Vivaldi (Opera [inspired] browser alternative)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: Vivaldi - Opera Browser Alternative

#76 Post by joby_toss »

It's my secondary browser for some time now and I'm quite happy with it; no issues yet (I was using Slimjet before, but it kept crashing my video driver for some reason... even gave me 3 BSOD's).

shnbwmn

Re: Vivaldi 1.6

#77 Post by shnbwmn »

Major features/changes:
  • Tab Notifications
  • The ability to rename Tab Stacks
  • Tab Selection

joby_toss

#79 Post by joby_toss »

I have no idea why I can't find this entry in the database, can't imagine how no one added Vivaldi yet... :)

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2869

Attention: Not stealth - saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi registry branch.

Note: carefully read the EULA (vivaldi://terms or pastebin) and privacy policy (vivaldi.com/privacy/browser).
Optional: go to Settings > Privacy > Report Diagnostics and disable it.
You can also delete additional Locales you don't need, to free up space.

Note2: one can also go through the installation process which provides an "Install standalone" option, but I find that it leaves too many things behind.

P.S. Please, keep in mind that Vivaldi is in no way the perfect portable browser (issues with losing some preferences when switching computers), so I don't think it's quite ready for the database, but I still wanted to create this entry!

webfork

#80 Post by webfork »

I've done a bit to the description and extract instructions. Hopefully that helps.

I also changed the License from "Freeware with open source components" to just "Freeware". I did this because I don't want to imply that Vivaldi is in any sense open source and lots of programs have open components.

Ennovy

#81 Post by Ennovy »

Thanks @joby_toss I voted.

Very good description on how to extract, it works fine.

What if an update arrives? Can you describe what's the best way to update?

joby_toss

#82 Post by joby_toss »

Sure, here's what I do:
-extract the new installer in the same way (steps 1&2)
-enter Application folder from existing version and delete the launcher vivaldi.exe and the folder containing the app itself, the one with the numbers (1.6.689.40)
-copy from the new version the new numbered folder (1.7.725.3) and the new vivaldi.exe launcher file

Basically you need to keep your User Data folder and the stp.viv file.

I just don't understand why they don't allow the profile folder to be saved inside Application folder (it has to be one level up)...

SYSTEM

#83 Post by SYSTEM »

Ennovy wrote:What if an update arrives? Can you describe what's the best way to update?
I just use the auto-updater. It likely leaves traces, but I don't care about them.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

HairyPorter

#84 Post by HairyPorter »

joby_toss wrote:saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi [...] issues with losing some preferences when switching computers
Vivaldi's newborn (& already public) database entry states: "Writes settings to: Application folder: /User Data", but doesn't mention that some settings (... Which ones ? Stored at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Vivaldii ?) are lost when Vivaldi's no-install folder is moved between PCs.

Perhaps some sort of remark on the entry to alert potential users ?

SYSTEM

#85 Post by SYSTEM »

HairyPorter wrote:
joby_toss wrote:saves multiple settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Vivaldi [...] issues with losing some preferences when switching computers
Vivaldi's newborn (& already public) database entry states: "Writes settings to: Application folder: /User Data", but doesn't mention that some settings (... Which ones ? Stored at HKCU\SOFTWARE\Vivaldii ?) are lost when Vivaldi's no-install folder is moved between PCs.

Perhaps some sort of remark on the entry to alert potential users ?
I added such a remark.

Ennovy

#86 Post by Ennovy »

joby_toss wrote:Sure, here's what I do:
-extract the new installer in the same way (steps 1&2)
-enter Application folder from existing version and delete the launcher vivaldi.exe and the folder containing the app itself, the one with the numbers (1.6.689.40)
-copy from the new version the new numbered folder (1.7.725.3) and the new vivaldi.exe launcher file

Basically you need to keep your User Data folder and the stp.viv file.

I just don't understand why they don't allow the profile folder to be saved inside Application folder (it has to be one level up)...
@joby_toss Thank you!

freakazoid

#88 Post by freakazoid »

I couldn't get Vivaldi running with the provided TPFC instructions on Windows 10.

Once I try to run Vivaldi, I see two vivaldi.exe processes in the Task Manager, but they quickly close afterwards.

However, I was able to get Vivaldi running using the regular standalone installer process.

This is with Vivaldi 1.7.735.46.

If you use the standalone installer, Vivaldi copies the entire vivaldi.7z and setup.exe file into its folder. Uncompressed filesize when using this method is 326 MB.
is it stealth? ;)

SYSTEM

#89 Post by SYSTEM »

freakazoid wrote:If you use the standalone installer, Vivaldi copies the entire vivaldi.7z and setup.exe file into its folder. Uncompressed filesize when using this method is 326 MB.
Likely reason for that is support for delta updates. A delta update contains the difference, or delta, relative to the previous version, which is useless on its own (without the previous vivaldi.7z).

webfork

#90 Post by webfork »

I did some limited testing and found some nice bits, but certainly not a replacement for the old Opera. Beyond the smooth interface and nifty "Page Actions" at the bottom of the browser window, I didn't see anything drastic or amazing. I will say it pulls away from the minimalist design concept that Chrome aims for, which is nice to see.

Other notes:

* Needless to say, it's Chrome-based so you're looking at lots of processes, lots of RAM even before you connect to the internet.
* Very customizable, lots of skins, tab tweaks
* I really liked the "Display all" option in the settings that just puts all settings in one, long list. I'd love to see other settings programs adopt this. They also have a settings search box, which is nice but not new.

I definitely would uncheck "Report Diagnostics" in the Settings - Privacy tab.