Search and delete

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tactictoe

Search and delete

#1 Post by tactictoe »

Search and Delete is born from the chit-chat forum of this website (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =1&t=22472) as an answer to one member. If you read the forum topics you will also see another solution provided by System as a console application that works very fine (Great work there System, :wink: ).
Anyway as I started to tweak and play with my latest baby I discovered it was very useful and searched the net to see if they were any equivalent to its performing task. The answer is yes and no. Yes they are tools (Commander like) that can do its task and even more. But none are dedicated to delete, replace, archive, rename extension of file scattered around a drive or network drive. This portable software just do this. So I decided to upload it on my site for a start. And now I decided to propose it here an only here. After all the idea came from one of the member.

So here it is:
SAR01.png
To listen to MIDAS I made the GUI neat and clean. Point taken when I was developing Movie Info Search.

So what permits you this software?

Given a starting directory and a file mask:
- It will search recursively from the starting directory and then to all its sub-folders for files matching the mask. The search is fast but classic though and can take time if you search for example a whole System HDD from its root but the search can be aborted via 'Esc' key any time.
Once the search end it will display the result in a list form. Result are partial or none if you do abort it. With these results if any you can:
- Select all, Deselect all, or manually select/deselect search result item in this list.
- Save the search result for later use (Load search), very useful for long search previously made.
- Launch the file with its associated software (useful e.g. for text, PDF, Image file...) via double-click on the item or its dedicated button: 'Launch file'.

With these/this selected item(s) you can therefor do:
- Archive in a zip format the file in the location of your choice.
Archive.png
Archive.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 50639 times
- Rename the extension of one or more selected file
Extension.png
Extension.png (7.43 KiB) Viewed 50664 times
- Delete one or more selected file permanently or to the the recycle bin

Given a file replacement:
- Replace the selected file with the one given (One file replacement per folder) and delete the file to the recycle bin or permanently.
- Replace the selected file with the one given (One file replacement per folder) but no deletion.
All with warning message before hand or not. I do recommend to leave the warning to avoid to delete file by mistake. If it happens do not come back to me, you've been warned enough. Otherwise you can use software like 'recuva' (Download it portable on a USB disk if needed here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=recuva&m= or there http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/portable) to recover immediately these lost files.

You can also skin (theme) the software.
- 6 skins are proposed to accommodate your windows look.
And finally you can force the software to save in a ini file all your preferences:
- Skin, all the given path, archive path, the mask, the extension, the current execute menu, delete to recycle bin and warning option, and last form size of the window software.
Please note, the INI file created by you will be located in the application folder and adapt its name to the one of the software. Therefor if you rename the software for any reason you will have to manually rename the INI file accordingly.

The software does not write anything to the registry at all.

I tested this software under windows 7, 8, 10. I don't have XP anymore, neither Vista. Could be good to know if it works under vista. Sorry for user of windows XP as it use API XP does NOT recognize, the software will probably launch but the moment you browse for folder you will receive error. I am working on a dedicated version for you guys (Prior Vista user).

You can download it here:

- 32bits Windows OS : http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/Delph ... 32bits.zip
- 64bits Windows OS: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/Delph ... 64bits.zip

and it's home page link: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/SearchAndReplace.html

Any suggestion or constructive critics welcome.
That's it. Please test and vote if you like it, :D

Have all a nice day.

Edited part:

Here is the link to vote for this software: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2767
Home page of the software: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/SearchAndReplace.html
Last edited by tactictoe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnW

Re: Search and delete

#2 Post by JohnW »

First let me thank you for another useful contribution.
I risk sounding patronising but it is good when contributors use TPFC as a sounding board.

But (yes ... there is a but!) I wish you'd make up your mind what your application is called and stick with it.

You refer to it as SearchAndDelete in TPFC and as the heading on your Home Site.
But the links refer to \SearchAndReplace and the exe file is SearchAndReplace.exe.

I guess quite a few will see me as a pedant but it really irritates me!

Stoik

#3 Post by Stoik »

Hi, JohnW !

