Neard - portable WAMP stack

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
shnbwmn

Neard - portable WAMP stack

#1 Post by shnbwmn »

Github: https://github.com/crazy-max/neard
(formerly hosted @ Sourceforge)
Authors wrote:Neard is a portable WAMP software stack involving useful binaries, tools and applications for your web development.

Binaries
  • Apache, the world's most used web server software.
  • Filezilla, a FTP server application.
  • MailHog, a Web and API based SMTP testing.
  • MariaDB, a community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database management system.
  • MySQL, an open-source relational database management system.
  • Node.js, an open-source, cross-platform runtime environment for developing server-side web applications.
  • PHP, a server-side scripting language designed for web development including PEAR and extra extensions.
Applications
  • Adminer, (formerly phpMinAdmin) is a full-featured database management tool written in PHP.
  • GitList, an elegant and modern git repository viewer.
  • phpMyAdmin, to handle the administration of MySQL and MariaDB over the Web.
  • Webgrind, the Xdebug Profiling Web Frontend in PHP.
  • WebSVN, an Online subversion repository browser.
Tools
  • Composer, Dependency Manager for PHP.
  • Console, a multi command prompt with TCC/LE and ANSICON.
  • Drush, a command line shell and scripting interface for Drupal.
  • Git, a widely used version control system for software development.
  • HostsEditor, a small application for editing windows Hosts file.
  • ImageMagick, a free and open-source software suite to manipulate image files.
  • Notepad2-mod, a fork of Notepad2 text editor with syntax highlighting.
  • PhpMetrics, gives metrics about PHP project and classes.
  • PHPUnit, a programmer-oriented testing framework for PHP.
  • SVN, a software versioning and revision control system.
  • WP-CLI, a command line interface for WordPress.
  • XDebugClient, a simple frontend for XDebug.
And many other features.
Image Image

Requires admin rights. That page has some more requirements, particularly for WinXP.

Beware that it weighs in at 906Mb uncompressed. Untested!

webfork

Re: Neard - portable WAMP stack

#2 Post by webfork »

I have more to say about this but for now a few quick notes:

License: GPLv3

* Most importantly, Filezilla Server to this point hasn't been portable, so if they just made that happen, I already have a very specific reason to download. I'm a big fan of that program.

* In terms of size, I'm pretty sure that makes it the biggest program on the site. Still, storage is cheap.

* I know I've heard people complain that an inteface isn't very good or it's cluttered, or whatever but I don't recall the last time someone said "boy I wish this had fewer features". At least on this point, the program is a monster. I just want to download it and maybe someday I'll dig through and figure out what I need. It happened with LibreOffice and that program changed my life.

webfork

Re: Neard - portable WAMP stack

#3 Post by webfork »

I thought for years that any minute now some web server system and use a simple web browser to offer a ton of wonderful portable tools and features. Once a few excellent local apps came about, desktop users simply wouldn't be able to ignore the progress anymore and it would become like jPortable: a big download but worth the time.

This may still happen but our site so far hasn't been terribly excited about various Apache stacks just because they seem to have a pretty high barrier to entry. (Don't know what an .htaccess file is? Neither did I.) Also, I'm not sure how actively these programs are updated and managed, which is a big deal if you're using this as a legit server and not just a local software tool.