WebTorrent Desktop

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: WebTorrent

#16 Post by smaragdus »

I tested again WebTorrent versions 0.16.0 and 0.17.0. This time it really managed to download a torrent:

but it didn't use Portable Settings folder writing directly to AppData in stead:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\WebTorrent

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\WebTorrent

WebTorrent comes with some pre-added trash:

and I have to confirm when removing every single piece of trash:

which is very annoying.

More- WebTorrent comes with some extremely annoying sounds which cannot be disabled.

File menu doesn't have Quit command so one needs to close it to tray first to be able to exit it, (close to tray, right click- Quit). For such impudent rascals I have Process Closer always running, for me Process Closer is faster than using a task manager.

This is the worst torrent client I have ever tested. WebTorrent is not portable, it offers almost no customization, it is heavy, it is annoying. I wasted too much time with it but this is the last time I touch it. For me WebTorrent is absolutely hopeless- hopelessly modern and hopelessly dumb.

feross

Re: WebTorrent Desktop

#17 Post by feross »

I haven't read this entire thread, but thanks for giving WebTorrent Desktop a try.

> it didn't use Portable Settings folder writing directly to AppData instead

This sounds like a bug. There is a GitHub issue filed here: https://github.com/feross/webtorrent-desktop/issues/971 It should be fixed in the next version.

As for your other issues, like resource usage, we're working to do better at reducing the number of open file descriptors and limiting concurrent connections. It's labeled "BETA" in big huge letters at the top of the app for a reason. I care a lot about performance, so expect this to keep improving.

Despite the beta limitations, hundreds of thousands of users are switching over from other clients. https://torrentfreak.com/webtorrent-250 ... ue-160827/
Last edited by feross on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaragdus

Re: WebTorrent

#18 Post by smaragdus »

@feross

Welcome to the forum.

I see that the loss of portability in the latest version has been fixed, thanks.

Please consider some tiny improvements:
  • Exit command in File menu.
  • An option to disable program sounds.
Please don't take offence at my previous comment- I am very picky about torrent clients- I think I have tested almost all ones available for Windows and none of them pleases me completely.

When WebTorrent's portability is restored I may have another look at it.

Regards and happy programming.

joby_toss

#19 Post by joby_toss »

Interesting TF article:
A popular YouTuber is experimenting with torrent-based technology in order to take control of his content and avoid third-party censorship. Bluedrake says that the potential for freedom when using WebTorrent "blows his mind" and has already carried out tests to get the project underway.

SYSTEM

#20 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:Interesting TF article:
A popular YouTuber is experimenting with torrent-based technology in order to take control of his content and avoid third-party censorship. Bluedrake says that the potential for freedom when using WebTorrent "blows his mind" and has already carried out tests to get the project underway.
Funny that Bluedrake complains about demonetization and not censorship. How exactly does he plan to make money in WebTorrent? Ads? ;)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#21 Post by joby_toss »

I don't know, but if he envisions something like a voluntary crowd funding system, he is dead wrong! :)

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Looks like v.0.18.0 came out back in February: https://github.com/webtorrent/webtorren ... on-history