CrossLoop

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lococobra

CrossLoop

#1 Post by lococobra »

UPDATED: V 1.2
Now capable of doing crash cleanup if something blows up

UPDATED: V 1.1
Now it's stealth, and preserves settings. (See source code)

CrossLoop Portable - Just what it sounds like.

Download it: Here

More info on CrossLoop Here

This is probably my best code so far, very clean, very simple. Package doesn't include any CrossLoop files, not even their icon (I made a new one for it myself)

No funky wrapper... install/uninstall here, making CrossLoop portable is really as easy as making a 1 line batch file, but this version downloads/extracts/runs it for you. EDIT: + backup/insert reg entries

Enjoy
Last edited by lococobra on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

It's not completely portable - it still saves settings to the registry:

HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options UniqueID REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options WebServerPort REG_DWORD
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options WebServerHost_s_addr REG_DWORD
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options Cookie REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options MessageURL REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options LastAccess REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options Name REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\CrossLoop\CrossLoopConnect\Options ClientServer REG_DWORD
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs url1 REG_SZ
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs url2 REG_SZ

However, for those who can live with the lack of stealth, there are only three settings anyway:
image quality = auto, low, or high - default is auto
proxy configuration
language

For those who (like me) would prefer the batch file, the "one line" should be:

CrossLoopConnect.exe -ap=crossloop -port=5910 -udp=www.CrossLoop.com -webserver=server.crossloop.com -webservice=www.crossloop.com -startup=server

This is, of course, after downloading the CrossLoop setup file, extracting it with UniExtract, and copying the contents of the {App} directory to a folder on your USB drive.

guinness

Excellent Autoit Script!

#3 Post by guinness »

This is amazing don't know why I didn't think of it.

With regards to the stealth of the program i just edited the script to -

Code: Select all

RunWait($CrossExe&' -ap=crossloop -port=5910 -udp=www.CrossLoop.com -webserver=server.crossloop.com -webservice=www.crossloop.com -startup=server')
RegDelete("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CrossLoop")
I know it not safe to edit the registry but I am not bothered as it seems to only add the following keys to the registry and thats pretty much it! Now I can help family when I am travelling :)

lococobra

#4 Post by lococobra »

Hey hey, yeah.. make no effort to comment on how awesome the whole auto-installer thing is :P

Oh well, I think I might just adopt guinness's mod, I'll just tweak it a bit so it doesn't delete settings in the case that CrossLoop is already installed. And yeah batch file might be easier, but after I make those changes then it will make sense to use my version. Besides, what's the point in avoiding using a already made script in favor of one which does the same thing + a black window :wink:

ashghost

#5 Post by ashghost »

I use PStart - I don't actually need a batch file. Thanks for publishing your script so that I could see the command line flags that needed to be added. 8)

Is that better? :P

Sorry, I won't say that the auto-installer is awesome, if only because I don't need it. :D

lococobra

#6 Post by lococobra »

Well, you should reconsider :P

Now it works like this:
1. Backup existing host settings
2. Delete existing settings
3. Insert portable version settings
4. Auto-Install/Run Program
5. Wait for program to close
6. Remove old portable version settings
7. Backup portable version settings from registry
8. Delete all traces of CrossLoop from registry
9. Re-insert host settings (if it exists)

AKA: As long as it doesn't crash, it's stealth.

ashghost

#7 Post by ashghost »

That is much better.

I still won't use it, though - I don't care about stealth and I'd never change those 3 settings anyway. :wink:
Now if you can get it to do my dishes... :lol:

My vote would be for CrossLoop to be added to the database, with instructions for extracting and running it with the command line flags, but also with a link to lococobra's script.

homepage: http://www.crossloop.com/
download: http://download.crossloop.com/crossloop ... 204452.exe

However, I know Andrew feels pretty strongly about settings being portable (no matter how minimal), and the script is the only way to do that...

lococobra

#8 Post by lococobra »

It doesn't just do those three settings...

When you log in, it saves your email, name, and an encrypted form of your password to the registry. Logging in allows you to have online visibility on their site, and track your sessions. So unless you're planning on using this without a login (which doesn't look very professional if you're giving remote support), use my portable version.

What's with all the negativity? What's the point of putting a non-stealth version in the database when a stealth version is available? There's absolutely no performance disadvantage to running mine, and only about 4mb of additional memory required..

ashghost

#9 Post by ashghost »

What's with all the negativity?
It's just my personal bias. Like I said, I don't care about stealth, and I have a preference for using just the original program if it's possible (even with drawbacks, if they're minimal - regardless of whether that's completely rational).
When you log in, it saves your email, name, and an encrypted form of your password to the registry.
I didn't log in (I don't have an account - I'd just use it to help friends and family), so I guess I didn't test it fully. :oops: In light of that, I suppose the native version doesn't belong in the database, and most people would want to use your script.

The following is not completely related to our back-and-forth here:

Sometimes it seems like there should a whole suite of subcategories in these forums:

Portable .NET and Java apps (which I'll use)
Apps that save very few settings (which I'll also use, like AviDemux)
Simplified portability (for PortableApps versions of already portable software and things like that - which would hopefully have avoided some of the recent flames and which I won't use)

While there are some sysadmins and tech support guys here that would tend to have similar requirements for their portable applications, the people who find these forums are bound to have broad and varied interests, biases, and requirements. I don't think it's possible to have a big enough tent to include everybody, but I think it is possible to let those who don't mind the higher overhead applications have a place to submit such things - and it might reduce the number of inappropriate submissions to the main "Portable Freeware Submission" forum.

In light of what I just wrote, I suppose I should have ended my previous comment after the request for getting it to do my dishes. However, my comment did allow you to further elucidate what gets saved to the registry. :D

guinness

Stealth Version is so much better.

#10 Post by guinness »

The installer function is very well integrated into the script. Lococobora got me into autoit when he created the Sandboxie script to change the location in the ini file. What I like is some people don't understand batch files so it therefore gives others the chance to see how good crossloop is. I for one will be looking at the script and taking onboard how to integrate into my program i am creating.

webfork

Re: CrossLoop Portable 1.2

#11 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

I went digging for information on this but there wasn't much. This is a portable version of a retired tech support program:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110823130 ... cobra.com/