Problem with Foxit Reader V2.1

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Chris

#16 Post by Chris »

the path to the app's executable needs to be in double quotes, as "Foxit Reader.exe" has a space in it.
Ahh... yes, now it works without any problem, silly me for forgetting that part for command-line thingy.

I also experiencing hidden window with JPEized osk. Some times after I minimized the osk, I couldn't restore the window.. it shows the osk window but then it dissapears, like MS Reader but OD showing the task is there. This might have something to do with using OD as I try to restore osk via OD-tasklist. Will do some test and hopefully could get some useful info to report.

crownixx

#17 Post by crownixx »

good testing chezduong
Could you post your full jpe runtime ini? I think andrew would like to make jpe launcher for this no 1 hits app in TPFC and your jpe runtime might help..

EDIT: BTW, do you guys getting a folder "Foxit Software" and a file "FoxitReader.ini" placed in your root drive?

EDIT: Nevermind, those file and folder added when i'm playing with U3 Foxit Reader.exe..Interesting, the U3 version doesnt add any registry. Now how do i want to redirect those two folder and ini since they store in the root drive, and root drive is not jauntepe special folder? if anyone want to play, download the U3 version, rename *.u3p to zip and extract the Foxit_Reader.exe

chezduong

#18 Post by chezduong »

@crownixx, your wish is my command. Please note that for my own convenience, I renamed "Foxit Reader.exe" to "FoxitReader.exe".

Code: Select all

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=.\JPE_Data\Registry\%appname%.reg

[Filesystem]
Use=0
Data=.\JPE_Data\Files\

[Redirection]
RedirMisc=1
MemRegistry=0
UseIcon=1
ModFrame=1
FlashDisco=1
IconDisco=1
InnerColor=255,0,0
OuterColor=255,0,0

[RegistryExclude]
1=*

[RegistryInclude]
1=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software
3=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software

[RegistryIgnore]
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software
3=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*

[FilesystemInclude]

[FilesystemIgnore]

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=%appname%.exe

[SpecialFolders]
0=.\Desktop
1=.\ etc....

crownixx

#19 Post by crownixx »

what about this registry key.It seems that JauntePE constantly hook the key..

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}\ProgID
if i google the "{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}", this key is related to foxit reader..
and because i dont know much about those number, mybe it differ from pc to pc so i suggest add this line

[RegistryInclude]
2=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
3=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FoxitReader.Document
4=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software

[RegistryIgnore]

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee »

Andrew, exactly what method are you using to create the portable launcher? If you're using the command line, as Chris did, the path to the app's executable needs to be in double quotes, as "Foxit Reader.exe" has a space in it. This is kind of command line usage 101 and is not specific to JPE so I forgot to mention that in the readme.
OK, after nearly tearing my hair out, I finally figured out what was causing the problem, and how to workaround it.

I have two drive letters, C: and V:. V: is actually a subst of C:\personal.

Now, JPE is located in V:\apps\jauntepe\jauntepe.exe.

Foxit Reader is located in C:\test\foxit\Foxit Reader.exe.

If I launch JPE using PStart (path is ..\jauntepe\jauntepe.exe), then I drag-and-drop Foxit Reader.exe to JPE, then I right-click to build portable EXE, the first path I see is:

?:\test\foxit\Foxit Reader.exe

and I get the "Invalid EXE" message.

It makes no difference if I set the "Home directory" field for JPE under PStart.

However, if I launch JPE directly via Windows Explorer or equivalent, I don't get this error anymore.

If I drag any EXE from V: to JPE launched via PStart, everything is OK too. I get the correct drive letter instead of the '?' character in front.

Crazy huh? :?:

redllar

#21 Post by redllar »

chezduong wrote:Note that launch always fails when changing from text-based .reg file to binary-based .reg file and the opposite. I did not change/delete .reg files between MemRegistry settings.
Sorry, I do have code in place to handle those situations but I guess it's not working quite right yet.

EDIT: Stupid me trying to add a new post edited this one instead.
Last edited by redllar on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redllar

#22 Post by redllar »

crownixx wrote:EDIT: Nevermind, those file and folder added when i'm playing with U3 Foxit Reader.exe..Interesting, the U3 version doesnt add any registry. Now how do i want to redirect those two folder and ini since they store in the root drive, and root drive is not jauntepe special folder? if anyone want to play, download the U3 version, rename *.u3p to zip and extract the Foxit_Reader.exe
Man, you guys are killing me with all of this "fancy" stuff you're doing with JPE. :)

To answer your question, you can enter non-special folder paths into the file system exclude/include/ignore lists. But I forgot to add a way for you to tell JPE where you want them redirected to. Hopefully I'll get it in soon. But I don't think even that will help solve your U3 version problem since the drive path changes depending upon the drive letter, does it not? Or does it always put those files in C:\?

redllar

#23 Post by redllar »

crownixx wrote:what about this registry key.It seems that JauntePE constantly hook the key..

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}\ProgID
if i google the "{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}", this key is related to foxit reader..
and because i dont know much about those number, mybe it differ from pc to pc so i suggest add this line

[RegistryInclude]

[RegistryIgnore]
Yeah, I have that class id in my FoxitReader portable .reg.

But adding in the entirety of the CLSID key is a bad idea. You'll slow things down and it's also possible for you to get a lot of system related class junk into your portable .reg that way.

Also, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FoxitReader.Document are one and the same. HKCR is a "link" to HKLM\Software\Classes. Including both shouldn't hurt other than to make things a tad slower.

