MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe

#16 Post by smaragdus »

Latest 2.1.0 can be used portably too. When it is run from any removable device then it saves its data to folder where it is run from. Otherwise it saves data to AppFolder.
I will not run a program from an external drive just to be able to use it in portable mode.

My suggestion about the database entry- it should either be down-voted or download links to last portable release (2.0.1.0 - I have both x32 and x64 versions) should be provided.

billon

#17 Post by billon »

@mitzix:

Are you Michal Mutl? Welcome to TPFC.
Why you don't want to make your programs stealth? Why using registry and %APPDATA%? You have so many useful programs, but only Windows File Analyzer stealth. So you can make completely portable and stealth programs when you want, why you don't want to make others? What a pity

mitzix

#18 Post by mitzix »

Yes i am. But what means stealth? No persistent settings, layout etc? Where to save these information to be stealth according to your reqs? I can make saving of these data optional if you want.

SYSTEM

#19 Post by SYSTEM »

mitzix wrote:Yes i am. But what means stealth? No persistent settings, layout etc? Where to save these information to be stealth according to your reqs? I can make saving of these data optional if you want.
We have defined stealth here: https://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php#stealth

The important part for smaragdus and billon is ability to run the program in portable mode even from an internal drive. You could add a command-line parameter, for example.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Userfriendly

#20 Post by Userfriendly »

mitzix wrote:Yes i am. But what means stealth? No persistent settings, layout etc? Where to save these information to be stealth according to your reqs? I can make saving of these data optional if you want.
Stealth means it doesn't not leave behind settings in the registry or filesystem such as %AppData% and %TEMP%. The application should ideally save its settings in an .INI file (.CFG, .XML, .JSON, etc.) inside the executable directory.

One method for portablization is to have the app look for the configuration file within the executable directory first. So if a TMX.ini file is in the executable folder, then settings should be read and written there. It should take priority over the one in %AppData% if it also exists.

Another way is to make it look for a blank "portable" file so app should know to be in portable mode and save TMX.ini in executable directory. Deleting the "portable" dummy file should revert the app to saving in %AppData%.

Least desirable way is the command-line parameter like SYSTEM suggested. It just annoying to make a batch file launcher or shortcut with the command-line switch.

mitzix

#21 Post by mitzix »

well, new version 2.1.1 has been released. By default nothing is saved, user can choose in Preferences dialog whether settings and layout have to be persistent (saved) or not. Once settings file exists, it is read even if persistent option is set off.

Userfriendly

#22 Post by Userfriendly »

Well not saving any settings works too. Though not exactly perfectly implemented. Still leaves empty folders behind %USERAPPDATA%\MiTeC\Task Manager DeLuxe.

The calling home thing billon is worried about is the update check. So if billon wanted to disable the update check he would have to sacrifice privacy and maybe internet bandwidth for portability. Even though in my opinion, most of the settings including the update check are inconsequential. This is a deal breaker for some.

mitzix

#23 Post by mitzix »

Wow, my fault. Thanks. Now version 2.1.2 is out. fixed path creation, update check is false by default and new menu entry Check for update added.

billon

#24 Post by billon »

@mitzix:

Thank you!
But how about not stopping here and make your other programs stealth? Such as Windows Registry Recovery, SQLite Query, Mail Viewer, EXE Explorer etc. Or may be even ALL your programs?
That's will be really great!

mitzix

#25 Post by mitzix »

will do, but it takes time :) try to get me priorities. which apps first?

joby_toss

#26 Post by joby_toss »

InfoBar and Windows Registry Recovery? Doesn't matter, just wanted to say Thank you! :)

billon

#27 Post by billon »

@mitzix:

That's very good! Do it like it would be comfortable for you. May be starting with progs which already in the database, like Windows Registry Recovery or MiTeC DirList? Your other programs were mentioned in the forum many times. It's all your choice.
Of course they will be immediately added to the TPFC database.
Thank you again!

mitzix

#28 Post by mitzix »

DirList and WRR fixed and released.

billon

#29 Post by billon »

Wow, that was fast! :D
Thank you very much!

Where you been all that years :mrgreen:

billon

#30 Post by billon »

MiTeC Structured Storage Viewer...
MiTeC XML Viewer...
MiTeC JSON Viewer...
MiTeC Icon Explorer...
MiTeC Mail Viewer...

Optional persistent layout and settings.
:shock: