FileOptimizer - broad format compression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Special

Re: FileOptimizer - broad format compression

#61 Post by Special »

- Added descriptions in INI file to make it easier and safer to be modified.

This is great! Might I suggest that the ini options inside are sorted (organized) in some way, either by name or categorized by type? For example in mine the PDFProfile=Custom and PDFCustomDPI=150 are in the middle, and PDFSkipLayered=false is near the bottom, if anything, PDF related settings should be kept together, same with PNG, General, Statistics, you get the idea.

Not important or anything, just a tiny little suggestion.

nikkho

#62 Post by nikkho »

Special wrote:- Added descriptions in INI file to make it easier and safer to be modified.

This is great! Might I suggest that the ini options inside are sorted (organized) in some way, either by name or categorized by type? For example in mine the PDFProfile=Custom and PDFCustomDPI=150 are in the middle, and PDFSkipLayered=false is near the bottom, if anything, PDF related settings should be kept together, same with PNG, General, Statistics, you get the idea.

Not important or anything, just a tiny little suggestion.
Thanks. I will take a look to it, but guess it is not that easy, because Windows API, reorders them when they are updated.

smaragdus

Re: FileOptimizer 9.60.1708

#63 Post by smaragdus »

@nikkho
This is one of the rare cases when I like the new program icon than the old one, thanks. :D

nikkho

Re: FileOptimizer 9.60.1708

#64 Post by nikkho »

smaragdus wrote:@nikkho
This is one of the rare cases when I like the new program icon than the old one, thanks. :D
Thanks. All credit should go to Dorel from Megaleechers.com, who contributed hiring a graphic designer to create the new icon.

nikkho

#65 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 9.70 is available now: http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

9.70 - 2017/03/25
- Added INI setting IncludeMask=. If not empty, only files containing this mask (substring) on name or path will be included from optimization (user202jkl).
- Added ECT ZIP support.
- Updated custom builds with Visual C++ 2017 (jsmin, gifsicle, jpegoptim).
- Updated Ghostscript to 9.21.
- Updated Guetzli to 1.0.
- Updaded Tidy to 5.4.0.
- Updated libwebp to 0.6.0.
- Updated pingo to 0.76.
- Updated Leanify to 0.4.3.188 daily binaries.
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.5.3 with HDRI support.
- Some minor optimizations and code cleanup.

smaragdus

Re: FileOptimizer

#66 Post by smaragdus »

@nikkho

Hello Nikkho,

I have a question- why don't you use 7Z for the Portable (Full) release? FileOptimizer version 9.70.1745 (FileOptimizerFull.zip) is about 109 MB ZIP archive while when compressed in 7Z archive it is about 78 MB- a significant difference.

Special

#67 Post by Special »

Can 7z be opened on a freshly installed OS's? Without the need to install 7zip first? I remember back in the day .rar files for example were not even recognized by the OS, needing a 3rd party extractor first, .zip is probably just more universal.

Image if 7zip used 7z for their portable version but to open it you needed 7zip or similar installed first, so you had to hunt down an exe version of Winrar or 7zip then install it, just to save some space, but now I'm rambling...

webfork

#68 Post by webfork »

Orca wrote:
Special wrote:Can 7z be opened on a freshly installed OS's? Without the need to install 7zip first?
Yes. 7-Zip can create self-extracting archives: a self-extracting 7z archive is a mere 186KB larger.
As a lot of people are reluctant to distribute EXE files, self-extracting files of most formats haven't really caught on. No operating system outside of some Linux flavors can open .7z files without additional software.

To be clear, none of this affects FileOptimizer, which people assume will be an EXE, is hosted on SF.net, and -- due to its popularity -- will get analyzed by VirusTotal.

nikkho

#69 Post by nikkho »

In fact I use 7-Zip for the FileOptimizer ZIP distribution, but outputing a raw ZIP format instead of a 7z one. Reason is that portable users, are used to deal with ZIP files, and not with 7Z, that require a separate tool.

Of course, I could use 7-Zip SFX capabilities, but I guess, if you want an SFX, you could use the installer version, which is also using LZMA, same compression algorith as in 7-Zip.

nikkho

#70 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 9.80 is now ready - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer vía

9.80 - 2017/04/15
- Ribbon interface is removed as adviced in FileOptimizer 9.00.
- Added detection 7-ZIP SFX archives, since as other SFX data overlay gets stripped after optimization (FatBit).
- Updated to C++ Builder 10.2 Tokyo.
- Faster and slightly smaller 32 bit version thanks to be migrated to CLang backend (64 bit already was).
- Faster 32 and 64 bit versions thanks to new -O3 CLang backend optimizations.
- Improved pingo JPEG optimizations.
- Updated to pngwolf-zopli 1.1.2.
- Updated to mutool 1.11.
- Updated to ECT 0.7.0 (9090e23) x86 and x64 optimized builds (thanks Malloc Voidstar).
- Updated Guetzli to 1.0.1 (olavrb).
- Updated pingo to 0.79p.
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.5.4 with HDRI support.
- Updated to cppcheck 1.78.
- Some minor optimizations and code cleanup.

SYSTEM

#71 Post by SYSTEM »

nikkho wrote:FileOptimizer 9.80 is now ready - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer
Thank you. I updated the database entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Special

#72 Post by Special »

nikkho wrote:FileOptimizer 9.80 is now ready - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer vía

9.80 - 2017/04/15
Now it's just a blank page with no icons, it's really annoying to use now, also why is there Chinese being shown in all the options?

nikkho

#73 Post by nikkho »

Special wrote:
nikkho wrote:FileOptimizer 9.80 is now ready - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer vía

9.80 - 2017/04/15
Now it's just a blank page with no icons, it's really annoying to use now, also why is there Chinese being shown in all the options?
Can you post a screenshot with the blank page?
The chinesse text in shortcuts, seems to be a bug in C++ Builder 10.2 for the x64 release. I am investigating it, but with no much luck.

webfork

#74 Post by webfork »

nikkho wrote:The chinesse text in shortcuts, seems to be a bug in C++ Builder 10.2 for the x64 release. I am investigating it, but with no much luck.
Just tested 9.80.1769 (x86) and it seems to work fine.

nikkho

#75 Post by nikkho »

webfork wrote:
nikkho wrote:The chinesse text in shortcuts, seems to be a bug in C++ Builder 10.2 for the x64 release. I am investigating it, but with no much luck.
Just tested 9.80.1769 (x86) and it seems to work fine.
Yes. Also the debug 64 bits verions does not have the problem. So I played with compiler optimizations, but still no luck.