LameXP - audio conversion

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
deathcubek

Re: LameXP

#91 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.12 RC-4
Changes between v4.11 and v4.12 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-5
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 Final (2015-05-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Added Hungarian translation, contributed by Zityi's Translator Team <zityisoft@gmail.com>
* Added optional support for the libfdk-aac encoder, using the fdkaac front-end by nu774
* Added detection of the 64-Bit version of QAAC encoder, requires 64-Bit Apple Application Support
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Default file extensions can now be overwritten
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Files can now be renamed via the regular expression engine
* Added capability to select multiple files on "Source Files" tab
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2015-08-03), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.76 (2015-08-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.22.4 (2015-08-12), compiled with GCC 5.1.0
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.47 (2015-02-15), based on reference implementation by Apple
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.16 (2015-03-24), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.75.0 (2015-05-25), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.19 (2015-02-27), compiled with GCC 4.9.2
* Fixed potential deadlock in Cue Sheet import dialog when "Browse..." button is clicked
* Fixed function to restore the default Temp folder, if custom Temp folder doesn't exist anymore
* Fixed parsing of command-line parameters, regression in MUtilities library (LameXP v4.12 RC-1)
* QAAC encoder is now using --cvbr instead of --abr when "ABR" mode is selected
* Enable the embedding of cover artwork for Opus encoder (opusenc), using the --picture option
* Some installer improvements have been implemented (especially in "update" mode)
* Full support for Windows 10 RTM (Build #10240)
Last edited by deathcubek on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

deathcubek

#92 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.12 has been released!
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest
Changes between v4.11 and v4.12 [2015-10-23]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-5
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 Final (2015-05-25), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Added support for building LameXP and MUtilities with Visual Studio 2015
* Added Hungarian translation, contributed by Zityi's Translator Team <zityisoft@gmail.com>
* Added optional support for the libfdk-aac encoder, using the fdkaac front-end by nu774
* Added detection of the 64-Bit version of QAAC encoder, requires 64-Bit Apple Application Support
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Default file extensions can now be overwritten
* Added enhanced file renaming option: Files can now be renamed via the regular expression engine
* Added capability to select multiple files on "Source Files" tab
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2015-08-03), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.76 (2015-08-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.22.4 (2015-08-12), compiled with GCC 5.1.0
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.47 (2015-02-15), based on reference implementation by Apple
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.16 (2015-03-24), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.75.0 (2015-05-25), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.19 (2015-02-27), compiled with GCC 4.9.2
* Fixed potential deadlock in Cue Sheet import dialog when "Browse..." button is clicked
* Fixed function to restore the default Temp folder, if custom Temp folder doesn't exist anymore
* Fixed parsing of command-line parameters, regression in MUtilities library (LameXP v4.12 RC-1)
* QAAC encoder is now using --cvbr instead of --abr when "ABR" mode is selected
* Enable the embedding of cover artwork for Opus encoder (opusenc), using the --picture option
* Some installer improvements have been implemented (especially in "update" mode)
* Full support for Windows 10 RTM (Build #10240)
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)

deathcubek

#93 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.13 RC-5
Changes between v4.12 and v4.13 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
* Apply the original file's "creation" and "last modified" date/time to the output file (optional)
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2015-09-10), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.78 (2015-10-02), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Fixed resampling bug with Vorbis encoder, regression in OggEnc v2.87
* Fixed creation of Monkey's Audio (APE) files, when no meta data is being embedded
Last edited by deathcubek on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

deathcubek

#94 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.13 RC-6
Changes between v4.12 and v4.13 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
* Apply the original file's "creation" and "last modified" date/time to the output file (optional)
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.88 (2015-09-10), using libvorbis v1.3.5 and aoTuV b6.03_2015
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.78 (2015-10-02), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Fixed creation of Monkey's Audio (APE) files, when no meta data is being embedded
Last edited by deathcubek on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

deathcubek

#95 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.13 has been released!
Changes between v4.12 and v4.13 [2015-12-12]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 with Update-1

SYSTEM

#96 Post by SYSTEM »

deathcubek wrote:LameXP v4.13 has been released!
Thank you. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#97 Post by lautrepay »

A long shot for sure, because FLAC is the de facto standart for lossless audio, and has a lot more hardware support, but... is there any possibility to include WavPack encoding?
Between, "LameXP" does not make justice to the program anymore. Just for the sake of curiosity: how costly (in terms of user base) and time consuming could be changing the name of a free and open source software?

webfork

#98 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:Between, "LameXP" does not make justice to the program anymore. Just for the sake of curiosity: how costly (in terms of user base) and time consuming could be changing the name of a free and open source software?
Actually because MP3 works on almost everything, I'd suggest the majority of encoding this program does is from some other format to MP3, employing the LAME toolset.

As far as what to name a program, I'm sure we could come up with something here in forums. The critical points are short, easy to remember, and gives a clear picture of what the program does. I'm not fond of acronyms. To be clear, I like the LameXP name, though that might be just all the positive reinforcement that comes from a program that works well.

Anyway, I dislike name changes unless it's really necessary. For example, I'm not sure bonkenc needed to be changed to fre:ac, although I like the latter name more.
Last edited by webfork on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: [added one more sentence at the end, better wording in the first sentence]

Midas

#99 Post by Midas »

I would suggest 'GlameXP' -- it's a single letter addition but enough to de-reference LAME directly and, although "glame" has no meaning in English (at least according to Merriam-Webster), it is a straightforward anagram of "gleam" (i.e., shine brightly)... ;)

Following the same reasoning, 'FlameXP' does have a nice ring to it.

deathcubek

#100 Post by deathcubek »

lautrepay wrote:A long shot for sure, because FLAC is the de facto standart for lossless audio, and has a lot more hardware support, but... is there any possibility to include WavPack encoding?
Wouldn't be too hard to add. But I'm against adding a feature just because "it's possible".

