Windows 9 is... Windows 10

Any other tech-related topics
SYSTEM

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#181 Post by SYSTEM »

Here is one way in which Microsoft has used Windows 10 telemetry data. They have measured energy use of different web browsers with it: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... with-edge/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#182 Post by joby_toss »

It must be all true, coming from an independent source! Not saying it isn't, but it's still funny to me...

joby_toss

#183 Post by joby_toss »

Opera Performs Own Tests, Shows Microsoft Edge Doesn’t Offer Longer Battery Life
http://news.softpedia.com/news/opera-pe ... 5558.shtml

Still funny...

smaragdus

#184 Post by smaragdus »

The response from Opera:
Over the edge?
Believing in anything that comes from the pathological liars from Redmond is not just naivete, it is nonsense.

Userfriendly

#185 Post by Userfriendly »

People glance at charts and jump to conclusions too quickly. There's too many variables in those browser battery life efficiency benchmarks. Different test methods which could favor one browser or the other. It doesn't matter anyway because nobody uses Opera nor Edge.

SYSTEM

#186 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote: Believing in anything that comes from the pathological liars from Redmond is not just naivete, it is nonsense.
I'd like to point out that I didn't link their browser energy usage post because I trust their results. I posted it because it's an example of a way in which Microsoft has used the telemetry data.

I read Opera's blog post and some of the comments. The comments point out that Opera's test isn't fair. They tested a dev version of Opera against the stable version of Edge, turned on Opera's ad blocker (that is disabled by default) and used ad-heavy websites to inflate the effect of the ad blocker.

BTW, I don't care much about energy use anyway since I use a desktop computer.

webfork

#187 Post by webfork »

I'm a little worried about as these tests as speed vs. power usage are always going to be in contrast. If Edge figured out some way to be extremely fast and extremely power efficient, that would be remarkable, but the focus for years has consistently been on speed. *shrug*
SYSTEM wrote:... Opera's test isn't fair. They tested a dev version of Opera against the stable version of Edge, turned on Opera's ad blocker (that is disabled by default) and used ad-heavy websites to inflate the effect of the ad blocker.
That's something that caught me as well. Any advertisements that use any kind of high compression video are invariably going to use more power than any other media types.

I agree that an independent analysis would be better but power efficiency is very important (huge) and I have little doubt that Microsoft's browser on Microsoft's operating system is probably more power efficient. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if Google's browser is more power efficient on Google's devices because it's not as difficult to get the browser, device, and API developers all on the same page about performance v. power.

Even if that's possible, platform unity Chrome, Safari, and Edge are supposed to give rise to doesn't seem like a very good thing. It didn't seem to help IE all these years ahead of the switch to Edge, it's not really helping Apple either, as Safari is well behind other browsers. I know it sounds strange but I'd rather have a disparate and difficult software landscape.
SYSTEM wrote:Here is one way in which Microsoft has used Windows 10 telemetry
I'd be definitely okay with sharing some things with Microsoft about my system if they seemed they were a little more open and up front with that whole process. They dropped the ball on that point pretty hard so if I end up with a Windows 10 system, I'll want to setup network to block all Microsoft connections until absolutely necessary. By contrast, I feel like Mozilla has done a good job here so I usually go in and enable those functions. Having them off by default probably means less user data but more user trust.

smaragdus

#188 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM
I wasn't referring to you, if you trusted M$ I suppose you would still be a shareholder and I bet you know better than all of us what exactly happened to Nokia for example. Here in the local web media almost every week there is a "research" that shows how great are Windows 10, Edge, Cortana, etc (before these "researchers" were lauding IE) and I do believe there are many who believe in such "researches". Of course I cannot trust Opera either, in fact I do not trust any corporation, there was only one which was relatively user-friendly (Sun Microsystems) and it is gone.

Midas

#189 Post by Midas »

@ http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81108#p81108, I am Baas wrote:
Aegis for Windows 7/8.x - Blocks all known Microsoft spying and Windows 10 upgrade elements

Details:

Block 197 bad hosts, change windows update to check/notify (do not download/install), disable automatic delivery of internet explorer via windows update, disable ceip/gwx/skydrive(aka onedrive)/spynet/telemetry/wifisense, disable remote registry, disable 31 scheduled tasks, disable windows 10 download directory, remove diagtrack, sync time to ntp.org, hide/uninstall 51 kb updates (see below).
https://github.com/th3power/aegis-voat
https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510
  • :( Bad news, both links above are now displaying the following note:
    • [url]https://github.com/th3power/aegis-voat[/url] author wrote:This utility is no longer being maintained. I have lost interest in Voat due to the rampant censorship and the refusal of the community or the admins to take the problem seriously. Without freedom Voat is just another failed Reddit clone and I won't waste any more of my time or money supporting it. Aegis was created and maintained for the benefit of Voat and so I no longer have any reason to work on it.
    There was already work done for upcoming Aegis v1.19, but looks like it's all gone now.

Sofpedia link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst ... egis.shtml.

SYSTEM

#190 Post by SYSTEM »

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... -august-2/

The Windows 10 upgrade offer will end on July 29. Windows 10 will get the Anniversary Update on August 2.

Below are some changes in the Anniversary Update which I find most notable:
  • Microsoft Edge update
    • Extensions
    • Pinned tabs
    • Paste and go
    • Support for Web Notifications
    • Support for miscellaneous new web APIs
  • VP9 video and Opus audio support (AFAIK, available for all programs, including Microsoft Edge, Windows Media Player, and third-party multimedia programs)
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (ability for developers to run command-line GNU/Linux programs on Windows)
  • Ability to bind the Windows 10 license to the Microsoft Account (after which it's possible to make major hardware changes without losing the activation - useful on desktop systems)
  • Xbox Play Anywhere (ability for gamers to play the same game on both PC and Xbox One, with progress synchronization and everything)

shnbwmn

#191 Post by shnbwmn »

Good to see that Edge is getting improvements, particularly the "paste-and-go" context menu option.

smaragdus

#193 Post by smaragdus »

Windows 10 Will No Longer Let You Disable Cortana Starting August 2
“Users will love Cortana”
Do you really love the Microsoft witch, the Big Sister, the 3-letter agencies' whore?

joby_toss

#194 Post by joby_toss »

There will always be solutions for this kind of problems... I guess we(me & Cortana)'ll just have to keep an eye on each other. ;)

Userfriendly

#195 Post by Userfriendly »

Well you can still disable Cortana via registry tweak or Group Policy in Pro.

But some bad news for Pro users, Microsoft removed some policies from Windows 10 Pro and are now only available in Enterprise/Education/Server SKU's.
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/micros ... ws-10-pro/

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Cloud Content
-Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences
-Do not show Windows Tips

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization
-Do not display the lock screen

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components> Store
-Disable all apps from Windows Store