Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
smaragdus

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#196 Post by smaragdus »

There will always be solutions for this kind of problems...
Yes, but with a single sweep of his mighty updates the almighty Sauron (Satyan) will shatter all these feeble weapons to pieces. As someone wiser than me has said:
One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
One OS to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.
these solutions will be always short-term, inefficient and more a kind of a placebo than real solutions.

The digital slavery is coming and I am desperate to see how easily people accept to be slaves.

smaragdus

#197 Post by smaragdus »

I would like to quote another insightful comment I have read and I fully agree with:
The way I hear it. Microsoft has been quietly buying up as many patents related to Linux they possibly can. Their end games is to use those patients to bully any and all that stand in their way of hijacking Linux and making it theirs. If you think they can not or would not, then you know nothing of Microsoft's past business history. They are ruthless and disgusting when it comes to sleazy business practices. They know that the NT kernel is dated and has seen its' day. Microsoft has never been know for innovation. They have always begged, borrowed, bought or stolen everything they have ever had. And if they bought it, 999 times out of a 1,000 the did not pay anything near what it was worth.
The future is murky and terrifying. I can imagine a horrible scenario in the not so distant future, when, after updating Linux, one sees a message- "Welcome to Microsoft LInux...". If we don't fight for our rights and for our privacy we are condemned to total bondage and since we don't even try to fight we are doomed.

webfork

#198 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:If we don't fight for our rights and for our privacy we are condemned to total bondage and since we don't even try to fight we are doomed.
This is something the Linux community has been aware of for quite some time now, as Microsoft was making quiet threats / FUD about this for years. There are quite a few systems in place to mitigate or manage such aggression. One in particular is a defensive patent structure. If Microsoft (or really anyone) starts suing, not only will that be a PR nightmare, but it's easily possible for them to lose access to a wide variety of IP that is structurally critical to their organization. http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Defensive_patent_pools

SYSTEM

#199 Post by SYSTEM »

Rebutting some claims in the comment smaragdus quoted.
They know that the NT kernel is dated and has seen its' day.
The first version of Windows NT was released in 1993. Linux 1.0 was released in 1994.

In addition, Linux is based on the Unix design which dates back to 1970s. Windows NT kernel is more modern of the two.
And if they bought it, 999 times out of a 1,000 the did not pay anything near what it was worth.
Well, for Nokia's mobile device business they paid way too much... :roll:
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

starstuff

#200 Post by starstuff »

this is completely unacceptable for windows 10 PRO users! :evil:

Midas

#202 Post by Midas »

Following Lintalist warning about Fosshub unintended malware distribution, especially targeting Classic Shell users, here's a related piece of news regarding the latest Windows 10 update:

webfork

#203 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Following Lintalist warning about Fosshub unintended malware distribution, especially targeting Classic Shell users, here's a related piece of news regarding the latest Windows 10 update:
I've never known Microsoft to modify my existing setup so this change around classic shell is really unpleasant. That it additionally forces installation AND login of Skype is pretty fantastically awful. I can think of several situations where that could genuinely hurt someone. It's been more than once I've had to step away from online identities for a variety of reasons, so a login sequence like this with no warning could be very harmful.

I kept thinking that Win10 issues could be mitigated with programs that turn off crap like this but I'm beginning to think that was naive. Needless to say, I'll never use anything but a throwaway email address with any Windows installation.

joby_toss

#204 Post by joby_toss »

How about this one: after the anniversary update, all my games were limited to a maximum of 60 fps, making games like CS:GO and Overwatch virtually unplayable because of the input lag. I went over every video graphic option available (I blamed v-sync at first), over every directx option, drivers etc. going bunkers searching a solution on the "www"...
Turns out the problem was the Xbox app! Yes, an app I don't even use, had turned on an option I never asked for, called Game DVR (it allows you to record gameplays at a maximum of... you got it, 60 fps).
Now here comes the even more crazy part: to get access to that option in Xbox app settings, you need to have a... you got it, a M$ account (otherwise you get only a green screen with no access to the app settings).
Turns out others weren't as lucky as me and got this problem last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6DFUgBE4g
Yes, an entire year passed and this issue was never fixed! Do you intended it like this, M$, just to force us getting a shitty account from you? I believe so! And I wonder what hidden ways you put in my system to screw me up in the weeks to come?!

YOU NEED A M$ ACCOUNT TO DISABLE A SELF-ACTIVATED OPTION THAT SCREWS UP YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM, FROM AN APP YOU NEVER USE!!! THAT'S FREAKIN' INSANE!!!

SYSTEM

#205 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:How about this one: after the anniversary update, all my games were limited to a maximum of 60 fps, making games like CS:GO and Overwatch virtually unplayable because of the input lag. I went over every video graphic option available (I blamed v-sync at first), over every directx option, drivers etc. going bunkers searching a solution on the "www"...
Turns out the problem was the Xbox app! Yes, an app I don't even use, had turned on an option I never asked for, called Game DVR (it allows you to record gameplays at a maximum of... you got it, 60 fps).
Now here comes the even more crazy part: to get access to that option in Xbox app settings, you need to have a... you got it, a M$ account (otherwise you get only a green screen with no access to the app settings).
Turns out others weren't as lucky as me and got this problem last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6DFUgBE4g
Yes, an entire year passed and this issue was never fixed! Do you intended it like this, M$, just to force us getting a shitty account from you? I believe so! And I wonder what hidden ways you put in my system to screw me up in the weeks to come?!

YOU NEED A M$ ACCOUNT TO DISABLE A SELF-ACTIVATED OPTION THAT SCREWS UP YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM, FROM AN APP YOU NEVER USE!!! THAT'S FREAKIN' INSANE!!!
Woah. I agree that it's pure insanity. :o

Why is Game DVR enabled by default if it causes severe input lag? Bringing input lag down to reasonable levels is definitely more important than ability to record gameplay after the fact.

