FileOptimizer - broad format compression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: FileOptimizer - broad format compression

#46 Post by joby_toss »

FileOptimizer v9.00 wrote:New in this version:

Ribbon interface is by default disabled, and replaced by traditional menus. There is a new Appearance tab under Options dialog where you can reenable it.[...]

smaragdus

Re: FileOptimizer

#47 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
This is great piece of news- for me ribbon disabled is better than ribbon minimized.
I don't find a way to make FileOptimizer remember its window size and position on desktop. It seems that this can be achieved by manually editing the INI file but this is not very handy for me. So I would appreciate "Remember window size and position" option.

webfork

#48 Post by webfork »

This program just keeps saving us bandwidth. Although I've been using it on existing site animated GIFs, I hit some dramatic space savings on the USBFlashCopy file via FileOptimizer. It went from 87k to 56k (65% of the original).

smaragdus

Re: FileOptimizer 9.10.1575

#49 Post by smaragdus »

I don't find a way to make FileOptimizer remember its window size and position on desktop. It seems that this can be achieved by manually editing the INI file but this is not very handy for me. So I would appreciate "Remember window size and position" option.
Now FileOptimizer (version 9.10.1575) remembers its desktop position by default- a undocumented tiny yet great enhancement. Or perhaps this change is described in this line:
Some minor optimizations and code cleanup.
I have the suspicion that the developer is reading this forum. If so- many thanks, Mr Chamorro for your excellent work on FileOptimizer, I appreciate your continuous efforts to make FileOptimizer even better very much!

nikkho

#50 Post by nikkho »

smaragdus wrote:I have the suspicion that the developer is reading this forum. If so- many thanks, Mr Chamorro for your excellent work on FileOptimizer, I appreciate your continuous efforts to make FileOptimizer even better very much!
You are right, I am the FileOptimizer developer, and I have been reading the forum, and watching your comments and suggestions since a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately I did not had time to register here, and thank you everyone for you support in making FO more popular. And when did, my post was deleted by the moderator, so just trying again to let you know I am here.

webfork

#51 Post by webfork »

nikkho wrote:my post was deleted by the moderator, so just trying again to let you know I am here.
Well I hope that wasn't my doing. Sorry if it was.
nikkho wrote:You are right, I am the FileOptimizer developer, and I have been reading the forum, and watching your comments and suggestions since a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I did not had time to register here, and thank you everyone for you support in making FO more popular.
Anyway, welcome to the forums and I'm glad we could help out. I use FO frequently and love how it just gets better and better. Thanks!

smaragdus

#52 Post by smaragdus »

@nikkho

Welcome to the forum, I am glad to see you here too!

I do not use FileOptimizer very often but is a unique and extremely useful tool. Perhaps I am the greatest ribbon-hater here so I would like to thank you for making it optional- this made me happy because I never expected it would happen. ;)

Moderators here are not too many and they are as friendly as the users so I really can't imagine what happened, perhaps it was a kind of mistake or misunderstanding and I am convinced it won't happen again. ;)

Keep your great work on FileOptimizer.

nikkho

#53 Post by nikkho »

webfork wrote:Well I hope that wasn't my doing. Sorry if it was.
Not sure. When posted, I received a message that my first post should we waiting for a moderator approval. Then I received an email saying it was rejected because it was not relevant.
smaragdus wrote:I do not use FileOptimizer very often but is a unique and extremely useful tool. Perhaps I am the greatest ribbon-hater here so I would like to thank you for making it optional- this made me happy because I never expected it would happen. ;)
Well it was not an easy task, and took some time, so I had other priorities than removing the ribbon. But it was a technical/legal issue.

Thing is that using the ribbon in your app, requires a free license from Microsoft. Unfortunately the MS page that handles that died. Furthermore, new C++ Builder 10.1, does not come with ribbon component anymore because of that, so when I upgrade, the ribbon will be lost.

So I was forced to implement classic menus again, and in the transition, I managed to keep the ribbon too.

nikkho

#54 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 9.30 is out. As usual, you can grab it from the official site at: http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