Finally, just to muddy the waters, here are the high-level keys I have in my FoxitReader portable .reg for the latest version. I'm still running with full file system redirection in place, so it looks like I'm redirecting a bit more than you guys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Foxit Software]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{14E8BBD8-1D1C-4D56-A4DA-D20B75EB814E}]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf]

redllar

#24 Post by redllar »

Andrew Lee wrote:OK, after nearly tearing my hair out, I finally figured out what was causing the problem, and how to workaround it.

I have two drive letters, C: and V:. V: is actually a subst of C:\personal.

Now, JPE is located in V:\apps\jauntepe\jauntepe.exe.

Foxit Reader is located in C:\test\foxit\Foxit Reader.exe.

If I launch JPE using PStart (path is ..\jauntepe\jauntepe.exe), then I drag-and-drop Foxit Reader.exe to JPE, then I right-click to build portable EXE, the first path I see is:

?:\test\foxit\Foxit Reader.exe

and I get the "Invalid EXE" message.

It makes no difference if I set the "Home directory" field for JPE under PStart.

However, if I launch JPE directly via Windows Explorer or equivalent, I don't get this error anymore.

If I drag any EXE from V: to JPE launched via PStart, everything is OK too. I get the correct drive letter instead of the '?' character in front.

Crazy huh? :?:
Now it makes sense. That '?' character is there for any app that's on any drive other than the drive that JPE is on. There's a bug in the public JPE exe that causes that to occur for fixed drives. It should really only occur for removable drives. Since it's there for your fixed drive it doesn't get resolved at runtime to the fixed drive letter it should be, hence the "invalid exe" message. What I need to also do is add in a "exe not found" test before the "invalid exe" test.

A very simple work around is to just replace the '?' with the correct drive letter and then Okay out of the dialog box.

But, doesn't your JPE launchpad Foxit Reader icon look funny to you though? I mean, it's not the standard Foxit Reader icon is it? I'm assuming it's just the default Windows app icon. Which I thought was a good indicator that something was wrong.

Anyway, I'll add this to the "known issues" list in the readme. Hopefully I'll get the new exes out soon. Do you think I should go ahead and release them even though they have known bugs in them and haven't yet been fully tested? If you guys are willing to live with the new flaws, a lot of the "old" bugs have been fixed.

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

But, doesn't your JPE launchpad Foxit Reader icon look funny to you though? I mean, it's not the standard Foxit Reader icon is it? I'm assuming it's just the default Windows app icon. Which I thought was a good indicator that something was wrong.
When I first drag-and-drop "Foxit Reader.exe" to the launchpad, the icon is OK. It's only when I quit and restart JPE that I see the stock icon.
Anyway, I'll add this to the "known issues" list in the readme. Hopefully I'll get the new exes out soon. Do you think I should go ahead and release them even though they have known bugs in them and haven't yet been fully tested? If you guys are willing to live with the new flaws, a lot of the "old" bugs have been fixed.
Personally, I am in favor of the "release early, release often" approach.

sgp

#26 Post by sgp »

redllar wrote:[If you guys are willing to live with the new flaws, a lot of the "old" bugs have been fixed.
Me too, I prefer an earlier release.

crownixx

#27 Post by crownixx »

redllar wrote: But I don't think even that will help solve your U3 version problem since the drive path changes depending upon the drive letter, does it not? Or does it always put those files in C:\?
Yes, it will add to the root drive where it sit. But when think again, this kind of software doesnt need JauntePE..just put in thumbdrive, i can bring the settings..thanks coz have a time look into this.
To answer your question, you can enter non-special folder paths into the file system exclude/include/ignore lists. But I forgot to add a way for you to tell JPE where you want them redirected to
looking forward to see this. FlashGet, by default put its download folder in "C:\Downloads"..
If you guys are willing to live with the new flaws, a lot of the "old" bugs have been fixed.
and we have a group here willing to help you hunting those bugs :)

redllar

#28 Post by redllar »

When I first drag-and-drop "Foxit Reader.exe" to the launchpad, the icon is OK. It's only when I quit and restart JPE that I see the stock icon.
Oh crap. Sorry about that. The new launchpad doesn't do that. It'll always show the correct icon but everytime to try and do something with it, it'll check to see if the executable is there first and let you know if it's not.
To answer your question, you can enter non-special folder paths into the file system exclude/include/ignore lists. But I forgot to add a way for you to tell JPE where you want them redirected to
looking forward to see this. FlashGet, by default put its download folder in "C:\Downloads"..
I didn't get to it with this next dll. But it'll be in the one after that. :)
If you guys are willing to live with the new flaws, a lot of the "old" bugs have been fixed.
and we have a group here willing to help you hunting those bugs
Yeah, I know. I just hate to release anything with known bugs in it. And the new launchpad has a few that require manual rework to fix the problems they create.

redllar

#29 Post by redllar »

redllar wrote:
chezduong wrote:Note that launch always fails when changing from text-based .reg file to binary-based .reg file and the opposite. I did not change/delete .reg files between MemRegistry settings.
Sorry, I do have code in place to handle those situations but I guess it's not working quite right yet.
@chezduong: Sorry for dredging up this thread again but I finally got around to retesting this here and I cannot duplicate the problem you had. I tried ping-ponging between text-based and binary-based in-memory app-end writes (setting values of 2 and 3 respectively) without any problems. I even went from 1 to 3 to 2 to 5 to 4 without any problems.

So, it would help if you could rerun using the jpe log dll so I have something to look at.