jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
jabuTBackup

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#31 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi everyone,

because of an sickness I couldn't do anything until now.
I restart developing this evening. The next build with some little changes goes online tomorrow.

Another update (performance update, version 41) goes online later next week I hope.

Current changelog for version 40 (update online):
  1. Added parameter "-showmessageonfinish"
  2. Added correct shortcut texts for non-german keyboards
  3. Added encryption for sensitive data in the settings file
  4. Added ability to copy files with way more than 260 characters
  5. Added an indication to show the current profile is being prepared
  6. Added ability to put multiple selected profiles at once into another group
  7. Added ability use _ and + (underscore, plus) in profile names
  8. Dialogue with detailed information is now updating the GUI slower (=better)
  9. If the source and destination files are indentic, they will be skipped in Mirror copy
  10. Increased max profile name length from 30 to 64 characters
  11. Program is now displaying all profiles in the Jump List no matter which group is active
  12. Limited the maximum profile number currently to 70
  13. Fixed error "Size-Label is randomly displaying '0 Byte' in details list view"
  14. Fixed statistic displaying negative values
  15. Fixed an access violation bug when sorting profile list columns
  16. Fixed an access violation when reloading the profile list
  17. Fixed untranslated text in profile popup menu
  18. Fixed error "When closing the program while a profile is running the program stops working randomly"
  19. Fixed broken -restart parameter taken with from 10.0.37

SYSTEM

#32 Post by SYSTEM »

jabut-backup wrote:Current changelog for version 40 (update online):
Thank you. I updated the database entry. :)

BTW, in the future, please create a separate post when you release an update. I almost missed the update because you had edited your existing post instead (my feed reader doesn't notify me when posts are edited).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

jabuTBackup

#33 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello SYSTEM,
there is also a little change relating to the installer:
Download installer
Run the installer and choose an installation folder
During installation check both the Don't create a Start Menu folder and Install as a portable version boxes
Optionally, uncheck Create a desktop icon and Create a Quick Launch icon boxes
Finish the installation and launch jaBuT.exe
The Installer isn't needed anymore. I uploaded, after years finally, two ZIP-Archives (portable). Like this people can directly download this archive and the program is portable instantly.
Last edited by jabuTBackup on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#34 Post by SYSTEM »

jabut-backup wrote:Hello SYSTEM,
there is also a little change relating to the installer:
Download the x32 or x64 installer depending on your system
Run the installer and choose an installation folder
During installation check both the Don't create a Start Menu folder and Install as a portable version boxes
Optionally, uncheck Create a desktop icon and Create a Quick Launch icon boxes
Finish the installation and launch jaBuT.exe
The Installer isn't needed anymore. I uploaded, after years finally, two ZIP-Archives (portable). Like this people can directly download this archive and the program is portable instantly.
Great. :) I changed the extraction instructions.

sl23

#35 Post by sl23 »

Wow! Just found this in the latest news section. I'm very impressed, though I have yet to test it thoroughly! I'm so glad I may finally have found a replacement for FreeFileSync! I really liked that program but it just became a nuisance trying to make it portable.

Thank you so much for all your efforts, I look forward to the future of this app. :D

jabuTBackup

#36 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello,
you are welcome sl23 and thank you very much for your feedback =)

FileHandler

#37 Post by FileHandler »

sl23 wrote: I'm very impressed, though I have yet to test it thoroughly! I'm so glad I may finally have found a replacement for FreeFileSync!
Same here.
jaBuT shows a lot of promising potential. I am really looking forward to seeing it grow and meet up with some of the big guys in this league.

Some notes:
Minimizing to tray is nice - but how in the world do I get it out of there again? The tray symbol offers no left- or right-click menus. Had to shoot it down with TaskMananger to be able to unplug my gear.

Exit vs Close - what's the distinction here? I mean, I know you can close open files vs exiting the whole app. But what's being kept open in a backup solution? And how do I close it then?

ATM it seems that when I "close" the whole app via the X in the upper right heeds my "min to tray" setting, whereas if I "exit" via the File menu it's gone for good. IOW, terminating the app via the X ist not the same as doing so in the menu. Very unusal imo, and not very intuitive. AFAIK, clicking the X usually means the same as clicking File > Exit. In any case, there should be some reaction when clicking on the tray icon. Otherwise it makes you think it's frozen up and not responding anymore.

The important thing: it gets the task done. Took good care of my backups, everything as I expected, fast and smooth. :D

If both sides are identical, the user is left in the open, wondering if the sync ran it's course or what. It were nice to receive some kind of feedback, to see at least an empty list as a visual indicator, or to get a message "Both sides seem to be identical" - or anything along that line.

The commandline is much more informative in that respect. Thanks for adding -showmessageonfinish. Can you make it work along with -exit? I don't want jaBuT to stay open, it should just run the sync, inform me about sucess or errors - and when I acknowledge the info, it shuts down or disappears into the tray.

