Openscad - solid 3D CAD modeller

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
shnbwmn

Openscad - solid 3D CAD modeller

#1 Post by shnbwmn »

Homepage: http://www.openscad.org/index.html
openscad.png
OpenSCAD is a software for creating solid 3D CAD models. It is free software and available for Linux/UNIX, Windows and Mac OS X. Unlike most free software for creating 3D models (such as Blender) it does not focus on the artistic aspects of 3D modelling but instead on the CAD aspects. Thus it might be the application you are looking for when you are planning to create 3D models of machine parts but pretty sure is not what you are looking for when you are more interested in creating computer-animated movies.

OpenSCAD is not an interactive modeller. Instead it is something like a 3D-compiler that reads in a script file that describes the object and renders the 3D model from this script file. This gives you (the designer) full control over the modelling process and enables you to easily change any step in the modelling process or make designs that are defined by configurable parameters.

OpenSCAD provides two main modelling techniques: First there is constructive solid geometry (aka CSG) and second there is extrusion of 2D outlines. As data exchange format format for this 2D outlines Autocad DXF files are used. In addition to 2D paths for extrusion it is also possible to read design parameters from DXF files. Besides DXF files OpenSCAD can read and create 3D models in the STL and OFF file formats.
People who do 3d printing may find this software useful. As far as portability goes, it writes its settings to the registry and creates a folder in Documents. Should be a simple thing to create a yaP config for it though.

Edit: yap config
openscad.zip
(67.68 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Last edited by shnbwmn on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am Baas

Re: Openscad - solid 3d cad modeller

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Why did you post it here?

@mod

Please move to the "Freeware That Are Not Portable" sub-forum.

tactictoe

#3 Post by tactictoe »

I am always welcoming new CAD software. Especially when it to come to tech and part design.

Documentation is well done, explaining all aspect of the software. And you will need it as it is script driven.

We did try it at the office this software for a little bit but the scripting language of this one is very heavy. Even not particularly difficult to learn. it still for us one more script language too much to learn.

However if you want to give a fair go to this software, I can tell you it is quite precise and result can be more than surprising in a good way. Would be an ideal tool for 3d printing at home or in a studio if budget is a concern. Anyway, if you don't have one of the top 2d/3d cad and need one for technical reason and are willing to learn the script language of this one, I can easily recommend this one. Wish it had more drawing tool thought, the lack of it might put lots of people off.

As in term of portability, it is not. But for such software, do you really need portability? It is not like you are going to conclude a whole mechanical project in one day. Otherwise for other reason, backup and disaster plan mainly, I can see it useful as a portable software.IMHO.

Edited: I will not vote for a software that need Yap to be portable. That is non sense to me. If you need to adapt it a little bit, INI or the like without third party software, it's okay but using a third party and declare it portable? No, thanks. I know this comment might attract thunder over my roof just remember: this is just me, and my personal opinion of what is portable or not. NOTHING to do with the TPFC idea about portability of a software.
Here is the why I refuse to declare for myself a software portable with Yap: UPDATE might break the config needed for yap. It turns into a nightmare if you manage lots of software with this adaptation tool, even I do like yap. In the case of the software posted here, I can see it evolving all the way to a top gun product, more settings going to the registry and potential driver for special tech printing coming in (thinking 3d printer here).

Conclusion: consider this software as script language dedicated to 2d and 3d cad, similar idea with LOGO and it's turtle (way less complicate, here).

Have a nice day.

shnbwmn

#4 Post by shnbwmn »

I am Baas wrote:Why did you post it here?

@mod

Please move to the "Freeware That Are Not Portable" sub-forum.
Sorry. I figured that if the program runs on any computer out of the box (as openscad does) it's portable, and a slight disadvantage if it writes to the registry. In any case, why is there a "Windows registry" option under "Writes settings to:" when submitting apps if that's apparently not part of the portable definition (or consensus, whatever)?

But I guess it's probably more suitable for openscad to be in the "List of programs made portable by yaP" thread, since I included the config here.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

shnbwmn wrote:why is there a "Windows registry" option under "Writes settings to:" when submitting apps if that's apparently not part of the portable definition (or consensus, whatever)?
Some programs write to the registry but either write few enough settings that it's not a big deal or are registry-centric by nature (e.g. registry editors). It's about transparency, especially since some users think that any registry activity is unacceptable in portable software.
tactictoe wrote:As in term of portability, it is not. But for such software, do you really need portability?
There are a class of machines and operations which benefit from really powerful computers, among them photo, video, 3D design, and (as I understand it) CAD work. I don't know if Openscad really embraces multi-processor, multithreaded, or high end machines but if it does, a portable version would let you seek out faster, more robust computers.
I am Baas wrote:Please move
Done.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

@shnbwmn

Do you mind posting your yaP config file (openscad.ini) here?

shnbwmn

#7 Post by shnbwmn »

Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.6 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
application name: Openscad
version: 2015.03-2

[GENERAL]
application = App\openscad.exe

[BEFORE]
dir = %userprofile%\Documents\OpenSCAD :: Documents\
regkey = HKCU\Software\OpenSCAD\OpenSCAD :: Settings\

[AFTER]
->dir = %userprofile%\Documents\OpenSCAD :: Documents\ :: move, no overwrite
Edit: removed the upvote link out of OP.

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

Thanks! The yaP config file is here (slightly modified):
http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/#examples/OpenSCAD.ini

shnbwmn

#9 Post by shnbwmn »

OpenJSCad - web-based, Javascript version of OpenSCAD. No download needed, and a bit more modern than OpenSCAD itself.