Minor issue, but ...
I think TacTicToe's thinking is easy to follow and he did the right thing.
He first scrambled a draft software in a hurry,
then her realized that there are so many "SearchAndReplace" things out there,
so he made the name a bit more unique with "SearchAndDelete".
Of course, You are right, the names now need to be consistent now.

I agree with You that this kind of pooling of ideas
is a very good thing.

Greetings,
Stoik

allclownsareevil

#4 Post by allclownsareevil »

JohnW wrote:I guess quite a few will see me as a pedant but it really irritates me!
I wish my life was that simple that I could get annoyed by program names :shock:

... so tactictoe allow me to be the first to say thank you for your efforts and posting it up here for everyone. It's one of those tools most people may only need occasionally, but it will save them a ton of time and effort when they do come to use it. :) Upon first use, I like the simple interface. I'll give it a more robust test shortly, when I don't have quite so many deadlines to meet. Thanks again buddy.

tactictoe

#5 Post by tactictoe »

Hi JohnW,
But (yes ... there is a but!) I wish you'd make up your mind what your application is called and stick with it.

You refer to it as SearchAndDelete in TPFC and as the heading on your Home Site.
But the links refer to \SearchAndReplace and the exe file is SearchAndReplace.exe.
:?: Sorry I did upset you with a problem of name, :( . But I see your point and it creates unnecessary confusion. 'Errare humanum est'.
:!: So the application Binary name IS SearchAndDelete.exe for both 32 and 64bits version. I just recompile both version.
:!: The archive name is now: SearchAndDelete_32bits.zip for the 32bits version and SearchAndDelete_64bits.zip for the 64bits version.
:!: The name of the application to refer to is 'Search and delete'.
:!: And last, the home page of Search and delete is updated for all the above reasons.

Why did it happened to be so confusing. Stoik got it absolutely right, I lost also myself in the shuffle a little bit. Anyway, your critics was positive. As I said before confusion is unnecessary.

Hi Stoik,

Thanks for being my advocate here, :wink: I appreciate this. You were also absolutely right in your comments. But here we are, and the problem is solved.
Pleaded guilty and due to fair circumstances founded not really guilty. Result: 3 litters more of espresso to drink to correct mistakes, forced to stew the problem and do 2 good compilations, use the force to finally doing it without confusing myself. All these above done with a positive and logic mind, 'Live long and prosper'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi allclownsareevil,

Thanks for comments and future test of the software, wish you the best with your deadlines.

All in one I did not expect so many comment so fast, but that is what happens when you fire a forum topic at the portable freeware collection web site.
And at last: Thanks for these quick and prompt answers, comments, support and critics. I appreciate it. So: THANK YOU ALL.

Here are the links to the new compilation:

- 32bits Windows OS : http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/Delph ... 32bits.zip
- 64bits Windows OS: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/Delph ... 64bits.zip

Note: to avoid more future confusion I edit my first post to give the correct link too. The HTML name of the page will stay as it is, I am so an amateur with HTML. The title inside the page was already referring to Search and Delete.

Have all a nice day, :D

xor

#6 Post by xor »

Kudos to @stoik for igniting the idea of this app through a need.
Kudos to @webfork for pointing out about the possibilities of such an app like this.
Kudos to @system for proving such an easy way to implement a solution to it through code (whatever programming language is used).
Kudos to @tactictoe for taking the time to build a GUI for it and setting the basis to further expand its capabilities.
I would suggest a more appropriate name for this App (since it does much more than simply Search and Delete files, e.g. Search&ProcFiles, Search&Fiddle :-) just to name whatever comes to mind.
Good work everybody!

tactictoe

#7 Post by tactictoe »

Just retested the software found some bugs, all good now. And while I was at it add a little help gadget for the file mask. It opens a dialog box which explains how to use mask and wildcard.
that's it.
SAR01.png
Have all a nice day or evening and vice versa if you are living downunder. Oi Oi Oi! :wink: :D

tactictoe

#8 Post by tactictoe »

Code: Select all

I really like the idea behind this one.
:idea: The idea: why not having a special/dedicated forum page where user can request an app for their needs? A bit like a bounty hunter software board for good Samaritan developer?
Of course we do not need to reinvent the wheel; if a software answer the need, let's point to its URL in the database, :wink:
Would this idea be feasible? I am sure of its success, if advertised properly. Better than digging in the chit-chat section to find this kind of info. Think about it.

