The Encryption/Decryption category

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Mixture

The Encryption/Decryption category

#1 Post by Mixture »

I have been meaning to do this for quite some time, but now that I have got it done, here is my personal conclusion from testing all the 26 apps in Portable Freeware’s Security - Encryption/Decryption category. I had several simple criteria for selecting an app for securing my irreplaceable files.

1. It must use a proven secure encryption algorithm.
2. It must have the option of securely wiping the original file(s) when encrypting the file(s).
3. It would be very good if the app was portable so I could put it on a portable storage device.

After carefully examining, reading, downloading, extracting and testing all 26 apps, here are my results. I realize countless others will instantly and harshly disapprove of my conclusions, so I expect negative criticism. I have my security needs. Select an encryption app for your own needs.

ExcelPass - While it looks good at encrypting files, the write password is limited to only 15 characters, a bad limitation. Rejected.
Crypto Notepad - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
Hyper Crypt - Strangely hard to use. Has the option of generating an RSA asymmetrical key, but is unable to use it. All options must be reentered every time you use the app. Must input the password BEFORE any file is encrypted or decrypted. Errored on me multiple times during testing. Rejected.
VeraCrypt - This creates a virtual encrypted drive, which can be erased by malcontents. Rejected.
PWGen - This is a great password generator. Can encrypt text messages. Cannot encrypt files, though. Therefore, rejected.
gpg4usb - Good text and file encryption app. Current version limits RSA key to 4096 bits, which is short by today's standards. One older version was capable of utilizing 16384 bit keys, but it still requires a second password to use the large secret RSA key. Rejected.
Drag'n'Crypt ULTRA - Uses the Twofish encryption algorithm. Remembers the options without needing to reenter them every time you use the app. Capable of encrypting or decrypting multiple files at once. Uses drag and drop input only, no clicking through menus with your mouse. Has the option of securely wiping the original input files. Acceptable.
VaultPad - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
Blowfish Advanced CS - Can encrypt or decrypt multiple files at once. Has the option of seven different encryption algorithms (Blowfish, CAST-128, ARCFOUR, Serpent, Rijndael, Triple-DES, Twofish). Has four different wiping options (Delete [not securely wiped], one pass random, DoD 3-pass, Gutmann 35-pass) to securely wipe original file(s). Remembers the options without needing to reenter them every time you use the app. Uses the context menu and mouse select method. Can delete password after a certain time. Highly recommended.
SteganoG - Steganography software that can encrypt any file. Needs existing image file for usage. Has five encryption algorithms (Blowfish, RC4, Skipjack TEA, Twofish), three density settings (1 bit/byte, 2 bits/byte, 4 bits/byte), and the option to compress the file data before putting it into the image file. Acceptable.
MultiObfuscator - Encrypts texts or files in a exceedingly strong mixture of 16 different encryption algorithms (Anubis, Camellia, Cast-256, CIPHERUNICORN-A, CLEFIA, FROG, Hierocrypt3, Idea-NXT, MARS, RC6, Rijndael, Safer+, SC2000, Serpent, Speed, Twofish). Capable of utilizing up to seven separate passwords for encrypting files. Unfortunately, its encrypted storage methodology mixes dummy data with actual data, resulting in a limit of only 64 megabytes of actual storage within a 256 megabyte encrypted data file, and a limit of only 46 kilobytes of actual text data in a 256 kilobyte encrypted text file. Rejected.
CryptoTE - This encrypts only texts. Using the strongest encryption algorithm, Serpent, it encrypts text very securely. Since it doesn't encrypt files, it is rejected.
TrueCrypt - The most well known of virtual encrypted drive software, discontinued for no clear reason. Truecrypt virtual drives can be erased by malicious people. Rejected.
Eclipse- This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
MAXA Crypt Mobile - Always displays adware on its title page and makes you click on a START button to start the actual app. Can encrypt several files at once, but puts them into only one encrypted output file. Does not securely wipe original input files. Uses just the Rijndael encryption algorithm. Rejected.
MAXA Text-2-EXE - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
removableTrezor - Like VeraCrypt and TrueCrypt, this creates a virtual encrypted drive, which can be erased by malcontents. Rejected.
Steganos LockNote - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
FreeOTFE - Like removableTrezor, VeraCrypt, and TrueCrypt, this creates a virtual encrypted drive, which can be erased by malcontents. Rejected.
fSekrit - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
Omziff - Full of capable security utilities (Encrypt file, password generation, shred file, split file, create file hash, file append, make decoy files, random number generator) Can only encrypt one file at a time. Must shred original file separately. Rejected.
ClipSecure - Limited to using the clipboard to encrypt file and other security functions. Warned about size limitation (10 megabytes). Rejected.
Crypditor - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
CryptNote - This encrypts only texts. Does not encrypt files. Rejected.
PicoCrypt - Needs password and confirmation of password when first starting app. Needs password and confirmation of password again when encrypting. Rejected.
dsCrypt - Small and useful encryption app. Must manually select encryption and decryption modes. Uses only the Rijndael encryption algorithm. Rejected.

Midas

Re: The Encryption/Decryption catagory

#2 Post by Midas »

Nice work. Thanks. 8)

TP109

Re: The Encryption/Decryption catagory

#3 Post by TP109 »

Nice work.

I've used Blowfish Advanced CS is my default Encryption/Decryption utility for a few years. I prefer it because of its small footprint, performance, features, and ease-of-use too. A little surprised at its high rating, but even more surprised that so many others didn't meet the requirements. There are a lot of gray areas when testing, so it's often a choice of creating new categories, or using strict vs non-strict testing standards.
Last edited by TP109 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

__philippe

Re: The Encryption/Decryption category

#4 Post by __philippe »

@Mixture

Nicely done indeed.

For the sake of user's convenience in perusing your detailed observations, it would be very handy to include a DB link for each product referenced.
For instance, instead of merely: Blowfish Advanced CS, you could edit your post with:

{url=https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=117}{b}Blowfish Advanced CS{/b}{/url}

which, after substituting actual brackets [] for the above braces {} placeholders, will produce a handy clickable link:

Blowfish Advanced CS

Congrats again on this very useful compilation of yours