Firefox Hello (discontinued)

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

Firefox Hello (discontinued)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/ ... efox-beta/
Firefox Hello provides more value to Firefox users by making it easier to communicate with your friends and family who might not have the same video chat service, software or hardware as you. It’s free to make voice and video calls and there’s no need to download software, plugins or even create an account. It’s ready to go as soon as you open Firefox Beta by clicking on the ‘chat bubble’ icon under the customize menu. Hello allows you to connect with anyone who has a WebRTC-enabled browser, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Instructions: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... guest-mode

I'm quite excited about this new feature!

freakazoid

Re: Firefox Hello

#2 Post by freakazoid »

I think it's kinda weird to have a built-in IM / VOIP client in a browser... maybe it's just me.

This sort of thing would be better suited to Thunderbird since it already has an Address Book and Chat functionality.
is it stealth? ;)

Checker

#3 Post by Checker »

Like Image
Looking forward to have an android version.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/hello-status
Mozilla wrote:Support for Hello discontinued in Firefox 49

On September 13, 2016, Firefox Hello will be discontinued and removed from Firefox. This will happen automatically when you update to version 49 of Firefox -- no extra steps are needed.

Here are a few alternatives to Hello. We hope you’ll find one you’ll like:
  • Talky: Provides both video and screen sharing using WebRTC.
    Cisco Spark: Create rooms for video calling, group messaging and sharing.
    Appear.in: Group video calling for up to eight people.
    Jitsi Meet: Group video calling and screen sharing using WebRTC.
Thank you for supporting the Hello beta. We will continue to develop and improve WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communications), the underlying technology for Hello.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Support for Hello discontinued in Firefox 49
I can definitely say why I didn't use it. On an earlier point made in the thread:
I think it's kinda weird to have a built-in IM / VOIP client in a browser... maybe it's just me.
It really needed a user list similar to instant message tools, which are of course present in Thunderbird. I don't want to exchange connection data with anyone more than once if I can help it. I already have a hard enough time getting anyone to communicate with me via anything other than SMS messaging.

For a short time there EVERYONE I knew was on Google Talk and then that abruptly quit using it, I think around the product confusion created by "Hangouts" or whatever. *shrug*