I am Baas

Re: Windows 9 is... Windows 10

#166 Post by I am Baas »

Oy vey, we have a spammer on board.

webfork

#167 Post by webfork »

misan wrote:
I am Baas wrote:we have a spammer on board.
Get a life! Seriously.
And actually read the post!
Baas' suggestion is that by mentioning the same program to more than one thread (we have a Never10 thread) that you're "spamming" the forums. It's fine but just keep in mind that if someone responds to that post it could pull the whole thread in another direction, known as a thread hijack. At least in terms of my work as Moderator, this usually means I have to split and re-merge it with the other one, which is tedious.

Midas

#168 Post by Midas »

Have you ever wanted to have windows in your (smart)watch? Apparently, you can -- if you live through the glacial booting sequence, that is... ;)

joby_toss

#169 Post by joby_toss »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/ ... ading.html
Similar thing happened to a co-worker yesterday...

P.S. on a side note... it's so funny watching my win 10 home edition complaining about not being able to update whenever it wants to... :)

smaragdus

#170 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
It is none of my business but I am really surprised to see people like you and System for example migrating to evil 10.

smaragdus

#171 Post by smaragdus »

The evolution of Windows in pictures:

joby_toss

#172 Post by joby_toss »

Well... it's not a full switch just yet, but there are a few things I did to make it more comfortable for me; some I can't even remember, but I disabled everything I could think of, I'm not using a microsoft account (I also have access to dynamic IP, so associating my name to this win 10 copy is not that easy), no store, no metro apps, no location, no cortana, no onedrive, no font streaming, not using edge, no live mail, not allowing updates, no preinstalled apps, no sharing of anything whatsoever (mic, camera, typing, speech etc.), no advertising id, no calendar, no contacts, no feedback, no flash player, no java etc. ...

The thing is, this win 10 works... if you take into account only the OS part, it seems to be a great one, it runs smoothly, apps and games run great, it never crashed or hanged on me... I dare to say it works better than win 7 or XP... too bad about the spying part...

And if you ask why... well, I was just curious. :)

Midas

#173 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:And if you ask why... well, I was just curious. :)
  • 8)

webfork

#174 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote: I disabled everything I could think of
What did you use?
joby_toss wrote: The thing is, this win 10 works
The overall quality of the operating system really isn't in question. After all, they can pay their devs and testers on an ongoing basis with all the user data they're selling. It doesn't really matter for this forum but – for computer users in general – the main question for most users is whether or not it's better than Android since both trade privacy for features and the numbers I've seen on total Android devices worldwide is amazing:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2645115
http://bgr.com/2014/01/07/android-device-sales-2014/

I guess the selling point is that you can turn off those features whereas with Android, it's a pain (install Cyanogenmod, maybe it works and maybe it doesn't).

webfork

#175 Post by webfork »

According to ComputerWorld, Microsoft has been employing a somewhat nefarious tactic to force Win10 upgrades.
An oft-revised support document that Computerworld cited in a May 16 story about Microsoft's aggressive upgrade practices spelled out the workings of a pop-up notification that Windows 7 and 8.1 users had been seeing. The notification told those customers -- primarily consumers, but also many small-to-mid-sized businesses -- that the free Windows 10 upgrade had been pre-scheduled by Microsoft.

The same document also acknowledged that those who clicked the red "X" in the upper-right corner of the pop-up were approving the scheduled upgrade.

"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated.
When another program used this tactic here in forums (I can't seem to find it), it was not met warmly. If you didn't see the popup window that happens after pressing X, you're getting upgraded. Regardless, it explains why some I know described Win10 as a "forced" upgrade.

joby_toss

#176 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:What did you use?
I didn't use a specific app, I manually applied tips found "anywhere" on the web, even following links from this very topic (like this one). MS allows you to make few choices during OS installation, so one must be careful during that process also. And some settings are available from Win 10 GUI itself.
However! Even with all these tweaks, I still can't fully trust this OS (and I advise everyone to do the same), so "Thank you, MS!" for that.

If I was to recommend an app for win 10 data flow tweaking, it would be DoNotSpy10 or W10Privacy. But use them only if you understand what all the options do! And yes, DoNotSpy10 contains OC if you download the ad-supported version (but no VT hits and easily avoidable using UE). And yes, there are a few (unimportant) hits on VT analysis for W10Privacy.

shnbwmn

#177 Post by shnbwmn »

joby_toss wrote:If I was to recommend an app for win 10 data flow tweaking, it would be DoNotSpy10 or W10Privacy.
How would you rate ShutUp10?

joby_toss

#178 Post by joby_toss »

It seems more user friendly, but it comes from a corporate environment (not saying it's a bad app), so I left it out.

Midas

#180 Post by Midas »

• Incidents are increasing in their frequency. One such incident was a man who works fighting poachers in the African bush had the 6GB Windows 10 update forcibly downloaded to one of their computers. This is on a per MB metered connection. It could have happened during an operation, during which the lives of people in combat with militarized poachers could have been out of communication.
    • :shock: