Freeware PDF unlocker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Numanoid

Freeware PDF unlocker

#1 Post by Numanoid »

I found this programme to be of great help to liberate PDF documents

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Freeware-P ... 27137.html

I am running it from my USB key, so I think it very well might be a portable application.

JohnW

#2 Post by JohnW »

I'm not sure how useful this is!
I stand to be corrected but I think you have to know the password.

Numanoid

#3 Post by Numanoid »

According to the read me file that came with this programme:

There are two types of passwords that can be used in a PDF file
1. A password that restricts some functions, such as printing. This is the most common type. {Owner}
2. A password to open the file for reading. {User}"

This programme can remove passwords of type 1, but to remove type 2 requires that you know the password to open it.

I had a couple of manuscripts (200+ pages) that I wanted to add bookmarks in, this programme unlocked them in a couple of seconds. So I can certify that it works well removing type 1 passwords at least :)

donald

IF

#4 Post by donald »

if this will let you print after removing passwords of type 1

then couldnt you print it to pdf

and then read it ????

maybe this isnt a portable option but a large number of freeware pdf printers are out there

for now some solutions are not portable

but hopefully this would defeat type 2 passwords

I bet their is a better solution already in the database though

Aeolis

Re: Freeware PDF unlocker

#5 Post by Aeolis »

Hello folks,

How did you make it work from the pendrive? I tried a lot, but I am not good with windows cmd commands. Can someone help here?

See you later,

Aeolis

Aeolis

Freeware PDF Unlocker - Creating a Launcher

#6 Post by Aeolis »

Hello folks,

I am trying to make Freeware PDF Unlocker running from a USB sticky. Until now I was able to extract all the necessary files to a folder named Freeware PDF UnlockerPortable. I have figured out that the file that unlock pdf's is the unlockpdf.cmd and it's a Windows command line file with the following commands:

@echo off
echo.
echo.
echo This may take a minute, please wait.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
set ttt=%1
set tt=%ttt:~0,-5%
gswin32c -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sFONTPATH=%windir%/fonts;xfonts;. -sPDFPassword= -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dPassThroughJPEGImages=true -sOutputFile=%tt%_noPW.pdf" %1

I would like to know if there is a way to make the cmd file open and unlock a pdf when I drop the file over it? I am not good with Windows command line arguments. Could somebody help me here?

See you later,

Aeolis

webfork

Re: Freeware PDF unlocker

#7 Post by webfork »

Very old thread update:

The original link is offline so I went digging. He might have been referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portablepdfunlocker/ … it's open source and appears to have been updated back in 2014 (and a x64 version added 6 months later). Hopefully it's that and not the other same-named commercial program.

EDIT: PDF Unlocker program - ExcelPass: https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2802