BatchEncoder - audio conversion

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
giulia

BatchEncoder - audio conversion

#1 Post by giulia »

homepage
https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/BatchEncoder
BatchEncoder is an audio files conversion software. It supports most of popular audio file formats including lossy and lossless compression. The program is very simple to use. BatchEncoder is basically GUI front-end for command-line tools. All it does is create background processes and pass arguments to it with options set in presets/format menu and additionally adds input and output file paths. For specific options for each format use help available for command-line tools.

really beautiful update program , almost sure it's stealth , but to confirm

smaragdus

Re: BatchEncoder 1.0

#3 Post by smaragdus »

@giulia
A nice find, thanks. BatchEncoder seems to be portable and stealth- settings are saved in BatchEncoder.formats, BatchEncoder.items and BatchEncoder.options files inside program folder. I need to do a more thorough test of the audio encoding.

smaragdus

Re: BatchEncoder 1.1

#4 Post by smaragdus »

BatchEncoder at version 1.1, latest donloads, all downloads and latest changes:
  • Added multi-language support.
  • Added Polish language translation.
  • Added ffmpeg ac3 encoder support.
  • Added language editor tool.
I finally managed to test BatchEncoder (version 1.1, x64) and my first impressions are great- the program is light, well-designed and supports many formats (including some a bit exotic ones like OptimFROG (OFR)- my favourite, Tom's lossless Audio Kompressor (TAK) and True Audio (TTA). I encountered a problem only with qaac, informed the developer and he is already investigating the issue. Yes, the developer is extremely helpful and open to suggestions.

Screens:

BatchEncoder - conversion:

BatchEncoder - context menu:

BatchEncoder - configure presets:

BatchEncoder - configure formats:

Note that BatchEncoder is just a front-end (GUI) and the needed codecs have to be downloaded separately. More information and download links about the supported codecs can be found at Tools page.

giulia

Re: BatchEncoder 1.1

#5 Post by giulia »

smaragdus wrote:BatchEncoder at version 1.1, latest donloads, all downloads and latest changes:
hi
will be added ?
thanks

webfork

Re: BatchEncoder

#6 Post by webfork »

Specular

#7 Post by Specular »

Really promising. The main downside would be the time it takes to download and add the required encoder binaries. The Powershell script didn't seem to download anything for me so I had to download each manually then re-configure the paths to a sub-directory (so it's a bit neater) which took a while.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

@giulia
hi
will be added ?
thanks
BatchEncoder is in my submission list.

@Specular
Really promising. The main downside would be the time it takes to download and add the required encoder binaries. The Powershell script didn't seem to download anything for me so I had to download each manually then re-configure the paths to a sub-directory (so it's a bit neater) which took a while.
I can create an archive containing all the the codecs supported by BatchEncoder and upload it but it will be a snapshot with the currently latest ones- some codecs are updated regularly while others seem to have been abandoned.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:I can create an archive containing all the the codecs supported by BatchEncoder and upload it but it will be a snapshot with the currently latest ones- some codecs are updated regularly while others seem to have been abandoned.
:idea: You could a adopt a two-tiered approach here -- one package for the mostly stable ones, i.e., unchanging in the near future, and one for the rapidly updating ones, so people would be forewarned...

smaragdus

Re: BatchEncoder 1.2

#10 Post by smaragdus »

BatchEncoder at version 1.2, changes:
Changes
  • Changed progress function format to use Lua script files.
  • Added La Lossless Audio compression format.
  • Added qaac AAC encoder format.
  • Added qaac AAC decoder format.
  • Added qaac M4A decoder format.
  • Added individual format definitions files.
  • Added pipes only trans-coding support (no temp file created if pipes are supported).
  • Added hide console window option.
  • Added drag and drop support for options files (main dialog).
  • Added drag and drop support for items files (main dialog).
  • Added drag and drop support for formats files (main and formats dialog).
  • Added drag and drop support for format files (main and formats dialog).
  • Added drag and drop support for presets files (main, formats and presets dialog).
  • Added drag and drop support for exe files (main and formats dialog, set current format exe path).
  • Added drag and drop support for progress files (main and formats dialog, set current format progress path).
  • Added drag and drop support for language files (main dialog).
  • Added option to open and edit presets from Configure Formats dialog.
  • Added import, export and duplicate format buttons.
  • Added duplicate preset button.
  • Added Korean translation by JaeHyung Lee.
  • Added Spanish translation by Overdrive80.
  • Optimized compiler and linker settings.
  • Update status-bar when changing language.
  • Sorted formats in alphabetical order in the drop-down.
  • Use unique file name for temporary file when trans-coding.
  • Bug fixes.
Edit
Lossless Audio (LA) is now supported! BatchEncoder is the first (and perhaps the last) audio converter that supports LA!
Now formats are sorted in alphabetical order which makes navigation easier.
BatchEncoder is becoming the ultimate audio converter! The developer- Wiesław Šoltés is extremely helpful and responsive- many thanks for his excellent work!