9.30 - 2016/11/26
- Installer now supports the /AllUsers argument to install for all users instead of current user (Grahame Bevan).
- Fixed remove selected files (Shift-Del) always enabled since 9.00 when unified ribbon and regular UI (TPS).
- Added original and optimized sizes in log file (JoeW).
- Fixed a bug in mutool that prevented execution on PDF (LeTiger).
- Disabled Leanify from the JPEG, PNG and ICO toolchains when copy metadata is enabled, because it removed IPTC information (ZonaCasio).
- Updated AdvanceCOMP to 1.23.
- Updated to ECT 0.6.2.0 -511fa96- x86 and x64 optimized builds (thanks Malloc Voidstar).
- Updated jsmin custom build with Visual C++ 2015.
- Updated Leanify to 0.4.3.172 daily binaries.
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.3.7 with HDRI support.
- Updated PngOptimizer to 2.5.
- Updated Ghostscript to 9.20.
- Updated strip to 2.27.
- Updated to mutool 1.10RC2.
- Better performance updating to ASMLib 2.50 with AVX512 support.
- Updated to cppcheck 1.76.
- Upgraded distributions to 7-Zip 16.04.
- Some minor optimizations and code cleanup.

webfork

#55 Post by webfork »

nikkho wrote:FileOptimizer 9.30 is out
Great news, thanks.

nikkho

#56 Post by nikkho »

First 2017 FileOptimizer release. Get File Optimizer 9.40 for free at: http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

9.40 - 2017/01/06
- Added INI setting PDFSkipLayered=false to skip processing of PDF containing layers Optional Content Groups -OCG- (Grahame Bevan).
- Implemented using Win64 plugins in all Win64 system, even if you run Win32 version of FileOptimizer.
- Added removing metadata in pngquant if PNGCopyMetadata is disabled.
- Added Guetzli to the JPEG tool chain when allow lossy compression is enabled (Jyrki Alakuijala).
- Added pingo to the JPEG and PNG toolchains when copy metadata is disabled.
- Reenabled Leanify in JPEG processing when Copy Metadata is enabled, because now we can use --jpeg-keep-all-metadata.
- Fixed crashing with temporary paths longer than 260 characters (Roman Luks).
- Updated pingo to 0.52.
- Updated libwebp to 0.5.2.
- Updated UPX to 3.92.
- Updated Leanify to 0.4.3.173 daily binaries.
- Updated pngquant to 2.8.0.
- Updated to mutool 1.10a with x64 native build (thanks Dirk Paehl).
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.4.2 with HDRI support.
- Better performance updating to ASMLib 2.51 with AVX512 support.
- Updated to cppcheck 1.77.
- Updated to NSIS 3.01.

webfork

#57 Post by webfork »

Great stuff, thanks for your continued work on this. I appreciate your work to keep adding metadata options. I have applications where I specifically want to zap it and places where I specifically want to keep it while compression so having that capability is very helpful.

nikkho

#58 Post by nikkho »

webfork wrote:Great stuff, thanks for your continued work on this. I appreciate your work to keep adding metadata options. I have applications where I specifically want to zap it and places where I specifically want to keep it while compression so having that capability is very helpful.
Sure. FileOptimizer needs to be flexible enough to keep original format features when needed.
Thanks to you.

nikkho

FileOptimizer 9.50 released

#59 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 9.50 is out. It is a recommended upgrade if using 9.30 or later - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

9.50 - 2017/01/10
- Fixed a regression since FileOptimizer 9.30, that could avoid some plugin optimizations to not being applied (Armin Mueller, signalman).
- Fixed a bug when LogLevel was 4, when Optimized Size could be reported as 0 bytes in some situations.
- Updated pingo to 0.52c.
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.4.3 with HDRI support.

nikkho

#60 Post by nikkho »

FileOptimizer 9.60 has been released - http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

9.60 - 2017/02/18
- Brand new FileOptimizer icon (Thanks Dorel Megaleechers.com).
- Added descriptions in INI file to make it easier and safer to be modified.
- Migrated from smpdf to cpdf (maadjordan).
- Fixed a bug that could show optimized sizes larger than original, when the plugin execution increased it. It was only cosmetic, and optimized size, never was larger (Pepper Andrino).
- Ghostrcript is automatically disabled when no downsampling is selected, because it is always downsampling images even if -dDownsampleColorImages=false -dDownsampleGrayImages=false -dDownsampleMonoImages=false are specified (olavrb).
- Make sure TempDirectory is created to avoid certain plugins crash (Newtomic).
- Patched Guetzli and Mutool plugins to be compatible with Windows XP (thanks Jaff for the patch).
- Switched to libwebp without WIC codes to keep Windows XP compatibility (Jaff).
- Fixed not properly passing PDF profile to Ghostcript (#9 Runer112).
- Updated UPX to 3.93.
- Updated libwebp to 0.6.0 RC3.
- Updated mozjpeg to 3.2 (Thanks AiZ).
- Updated Leanify to 0.4.3.180 daily binaries.
- Updated ImageMagick 7.0.4.7 with HDRI support.
- Updated pingo to 0.59.
- Updated pngquant to 2.8.1 (dado023).