hopefully one day someone will come to the rescue

webfork

#97 Post by webfork »

ozziguy wrote:... what i only need is the installed version of it which i don't think would be a popular idea to alot of people
Not really a place where installed versions come up much, but you never know.

EmmyPx

#98 Post by EmmyPx »

webfork wrote:
ozziguy wrote:Does anyone have those 2 ? can you please zip them up and share a link ?
Normally I'd point you to PortableApps download listings on SF.NET but Skype isn't open source. You might reach out to PA about listing earlier versions, though I suspect they have an agreement with Microsoft not to list anything apart from the latest-and-greatest.
thanks for sharing )

freakazoid

#99 Post by freakazoid »

If you want to hide ads in Skype, read this article:

Code: Select all

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-ads-in-skype-updated-for-recent-versions/
To block the ads, you need be able to modify your Windows Internet options.

However, the ad placeholder removal works with Skype Portable. Go to your Skype Portable folder and go to Data\settings\. Next, find your Skype username folder, double-click it and edit config.xml.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#100 Post by webfork »

I complained in entry comments that Portable Skype doesn't minimize to try (and noted how DesktopOK was a great workaround) but in further testing I found out that regulars skype also doesn't minimize to tray. The other elements I mentioned -- not remembering my login between sessions and inability to actually shut down -- are not present in the install version.

smaragdus

#101 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork

I think that the portable version has the same behaviour as the installer one, you just need go to settings:

Go to "Tools" - "Options..." - "Advanced" and uncheck "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in.":

and then there is "Quit" command in tray menu:

But Skype PortableApps has another problems on my machine- it doesn't remember language settings after restart and pops up update notification message any time it starts.

I have quit using Skype long time ago- it is an abominable, NSA-friendly adware and spyware, I found an old copy I used to produce the screen-shots. After acquiring it M$ ruined it completely. I do not recommend using this junk.
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTHaller

#102 Post by JohnTHaller »

Skype has a bug in its removable/portable mode where it will not remember your selected language and revert to the machine's default on next start. This is mentioned on the app's homepage. Most users won't notice this as they only use PCs in their preferred language.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#103 Post by webfork »

So Portable Skype is now "sPortable"

http://portableapps.com/news/2017-04-02 ... 2-released

I guess they're looking to avoid search engine collisions against Skype for mobile.

freakazoid

#104 Post by freakazoid »

The reason for the renaming is due to licensing and trademark concerns, similar to why Java Portable is named jPortable.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#105 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Go to "Tools" - "Options..." - "Advanced" and uncheck "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in."
Awesome, thanks for that.