Is there a way to do that? ATM using -exit ruins the -showmessageonfinish advantage, and I am not quite sure how other options like -nopreview or -tempprogress -progressdetails fit into the picture. What exactly is -silent supposed to do? Can't see much difference here. Does it matter in what order the parameters are specified?

jabuTBackup

#38 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello FileHandler! Thank you for your feedback.
ATM it seems that when I "close" the whole app via the X in the upper right heeds my "min to tray" setting, whereas if I "exit" via the File menu it's gone for good. IOW, terminating the app via the X ist not the same as doing so in the menu. Very unusal imo, and not very intuitive. AFAIK, clicking the X usually means the same as clicking File > Exit. In any case, there should be some reaction when clicking on the tray icon. Otherwise it makes you think it's frozen up and not responding anymore.
This has just been changed. The changelog entry is:

Code: Select all

The default behaviour when clicking on the red X in the system bar has been changed. Until version 10.0.40 the program minimized
to the system tray by default. This behaviour has been changed. Now, by default, the program is being closed.
There is still an option to minimize it to the system tray when closing.
jaBuT - Program closing when hitting [ X ].jpg
Minimizing to tray is nice - but how in the world do I get it out of there again? The tray symbol offers no left- or right-click menus. Had to shoot it down with TaskMananger to be able to unplug my gear.
This needs to be a problem with your operating system. I tested jaBuT Backup von XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and I never got this problem. What system do you use?
If both sides are identical, the user is left in the open, wondering if the sync ran it's course or what.
The message has just been added.
jaBuT - New Tray Message.jpg
Thanks for adding -showmessageonfinish. Can you make it work along with -exit?
This has been changed too. Will be available in version 10.0.41.
ATM using -exit ruins the -showmessageonfinish advantage, and I am not quite sure how other options like -nopreview or -tempprogress -progressdetails fit into the picture.
-showmessageonfinish should be compatible with everything. My following test was fine:

Code: Select all

> jabut.exe -runprofile "Test Profile" -showmessageonfinish -exit -nopreview -tempprogress traywindow -multithreading 4
Does it matter in what order the parameters are specified?
It's not very important. The only thing to respect is:
when starting a profile with -runprofile, -rungroup or -runprofilegroup, the only fixed parameter is the second - it's the name of the profile.
Everything else can be mixed.

The changes will be available in version 10.0.41. It's still not the performance update, sorry =(
Currently also the jabut-server is offline and I do not know when he is coming back online. (server is again online - thankfully to my web hoster)

jabuTBackup

#39 Post by jabuTBackup »

Update 10.0.41 is now available. The changelog is ...
  1. Added a system tray message which pops up when a profile run was finished without doing anything
  2. Added a "Do not show this dialouge again" option to the "More than 10.000 files were found" dialouge
  3. Added system log entry "jaBuT Backup displayed in N milli seconds"
  4. Improved the performance of the details dialogs again a little bit
  5. Improved a bunch of old code to some modern one
  6. Changed the default behaviour of the red X when closing the program (see notes below)
  7. -exit parameter now working together with -showmessageonfinish parameter
  8. -showmessageonfinish dialouge is now being displayed faster
  9. Profile Properties dialouge not asking anymore to really close when just copying the profile name
  10. Improved some minor GUI behaviours (e.g. resizing the program now resizes the profile list columns)
  11. Profiles are now being executed faster when starting with parameters
  12. Fixed error "Updater not deleting temporary update directory on finish"
  13. Fixed duplicate saved entry "Profile run cancelled" in system log
  14. Fixed an error which causes a freeze when copying many files (probably)
  15. Fixed an error which caused many "File in use" log entries
This update can be downloaded through be internal updater or from the website as executable or zip file.

SYSTEM

#40 Post by SYSTEM »

jabut-backup wrote:Update 10.0.41 is now available.
Thank you. I updated the entry. :)

(The update didn't bring jaBuT to the main page because it has been less than a week from the last update.)

jabuTBackup

#41 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello,

unfortunately there has been another update just a few minutes ago. I messed up a thing in version 41 which has been fixed in version 42.
In other words: I deleted a line of code by accident and I didn't see it.

FileHandler

#42 Post by FileHandler »

Thanks for the update,

will run it on "real world" data this week, IOW some serious test conditions ahead - will report back in a week :)

jabuTBackup

#43 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello FileHandler,

do not forget to download the latest version.
In version 42 and 43 I forgot to switch back some variables from testing mode.

This evening there will be another little update version 45 with some log changesand other internal stuff.

I also improved the program start a little bit. The program should now start on a fast HDD and a relatively fast computer in slightly less than 1 second without start screen.

SYSTEM

#44 Post by SYSTEM »

jabut-backup wrote:Hello FileHandler,

do not forget to download the latest version.
In version 42 and 43 I forgot to switch back some variables from testing mode.
Entry updated to version 10.0.44.

jabuTBackup

#45 Post by jabuTBackup »

Little announcement:

the next update will be probably the performance update.
If it's not the performance update, it will contain some improvements and changes anyway.
Estimated time until release: unfortunately unknown but normally until the end of the week.

Current state:
  1. Added "Version" to the information sent by the contact form (see notes below)
  2. When using the contact form, name and e-mail is no longer needed
  3. Improved the speed of getting all files in a directory by about 32% (see notes below)
  4. Statistic and directory calculation can now handle sizes up to 8,00 exabyte
  5. Reduced the overhead when using vista-compatible copy file routines
  6. Reduced the overhead when preparing a profile run
  7. Directory size is no longer calculated directly after the program started
  8. Fixed an error which caused the statistic counting all copied bytes twice
  9. Fixed error "Program is freezing when changing the language in 10.0.45"
Contact form:
The contact form is now sending the following information:
- your name (if given)
- a subject (always needed)
- your message (always needed)
- your e-mail adress (if given)
- the program version (automatically)

Speed improvement by about 32%:
The speed of the function which creates the file list before preparing the profile has been improved by about 32%.
File comparisons are done after the list has been created.