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

tactictoe wrote:

Code: Select all

I really like the idea behind this one.
:idea: The idea: why not having a special/dedicated forum page where user can request an app for their needs? A bit like a bounty hunter software board for good Samaritan developer?
Of course we do not need to reinvent the wheel; if a software answer the need, let's point to its URL in the database, :wink:
Would this idea be feasible? I am sure of its success, if advertised properly. Better than digging in the chit-chat section to find this kind of info. Think about it.
We already have such a thread: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=8267
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tactictoe

#10 Post by tactictoe »

I need new glasses, That is a fact. Thanks for the Info.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

tactictoe wrote:Search and Delete is born from the chit-chat forum of this website
Thanks for your work on this. It feels good to work on a site that’s helping actively solve problems in computing.
JohnW wrote:But (yes ... there is a but!) I wish you'd make up your mind what your application is called and stick with it.
I would usually agree but this time in the early creation of a new freeware program is really the time to find a name that's unique and clearly explains the program. If we're talking 6 months from now program name changes are exceedingly unwelcome for a long list of reasons.

tactictoe

#12 Post by tactictoe »

Search and delete V1.3.1.0 is released.
SAR01.png
What's new:
- Extension label display is shorted when more than 5 characters are provided. The software still use the extension provided for renaming the extension of checked file in the search result list. This is just a cosmetic change to avoid extra long label non-sense.
SAR_Update2.png
- New help button to explain more about the Execute menu options.
- Old help button for wildcard and mask modified for uniformity purpose.
SAR_Update.png
SAR_Update.png (10.29 KiB) Viewed 50036 times
No one for a feedback? Comments, Critics, Suggestions all welcome. Rotten tomatoes? No, Thanks.

:idea: Please, vote if you have tested it and like it.

Have all a nice day! :D

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

tactictoe wrote:No one for a feedback? Comments, Critics, Suggestions all welcome.
This is on my todo list to check out but I'm a little overwhelmed so it might take me a few weeks. Hopefully that won't diminish the momentum or your interest in working on it.

The only thing that jumps to mind in terms of wishlist is just network functionality. That is: can this program search multiple computers and replace files on each? I know admins for big networks have scripts that handle all this but on a small network, that could be a real time saver.

tactictoe

#14 Post by tactictoe »

CAN YOU USE SEARCH AND DELETE WITH NETWORK PC?
webfork wrote:
tactictoe wrote:No one for a feedback? Comments, Critics, Suggestions all welcome.
This is on my todo list to check out but I'm a little overwhelmed so it might take me a few weeks. Hopefully that won't diminish the momentum or your interest in working on it.

The only thing that jumps to mind in terms of wishlist is just network functionality. That is: can this program search multiple computers and replace files on each? I know admins for big networks have scripts that handle all this but on a small network, that could be a real time saver.
Cannot see why not. Inside Target settings the Button 'Browse folder can point to a folder of a Networked PC

Let's rename the extension of a text file to '.old', for answering the question and test purpose.

The file before
netFolder.png
netFolder.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 49966 times
Selection inside the software before renaming its extension to '.old'
netFolder2.png
Did it work? Ok, let's search for '*.old' file into that folder

Selection inside the software after renaming the extension of the file to '.old'
netFolder3.png
So was it a successful test?
DEFINITELY YES
Just check the extension inside the folder of the networked PC.

Now you mentioned MULTIPLE PC, that could be achieved if the software had Multiple Starting Target folder instead of a single one. :idea: :idea: :idea: YES good idea, I'd say GREAT IDEA.

Draft on how to do it for next update: Check Box List instead of Edit Box... possibility to delete item on the list, selected item will be performed one after the other, Sequential Search performed from Selected Item in the Starting Target folder List. That will modify the GUI but for the best I hope. I will work on this.

Have all a nice Day! :D

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

tactictoe wrote::idea: Please, vote if you have tested it and like it.
eh?