System Explorer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Re: SystemExplorer

#16 Post by I am Baas »

I can confirm JohnTHaller findings.

Either Universal Extractor (mod) or Inno Extractor can do the job.

The auto check for updates is enabled by default but can be disabled under settings.

I am Baas

#17 Post by I am Baas »

billon wrote:I think PA version is simple for users.
If uniexract, you need to create config.ini file. Just blank file? Or with some content? Is it still will be stealth? That's need more testings
An empty config.ini does it.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

FYI, the previous version portable zip ('SystemExplorerPortable_700.zip') is mirrored at http://www.filecluster.com/downloads/Sy ... table.html, for example...

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have updated the entry to reflect the new extraction instruction. I have also changed the license to "Nagware" as I could not find a way to turn off the "Please donate" message at startup.

For V7.1.0 at least, System Explorer seems portable by default. It creates config.ini automagically on first run. It remains stealth AFAICT.

Personally I am happy with the entry as it stands. It puts the native app first with extraction instructions, but refer the viewer to alternatives where they exist. I think it ticks all the checkboxes from a usefulness POV.

webfork

Re: System Explorer

#20 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:I have also changed the license to "Nagware" as I could not find a way to turn off the "Please donate" message at startup.
Some confusion here: I'm not seeing a donate box at startup. Also are you seeing a nag on the PA version?

Special

#21 Post by Special »

What a shady/shitty installer with the latest version... "or click back if you want to change settings" what "back"? it also errors if you block it's internet connection with a firewall from phoning home.

^^ it's the big green box that it always there upon startup, literally the definition of nag.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Special wrote:it's the big green box that it always there upon startup, literally the definition of nag
Ah yes. I see what you mean. When people say nagware I always expect a popup for some reason.

To answer my own question: this is present in the PortableApps version.

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about the policy for linking to alternative wrappers when there's no specific benefit to using non-native programs were given their own thread.]