Linux and Bash for Windows

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Linux and Bash for Windows

#1 Post by Midas »

This is big -- who would have thought we would see it? :shock:
This was a really old wish (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=20801) I even had the nerve to predict (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 601#p62601). Well, that day is here -- as someone noticed, Windows just got cancer... :twisted:

Related forum topics:

webfork

Re: Linux and Bash for Windows

#2 Post by webfork »

I guess the most relevant question here is whether or not we could eventually start listing Linux applications here on the site and just list a dependency as "Ubuntu for Windows" like we do with Java, Visual C++ Redist, or dotNET. That could be cool.

As someone who runs Windows inside a virtualization layer, this is less exciting than for others but certainly for Windows native users, there's a power and efficiency improvement there which is probably good. As for how this helps Microsoft, I'm not really clear; it makes sense that desktop Linux users would be more likely to run Windows 10 now since they'll have increased flexibility but how many people is that? It seems just as likely to pull development energy away from Windows APIs and push them to Linux. *shrug*

shnbwmn

#3 Post by shnbwmn »

Wow, very interesting development. I hope it's not an April Fools' joke. Currently I'm in a dual-boot with Win10/Ubuntu Studio so that I can run my GNU/Linux-only graphics apps. If this comes to fruition it will certainly make life a little easier.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I've asked around a bit and still have no clue what's going on with this move but one possibility is that it has more to do with the Microsoft SONiC virtual networking effort, which I'll be honest I don't really understand. Why Microsoft is participating in software-defined networking but not selling it is just confusing.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Maybe this (longish) Ars Technica article will help you figure it out:
And for practical details, look this way:

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

When this happens, I would somehow love to portablize bash. I'm guessing data will be stored in system directories like %appdata% by default, which is something I would want to change.
is it stealth? ;)