Download counter

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
tactictoe

Download counter

#1 Post by tactictoe »

Something I do from time to time is to check for popularity of my software.
I do therefor visit website where it is published and count the download amount recorded on each site.
Input goes inside a spreadsheet for statistic purpose which determine a decline of popularity, an increase popularity or a stall. A little bit like shares statistic.
It also helps me to determine which site best advertise my software or which one is used the most for downloading the software.

Of course, there is no way to determine if the software download has been really done or cancelled.

It does not exist on this site. Could it be added? Some sort of counter increasing each time a download occurs?
Something like this pseudo code:

Code: Select all

IF Download link product ID#.... clicked THEN DO
BEGIN
  INCREASE Download value variable of product ID #.... 
  DISPLAY Download value variable on product ID#....
END
or this java incomplete code

Code: Select all

public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
{
    totalProductID += i;
    secondLabel.setText("Download count: " + totalProductIDLabel);
}
Basically an array of product id associated with an integer, a label to display the result. Filters to avoid user to abuse this function and increasing/boosting unfairly the popularity of one product (UNIQUE visitor). As each software page has it's own ID it should not be too hard to implant.

It might eventually help the site for creating a list of popular software by estimation of download.

Thank you.

Have a nice day

Andrew Lee

Re: Download counter

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

The current star rating is an amalgam of the following data:

1. Following the "Website" link
2. Following the "Download" link
3. "This app rocks"
4. "This app sucks

You can find more information in this post. The thread also logged the discussion we had when coming up with the current formula for calculating the score.

The download info that we have for each entry is not a simple counter. Instead each download is logged with the requesting IP address so that we can filter out duplicate requests within a certain time interval.

tactictoe

Re: Download counter

#3 Post by tactictoe »

Now that I read the suggest post I could really create statistic input into a spreadsheet. Good formula.

Thank you for taking time to read this post and answer my request.

Have a nice day.