Songbird music player and library [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Re: Songbird Portable V1.2

#31 Post by JohnTHaller »

We haven't updated Songbird yet as our releases have been delayed a few days due to hurricane impact in NYC: http://portableapps.com/blogs/johnhalle ... ble-impact
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Apparently SongChick (s. http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/portable-so ... 3-deutsch/ GERMAN!) is still able to portabilize the latest SongBird.

1. Download SongChick (if you have trouble finding it, look in the comments of the page mentioned above);
2. Download the SongBird package and extract it;
3. Place 'SongChick.exe' in a folder by itself ('SongChick', for example);
4. Move the 'SongBird' folder from inside the 'App' folder of the SongBird extracted package to the 'SongChick' folder you created;
5. Run SongChick.exe, wait a while, answer the prompts and you'll be ready to go.

NB: a folder named 'Profilordner' gets created alongside the Songbird folder to hold the portable settings; I haven't checked thoroughly the stealthiness of this procedure.

I am Baas

#34 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:Download SongChick (if you have trouble finding it, look in the comments of the page mentioned above);
None of the download links in the article/comments work. I PMed you the correct one for SongChick.exe after you posted a comment in the Songbird db entry. I am not sure the author (Caschys) wants it published though.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:
Midas wrote:Download SongChick (if you have trouble finding it, look in the comments of the page mentioned above)
None of the download links in the article/comments work. I PMed you the correct one for SongChick.exe after you posted a comment in the Songbird db entry. I am not sure the author (Caschys) wants it published though.
That's why I didn't publish it either; but if you look better, you'll see a similar link present in the comments section of the article referred, which the author could've deleted if that was the case... Many thanks for your help, BTW. :)

webfork

Re: Songbird Portable

#36 Post by webfork »

So Songbird shut down over a year ago but this was news to me. I'm bummed that they weren't able to get it together and make a legitimate iTunes alternative. I'm surprised Google/Facebook didn't pick them up. Maybe that was the goal but neither company was interested? Who knows.

Fortunately it's an open project so it can continue (Nightingale) and evidently fixing some outstanding bugs. Haller is evidently working with them to get a portable version setup: http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-1119-page-2.html

JohnTHaller

#37 Post by JohnTHaller »

It's coming. I've just been occupied with some other bits. Like my primary dev box going BSOD. Nightingale is a pretty solid app and it's working portably well. I do want to finish full path portablization of the SQLite bits before release, though.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

So far there's no movement. It might be as a result of the project itself moving slowly; the blog.getnightingale.com mentions the Portable effort in the second post, but that was back in 2014. The last update meanwhile was over a year ago. Posts in the “is nightingale still in development” weren’t terribly encouraging: http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-1437.html

I tested out the Mac version and the program worked well, though some video files caused a program crash.

Midas

#39 Post by Midas »

FYI, Nightingale topic is at viewtopic.php?t=14665.

Sadly, nothing much else happening, otherwise...

webfork

#40 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 am FYI, Nightingale topic is at viewtopic.php?t=14665.

Sadly, nothing much else happening, otherwise...
This was one of those projects I'd like to think was just a critical mass problem. It had to get to a certain size and audience in a certain time frame or it just didn't make any sense. I'd like to think if they did something along the lines of Spotify, it would have succeeded but I don't claim to know the market nuances around the shift from what was essentially iTunes -> subscription services.

Regardless, I feel like it's a shame since a lot of what Songbird tried to do is what WebTorrent Desktop is doing right now (sans peer to peer stuff): getting an entire browser backend to function as a media center.