PDF Multitool (specialized conversion utility)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

PDF Multitool (specialized conversion utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

ByteScout PDF Multitool is a specialized conversion utility that can perform various content extraction tasks from PDFs, the highlight going to OCR capabilities, thanks to OSS Tessaract recognition engine.

Only an installer package is available for download (see below), but it can easily be (Uni)extracted: all files will be found in the '{app}' folder at extract location. Regrettably, PDF Multitool isn't fully portable, as it saves some paths and window settings to the system registry at 'HKCU\Software\Bytescout\Bytescout PDF Multitool'.
http://bytescout.com/products/pdfmultitool/ wrote:PDF Multitool is a free utility with multiple functions to help to extract data from PDF, convert PDF to CSV, PDF To XML, PDF To XLS or XLSX, PDF to TIFF images, extract file attachments and much much more.

ByteScout PDF Multitool latest release installer (currently v6.20.2354) can be downloaded from http://bytescout.com/products/pdfmultitool/.
Last edited by Midas on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: PDF Multitool (specialized conversion utility)

#2 Post by webfork »

Thanks for testing. Looks like a cool program.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Thanks for testing. Looks like a cool program.
I ran a few tests:

Pros:
  • * Image Extraction was remarkably good, pulling out absolutely every possible one from a rather complex PDF.

* It can rotate by degree number. So if you'd want to rotate something from upside-down to right-side-up that would be 180 and rotating counter-clockwise would be 270. Meanwhile, if it was a slightly off-center doc, you might try 5 or 355.

* The program's TIFF (multi-page image format) and EMF (vector graphics) conversion worked well
Negatives:
  • * It flinched at a very big, very complex PDF document but I doubt anyone else will be trying to use this program on a file that heavy.

* The zoom-in function always jumps back to the top-left document every time you click the button
Overall, this is an excellent tool and one I don't think I'll be without going forward.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed the "degrees" bit, which made no sense)

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

Midas wrote:ByteScout PDF Multitool is a specialized conversion utility that can perform various content extraction tasks from PDFs,
the highlight going to OCR capabilities, thanks to OSS Tessaract recognition engine.
Excellent find, thanks Midas !

BTW,
for quickly converting the odd PDF document containing non-searchable image text into a PDF searchable version,
one might give a try to this free online service:

http://www.sandwichpdf.com/

Unlike most other well-known alternative OCR conversion methods, such as Google Docs, which only extracts the text components from the source PDF,
sandwichpdf does retain the original formatting and attachments from the original document.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

__philippe wrote:
Midas wrote:ByteScout PDF Multitool is a specialized conversion utility that can perform various content extraction tasks from PDFs,
the highlight going to OCR capabilities, thanks to OSS Tessaract recognition engine.
Excellent find, thanks Midas !
+ 1

Thanks, very useful.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Update here: the bytescoute multitool PDF to HTML conversion is excellent. I feel foolish for not having run a test on it in my last post. It's approaching the quality of the amazing command-line pdf2htmlEX, with a very respectable file size (only about 2x the size of the original PDF).

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Update: this appears to have gone registerware.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Update: this appears to have gone registerware.
Scratch that -- I got it from Softpedia with no problem:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... tool.shtml

xor

#9 Post by xor »

I may sound repetitive but IMAGE EXTRACTION from PDFs is REMARKABLY GOOD, Small files, good quality, I'm currently building a website catalog and this is my GoTo tool, couldn't be any happier.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

xor wrote:I may sound repetitive but IMAGE EXTRACTION from PDFs is REMARKABLY GOOD, Small files, good quality, I'm currently building a website catalog and this is my GoTo tool, couldn't be any happier.
I welcome the attention to this project as PDFs seem to only become more and more ubiquitous as time goes on. We definitely need good freeware options for folks that don't use it day in and day out.

xor

#11 Post by xor »

ByteScout PDF MultiTool is on GIVEAWAYOFTHEDAY today, I already got my free business license. :)

Nh

#12 Post by Nh »

Strange but I cannot uniextract this Setup.exe (got by Giveaway of the day). Can somebody put already extracted files here?

__philippe

Extracting images from PDF documents

#13 Post by __philippe »

xor wrote:I may sound repetitive but IMAGE EXTRACTION from PDFs is REMARKABLY GOOD, Small files, good quality...
@xor Thanks for the reminder.

BTW,
For quickly extracting image(s) from the odd PDF document, one might also try this free online gem :

Easy as 1-2-3:
  • 1. Paste PDF document's URL in address box (or choose PDF from local disk)
    2. Click START and wait for tool to display thumbnails of extracted images
    3. Click on selected image(s) to download.
Et voilà ! ...(no installation required)... ;-)

Recommended.

thepiney

#14 Post by thepiney »

Nh wrote:Strange but I cannot uniextract this Setup.exe (got by Giveaway of the day). Can somebody put already extracted files here?
"Giveawayoftheday" wraps the offered setup files in their own setup file. In the past when you ran the installation, you could go to the temp folder while the setup program was open prior to completing the installation and find the last created temp file and rename that but haven't done that in some time so YMMV.

dot

#15 Post by dot »

Requires .NET Framework 2.0 :(