HDClone

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dot

HDClone Free

#1 Post by dot »

HDClone Free

Standalone tool from here, where they got more of those, for the geeks to check out.

HDClone Free lets you migrate easily from your HDD to a larger HDD (the usual scenario), and it is doing that on a physical level, thus avoiding errors and being fast. The different commercial versions (Basic, Standard, Professional, Enterprise) got faster speeds, up to 1 GB/s and also let you migrate to a smaller HDD. Description of the different versions here.

You simply create a boot floppy or a boot CD. The little "install.exe" is no installation file but just a tool to help you create the boot medium. If your CD Drive does not get recognized by install.exe (as in my case), you can create manually a boot CD from the hddclone.iso file.

The program seems to behave a bit fuzzy with different computers. I still haven't managed to make it run here properly, as keyboard and mouse clicks don't get recognized, after it has booted. But they offer a few workarounds in their PDF helpfile and on their forum.

JohnW

#2 Post by JohnW »

Just to reinforce what dot states, this app works by creating a boot floppy or boot CD.
It cannot be used on a USB drive.
There are no executables to install.
The same applies to other programs on the Home site.
That said it is independent of the operating system, free and I guess portable.
Might well be useful for some.

dot

#3 Post by dot »

JohnW wrote: It cannot be used on a USB drive.
On their forum I could read that they plan to make HDClone run from USB, and one guy on their forum states he has succeeded in making it run from USB. Link

Nevertheless, I still can't make the program run properly on my setup. Gotta write to the support.

modussn

HDClone

#4 Post by modussn »

Copies smaller drives onto larger ones for migrating or backing up complete installations as well as for data rescue.

The download package contains HDClone as a Windows application (HDClone/W) and as a self-booting application (HDClone/S). You can easily create a bootable HDClone/S floppy disk or CD/DVD on Windows with only few mouse clicks. A floppy image, ISO image, and manual (PDF) are also enclosed.
http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html