ONLYOFFICE (free office suite)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

ONLYOFFICE (free office suite)

#1 Post by Midas »

I came across a mention of ONLYOFFICE as a free office suite so I went looking... I haven't tested for portability, but I think it needs to be mentioned here at TPFC.
https://www.onlyoffice.com/desktop.aspx wrote:Powerful like Microsoft Office, free like LibreOffice. ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors is an open-source office suite that combines text, spreadsheet and presentation editors, distributed under AGPL license v3. You can download and use them for home, government, educational and commercial purposes without restrictions.

The download page (https://www.onlyoffice.com/download-desktop.aspx) makes a portable Linux version (currently, v4.2.3.296) available but, alas, none for Windows...

The Softpedia review is at www.softpedia.com /get/Office-tools/Office-suites/ONLYOFFICE.shtml.

freakazoid

Re: ONLYOFFICE (free office suite)

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Another interesting find, midas!

Hopefully we see a PortableApps.com version soon. Paging JTH! :)
is it stealth? ;)

smaragdus

Re: ONLYOFFICE

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

The desktop version is not only free, it's even open source.
In their German forums, a request for a portable Windows version has already been made in December 2016. The mod claimed he was going to inform the devs about the request. (It's seemingly impossible to search for "portable" and the like in the English forums because the word is said to be too common.)

smaragdus

Re: ONLYOFFICE 4.2.5.312

#5 Post by smaragdus »

ONLYOFFICE at version 4.2.5.312, I could not find the change log.

Has anyone tested ONLYOFFICE?

@Ribbon Experts
Is this a kind of slimmed down ribbon?

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I went digging for some clarity on the license. Softpedia is listing it as a Trial, which I guess isn't quite accurate http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... FICE.shtml while Softonic thinks it's GPL'd https://onlyoffice.en.softonic.com/

I tested the desktop version (112 megs compressed) and it's listed as AGPL, which makes sense as it's usually used over a network ...

However, I'd actually characterize it as "liteware" since several of the features on the homepage are "try it now" links:

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Has anyone tested ONLYOFFICE?
I spent some time on this today and put together some thoughts:

Short version: The comparison to Google Docs is probably the best. It's accessible and easy, but feels limited after spending some time on it. If you do a lot of similar things frequently with minor edits, it's probably great.

By section
  • Word Processor - The nested bullets and numbering (outline) is nice but not quite as good as LO. It handles images really well, but desperately needs a "web" style view where elements aren't limited to whatever page size you have.
  • Presentation - I definitely prefer the presentation program over LO, even though it's lacking some of the flowchart functionality. I'm always hungry for PowerPoint alternatives.
  • Spreadsheet - looks really great but I the functionality doesn't appear to come close to MS or LO.
Other issues
  • File format support is extremely unclear -- when you open a file dialog it just has a wildcard (*.*) so you get to click on something to see whether or not it opens.

Embrace of Microsoft Office documents (it saves to MS formats by default). There is no doubt in my mind that the program cannot and will not work well with DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX files created by Office 2013. Everytime someone gets those standards down, Microsoft adds a bunch more crap with their latest version that suddenly won't work with even earlier versions of MS Office.

smaragdus wrote:Is this a kind of slimmed down ribbon?
It's a different take. Everything is shoved inside of individual icons so if you want to add a bunch of elements to your presentation (for example) it takes a few clicks to get to something. Plus the icons aren't terribly obvious so you have to hover over them slowly to try and figure out what everything does. It's a bit tedious.

KJD

#8 Post by KJD »

not exactly tested

unpacked inno installer
to avoid launch.bat messing with my %path% I moved files from .\converter sub folder to main folder
added msvcr120.dll & msvcp120.dll just for luck then ran DesktopEditors.exe on XP,
under those conditions it fired up without using registry but does create
D:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Application Data\ONLYOFFICE\DesktopEditors
with 22 files in 13 folders ? also seems to create initially an empty folder
D:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Application Data\CEF\User Data\Dictionaries
should be an easy 2 line candidate for gaP: or yaP:

my initial view is I won't use it as its 400Mb and insists on inflexible date format handling which cant handle time sheet values at this time of day
SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 Portable which is under 200 Mb and can easily handle date time calcs such as
<snip>
2017-02-16 23:59:59
2017-02-17 00:00:00
</snip>

Will stick with M$ unOFFICEial 97 portable for 101% doc and xls compatibility

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

A portable request has been posted to their github site: https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DesktopEditors/issues/31

Other usage notes
  • Ghacks complained about speed, which I didn't see the first time I ran the program but I found myself annoyed how long it took to start a new document and view a simple 1k text file. People complained for years about LibreOffice load times so I feel like this is going to be an issue for some users.
File support
  • Will save to Open Document, PDF, and RTF so I tried opening those formats ...

- Doesn't open very old DOC file formats (like 1996-era DOC format)

- Opens PDFs okay, a little light on features versus a lot of options already here on the site (especially Sumatra). Doesn't support indexes for example to jump to a given section.

- Seems to open LibreOffice formats including Impress, Calc, and Writer (ODP, ODS, and ODT). In writer, it seems to handle bullets oddly (they all show up as open boxes regardless of whether they're nested or not).

- Seems to support some RTF files and not others.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

An additional note about file support:

Here's a listing of all file types mentioned during setup. These are offered as optional file associations, which means they're probably files they are focused on supporting.

MS Office: DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX
OpenDocument: ODT, ODS, ODP
Other: RTF, CSV, PDF, DJVU

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
webfork wrote:An additional note about file support:

Here's a listing of all file types mentioned during setup. These are offered as optional file associations, which means they're probably files they are focused on supporting.

MS Office: DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX
OpenDocument: ODT, ODS, ODP
Other: RTF, CSV, PDF, DJVU
DJVU?!? You mean that ONLYOFFICE can export to DJVU?

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:You mean that ONLYOFFICE can export to DJVU?
Unfortunately that's a no. In this case, "support" means only for opening files, not saving.

Still, it's nice to see an open program at least partially support an open alternative to PDF. I've seen feature requests for this for LibreOffice but I don't think that's coming anytime soon.

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:DJVU?!? You mean that ONLYOFFICE can export to DJVU?

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

New version of ONLYOFFICE: 4.3.2.318
  • Release Date: 4/13/2017
    File Size: 112 MB
    Platforms: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista (32-bit)

No activity on their Github site so I'm not sure of the changelog. https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DesktopEditors/issues

A portable version is listed on the download page but it only lists Linux.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

New version out today (4.4.1). Big changes seem to be a lot of spreadsheet and speed tweaks:

https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DesktopEd ... tors-4.4.1