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Midas wrote:
smaragdus wrote:I can create an archive containing all the the codecs supported by BatchEncoder and upload it but it will be a snapshot with the currently latest ones- some codecs are updated regularly while others seem to have been abandoned.
  • :idea: You could a adopt a two-tiered approach here -- one package for the mostly stable ones, i.e., unchanging in the near future, and one for the rapidly updating ones, so people would be forewarned...
First, the developer informed me about a simple download script (included in the package). I suppose this script might be useful to many users. The developer doesn't pack the codecs due to legal issues- some codecs licenses do not allow redistribution. If I create such an archive it will include the date when it was packed and it will include all the codecs I have. I do not intend to create separate archives for regularly updated codecs and for rarely updated codecs. For example FFmpeg is updated almost daily and it comes in different builds. I thinks that if someone needs a codec they will find it, more- most users never use anything different than MP3 and have no idea what lossless means. In short, BatchEncoder supports most audio codecs available (both popular and uncommon), in contrast with LameXP for example (whose developer believes that the users do not need support for "exotic" codecs as output) and this is the most important.

smaragdus

#12 Post by smaragdus »

Upon my request Softpedia added BatchEncoder to their database:

BatchEncoder at Softpedia - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... oder.shtml
Portable BatchEncoder at Softpedia - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... oder.shtml

billon

Re: BatchEncoder 1.2

#13 Post by billon »

smaragdus wrote:BatchEncoder is the first (and perhaps the last) audio converter that supports LA!
Well, La Frontend (which stealth after extraction) is audio converter that supports LA. It can be extended with third-party encoders, exactly like BatchEncoder, and less then 350 KB in size.
You like abandoned coders? How about Shorten, Lpac or even RKAU? I don't judge, but why if there are FLAC and, maybe, Monkey's Audio?

smaragdus

#14 Post by smaragdus »

@billon
billon wrote:
smaragdus wrote:BatchEncoder is the first (and perhaps the last) audio converter that supports LA!
Well, La Frontend (which stealth after extraction) is audio converter that supports LA. It can be extended with third-party encoders, exactly like BatchEncoder, and less then 350 KB in size.
You like abandoned coders? How about Shorten, Lpac or even RKAU? I don't judge, but why if there are FLAC and, maybe, Monkey's Audio?
You are right, La is portable (settings saved in config.xml inside program folder) but it requires .NET and it has some inconveniences (it does not remember for example its desktop position after restart).

I like codecs which achieve better compression and Lossless Audio (LA) is one of the better ones in terms of compression, see below an old screen-shot showing compression sizes of lossless codecs (I performed this test about 2 years ago):

If I do new tests I will share my results again.

I do not like FLAC. Its compression ratio is mediocre compared to LA, APE, TAK, etc. In my tests OFR always beats all other lossless codecs in terms of compression. I do not care about the compression speed since while the encoding takes place I am usually not waiting for the process to complete but doing other things. So encoding in APE, LA, OFR, etc, may take longer than encoding in FLAC but the results are better and permanent. Why should I care if LA is abandoned when it performs better than FLAC, which is still in active development? LA released on 2004.02.08 still compresses better than FLAC released on 2017.01.01.
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaragdus

Re: BatchEncoder 1.3

#15 Post by smaragdus »

BatchEncoder at version 1.3, changes:
Changes
  • Added advanced output path options.
  • Added Validate Input Files option.
  • Added overwrite existing files option.
  • Updated tools download.ps1 script.
  • Variable names in format path are case insensitive.
  • Variable names in output path are case insensitive.
  • Added ffdcaenc DTS encoder format.