Lossless is lossless, so quality isn't a concern here. Thus, encoding to a niche format like WavPack would only be interesting, if it either compressed better or faster than FLAC.

...but neither is the case:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti ... ison_Table
lautrepay wrote:Between, "LameXP" does not make justice to the program anymore. Just for the sake of curiosity: how costly (in terms of user base) and time consuming could be changing the name of a free and open source software?
I know that the name is "bad", because the program neither is just a GUI for LAME nor is Windows XP still a relevant target platform nowadays.

Also, changing the program name probably wouldn't be too hard to do - except that changing the registered project names on 3rd-party sites (such as GitHub, SF.net, etc) might not be possible.

Nonetheless, I'm probably not going to change the name, because that is the name that people know for 10+ years now. That plus: I'm very bad in coming up with a better name :P

smaragdus

#101 Post by smaragdus »

In terms of compression ratio FLAC is just mediocre. I will provide a screen-shot of my tests:

which shows that OptimFROG (OFR), Tom's lossless Audio Kompressor (TAK), Monkey's Audio (APE), Lossless Audio (LA) and True Audio (TTA) all compress better than FLAC while FLAC is marginally better than WavPack (WV) but WavPack has the advantage of being a hybrid audio compressor offering both lossy and lossless compression. If MP3 is the standard for lossy compression and FLAC is the standard for lossless compression I would say that these standards are pretty mediocre- MP3 is worse in terms of compression ratio compared to Musepack (MPC) and Ogg Vorbis (OGG) for example.
Last edited by smaragdus on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

deathcubek

#102 Post by deathcubek »

As for the lossless formats: Your test just confirms that FLAC and WavPack give roughly the same compression ratio. The small difference is within the range of "observational error".

And even the "best" lossless audio compressor (in terms of compression ratio), which is OptimFROG, is only about ~10% smaller. That's not a huge difference, especially when considering that OptimFROG is really slow as hell - while FLAC and WavPack both are (very) fast.

So, overall, all the "state of the art" lossless compressors achieve more or less the same compression ratio. And those that are somewhat better than the average (like OptimFROG) pay for this with utltra-slow encoding/decoding speed.

As for the lossy formats: Those are more difficult to evaluate, because you can hit any bitrate that you like. So the interesting question here is not "compression ratio" (actually compression ratio doesn't tell anything here!), but the "compression efficiency", i.e. "quality per bit".

So what you have to do is: Define a certain target bitrate and then evaluate the "quality" that each format achieves at that bitrate. But since there exists no "perfect" objective quality metric, this requires listing tests - which of course is a big effort, if you want solid results.

Anyway, listing tests have shown that Opus provides better compression efficiency than AAC or Vorbis as well as that AAC and Vorbis provide better compression efficiency than MP3. Whether you prefer AAC or Vorbis is mostly a matter of personal taste :wink:

Also, the differences between all the lossy formats become smaller the higher the target bitrate is set! If you only set the bitrate high enough, they all become equal! 320 kbps MP3 created with LAME pretty much always sounds "transparent", so the others simply can't be better.

deathcubek

#103 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.14 Alpha-5
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lamexp/ ... e/download
Changes between v4.13 and v4.14 [unreleased]:
* Fixed the location of temporary intermediate files for SoX-based audio effects
* Enabled the "built-in" resampler for QAAC encoder
* The "Algorithm Quality" slider now also effects the QAAC encoder
* Added "AVX" (Advanced Vector Extensions) to CPU feature detection code
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.1.2 and Opus-Tools to v0.1.9 (2016-01-12)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.82 (2016-01-27), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated QAAC add-in to the to QAAC v2.58 (2016-01-05)
* Updated FhgAacEnc add-in to "Case" edition (2015-10-24)
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.58 (2016-01-05)

tactictoe

#104 Post by tactictoe »

Midas wrote:I would suggest 'GlameXP' -- it's a single letter addition but enough to de-reference LAME directly and, although "glame" has no meaning in English (at least according to Merriam-Webster), it is a straightforward anagram of "gleam" (i.e., shine brightly)... ;)

Following the same reasoning, 'FlameXP' does have a nice ring to it.
I like FlameXP better, it brings a picture to the mind where GlameXP does not. Glame might be read glamour (brain auto correction?). Gleam anagram will not be solved in mind for most of us, at least it is not straightforward. Flame also shines brightly. Just MHO.

deathcubek

Re: LameXP - audio conversion

#105 Post by deathcubek »

LameXP v4.14 Alpha-8
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lamexp ... e/download
Changes between v4.13 and v4.14 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 with Update-2
* Fixed the location of temporary intermediate files for SoX-based audio effects
* Enabled the "built-in" resampler for QAAC encoder
* The "Algorithm Quality" slider now also effects the QAAC encoder
* Added "AVX" (Advanced Vector Extensions) to CPU feature detection code
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100 Alpha-2 (2016-01-29), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.1.2 and Opus-Tools to v0.1.9 (2016-01-12)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.82 (2016-01-27), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated QAAC add-in to the to QAAC v2.58 (2016-01-05)
* Updated FhgAacEnc add-in to "Case" edition (2015-10-24)
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.58 (2016-01-05)