...and especially for users who haven't logged into the Xbox app? AFAIK, those users can't save the videos that Game DVR records anyway, so the feature does nothing than wastes processing power and causes input lag for them.

And, in addition to enabling that useless and harmful feature by default, Microsoft doesn't even allow them to turn off that feature.

Just who thought that any of that is a good idea? :x

(Thanks for the tip, by the way. I disabled Game DVR myself. I have already logged into the Xbox app because I needed to do that when I bought Quantum Break from Windows Store. I haven't gotten the Anniversary Update yet, so I haven't been affected by the input lag problem.)

joby_toss

#206 Post by joby_toss »

I would advise you to wait a little longer if you didn't update yet.
There are also many other issues, albeit small, like:
- resetting some settings (screensaver, logon screen, some video settings in nVidia control panel, monitor refresh rate, language input etc.)
- network icon not highlighted anymore in Action Centre when connected (you have to click one more time now to open a separate menu with your connections),
- Action Centre tray icon is at the right of the clock and it's not re/movable,
- Windows Defender is always ON and does scheduled auto-scans that you can't stop and what's crazy is that it does these scans even if you disable it while installing a 3'rd party security solution
- start menu has all the shortcuts (recently added, most used, all programs) crumbed together in the left side (they say it was done to avoid one more click)
- Cortana enabled by default in supported regions with no easy way to disable
- in my case svchost.exe service was left eating high amount of CPU time, so I had to hunt down the culprit (you know that "Service Host: Local System" is home for many services and you don't get separate info on them from M$); turns out windows update service hanged during the update process and it's still not working (maybe that's a good thing?); the solution for high CPU usage was to stop wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits, msiserver services, rename/remove SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders and then restart those services.
- I'm sure there are more, but I can't think straight right now and don't remember them... :(

P.S. I didn't get Skype auto-install/auto-login problem, thank God! :)

SYSTEM

#207 Post by SYSTEM »

Responding to your points one by one:
joby_toss wrote:- resetting some settings (screensaver, logon screen, some video settings in nVidia control panel, monitor refresh rate, language input etc.)
It's expected. The Anniversary Update is a large update, and large updates automatically reset some settings.
joby_toss wrote:- network icon not highlighted anymore in Action Centre when connected (you have to click one more time now to open a separate menu with your connections)
Doesn't matter to me. I have a wired connection.
joby_toss wrote:- Action Centre tray icon is at the right of the clock and it's not re/movable
Microsoft did it intentionally. Waiting before I update wouldn't help.
joby_toss wrote:- Windows Defender is always ON and does scheduled auto-scans that you can't stop and what's crazy is that it does these scans even if you disable it while installing a 3'rd party security solution
Doesn't matter to me, as I use Windows Defender.
joby_toss wrote:- start menu has all the shortcuts (recently added, most used, all programs) crumbed together in the left side (they say it was done to avoid one more click)
Sounds like a good idea to me.
joby_toss wrote:- Cortana enabled by default in supported regions with no easy way to disable
Finland isn't a supported region.
joby_toss wrote:- in my case svchost.exe service was left eating high amount of CPU time, so I had to hunt down the culprit (you know that "Service Host: Local System" is home for many services and you don't get separate info on them from M$); turns out windows update service hanged during the update process and it's still not working (maybe that's a good thing?); the solution for high CPU usage was to stop wuauserv, cryptSvc, bits, msiserver services, rename/remove SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders and then restart those services.
Hmm, this sounds bad. However, it's not at all certain that it would happen to me as well.
joby_toss wrote:P.S. I didn't get Skype auto-install/auto-login problem, thank God! :)
You probably haven't logged into Windows with a Microsoft Account. If there isn't an account to use to auto-login to Skype, Windows can't do it.

I haven't logged in with an MS Account either.

SYSTEM

#208 Post by SYSTEM »

SYSTEM wrote:https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... nnovation/
Terry Myerson wrote:
  • Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support. This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.
  • Through July 17, 2017, Skylake devices on the supported list will also be supported with Windows 7 and 8.1. During the 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends. After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.
The most important part of this announcement is that, on computers which have a processor based on Intel's latest Skylake microarchitecture (in particular, the Core i5-6000 and Core i7-6000 series), Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 won't receive all security updates after July 2017. People who have such computers will have to upgrade to Windows 10.
Microsoft reverted that decision for Skylake. In the end, computers running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 on Skylake will receive security updates as long as the operating systems themselves are supported.

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016 ... r-windows/
Shad Larsen wrote: 6th Gen Intel Core devices on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be supported with all applicable security updates until the end of support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

joby_toss

#209 Post by joby_toss »

I feel like blushing... today I got my first one:

Sorry for the quality, it happened this morning, not enough light in my room, too sleepy...
It said something about igdkmd64.sys error (Intel Graphics Driver related by the looks of it...).
But hey, M$ collected the necessary data and is looking into my problem as we speak!

One thing I have to mention: I had the updates disabled (no problems) and only enabled them as a test, when the anniversary update was released (and guess what: problems emerged).

P.S. Does anyone think there's something wrong with my Windows Update?

P.P.S. May I change my plea, your honor?
joby_toss wrote:The thing is, this win 10 works... if you take into account only the OS part, it seems to be a great one, it runs smoothly, apps and games run great, it never crashed or hanged on me...

SYSTEM

#210 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:I feel like blushing... today I got my first one:
FYI, I have also gotten a BSOD in Windows 10 once. It happened over an year ago when I was playing Grand Theft Auto V. The problem was most likely related to Nvidia graphics card drivers.