Text Editor Performance Tests

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
TP109

Re: Text Editor Performance Tests

#61 Post by TP109 »

Very interesting info on EmEditor. 6-8 seconds is a decent time for that size. I noted that too with EditPadLite. The file appears almost instantly but you can't scroll down to the end. In my testing, I classify that as useable from an average consumer viewpoint since the user can verify that the correct file was loaded and the editor isn't going to freeze or crash. For professional large file editing, that wouldn't be acceptable. And that illustrates another difference between professional editors and consumer class freeware editors. EditPadLite is the best performing freeware editor, but it's still not in the same league as UltraEdit or EmEditor.

Yes, the HW, OS and other supporting apps are going to make a difference. That is why I'm forced to continuing testing on the same system.

TP109

#62 Post by TP109 »

There was an error for the earlier Editor2 tests results on the Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm post of this thread. The time should have been .091s, not .91s. I put the decimal in the wrong place. Those were single tests and I didn't double-check them. I have since retested and Editor2 is about .12s on average, although it can vary to as low as .06s or as high as .22s. That makes Editor2 the fastest launching editor of those tested. It's very slow to load a 68MB file however.

Here is the corrected information:

Editor2
F:\Utilities\editor2\editor2.exe
2.9.1.13 Ansi
Empty - .12s
68MB - 22s
Last edited by TP109 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TP109

#63 Post by TP109 »

I retested many of the editors and combined the programming and notepad class editor results into a single spreadsheet for easy comparison. More work still needs to be done for the load tests. Right now, I'm recording the lowest RAM and VM after the editor has been minimized and then maximized again, regardless of time. I'm changing that process so a consistent measurement process can be obtained since it's a good indication of an editor's stability with large files.

I will post a link to the file later.
Last edited by TP109 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#64 Post by TP109 »

Here is the link to download the latest Text Editor performance test results:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g9 ... 61b3affe3d

It expires in 28 days.

Midas

#65 Post by Midas »

Excellent work. 8)

From here it looks like the top ten list in the "Notepad replacement" category based on speed alone are:

Editor2, Win32pad, QuickEditor, nPad2, AkelPad, EditPadLite7, JANE, EverEdit, NFOPad, and Notepad2-mod...

TP109

#66 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote:Excellent work. 8)

From here it looks like the top ten list in the "Notepad replacement" category based on speed alone are:

Editor2, Win32pad, QuickEditor, nPad2, AkelPad, EditPadLite7, JANE, EverEdit, NFOPad, and Notepad2-mod...
Yes, if going by speed alone and without any substantial file loading. I tested all the editors using the 68MB test file as the smallest test file. I haven't yet tested for threshold point, the point where performance starts to decline with filesize. Speed and responsiveness are probably the most important features though since most users can see that for themselves and they don't open large files on a routine basis, but it's good to know what these editors can handle.

xor

#67 Post by xor »

I once heard of conTEXT a free and portable text/code editor with highlighters for nearly all the programming languages and about 3 MB size, I hope it performs as good as it looks, that is, if tests are still ongoing. :)

TP109

#68 Post by TP109 »

Updated the spreadsheet with X-ConTEXT test results and uploaded the file. Link is good for 28 days.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gf ... cd793ad7c6

Midas

#69 Post by Midas »

xor wrote:I once heard of conTEXT a free and portable text/code editor [...]

TP109

#70 Post by TP109 »

Spreadsheet updated with X-ConTEXT ver3. Good for 28 days.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g0 ... d72e5aff8b

I didn't know about Rev 3 until now. I had downloaded rev1 from here:http://www.contexteditor.org/downloads/ Thought it was the latest version.

Rev3 performance is actually worse than rev1 for large files. Retested that several times to make sure. Out of curiosity, I disabled the splash screen for rev3 in the ini file and it was slower by .1s on average. When I re-enabled it, it became faster again.

TP109

#71 Post by TP109 »

I've been testing x-ConTEXT ver3 for about a week and so far it has performed well. It has a nice set of features, like compiler/external tools setup, project management, favorites, configurable syntax highlighting, and more. It hasn't crashed no matter what. Only a few editors tested for reliability/stability haven't crashed under heavy usage, and so far, this looks to be one of them.

As a sidenote, I find some of the claims for x-ConTEXTs ability to handle large files interesting, although other editors make similar claims. On No-Nags, it's stated that it "can open and edit very large files, while requiring only modest amounts of RAM and hard drive space." On the ConTEXT webpage, the 2nd listed feature is "unlimited editing file size, 4kB line length."

While not among the fastest launching, lowest for resource usage, or best for large file handling, it has average to above average performance. That combined with its feature set and stabiity, makes it a top contender in the general purpose programming editor class.

TP109

#72 Post by TP109 »

Saw the BVDEditor was added to the DB. I will test this one soon. I already did a quick check with 250MB and it took about 45s to load. It wasn't usable while loading. Since this is a new editor, will check it out on a Win7 system with Dual core CPU too.

smaragdus

#73 Post by smaragdus »

Since this is a new editor, will check it out on a Win7 system with Dual core CPU too.
No, BDV Notepad is not a new editor, it is old and even abandoned. The latest version was released on January 2009. It was private but I voted for it so BDV Notepad is no longer private and that's why it appeared as a new program in the database.

TP109

#74 Post by TP109 »

Tested BVD Notepad and Synwrite v6.19.2150.

There was significant improvement in Synwrite's performance from version 6.16.2010. No lockups, much reduced VM and RAM usage, and faster loading speeds. I couldn't get it to integrate with AppTimer however, so the launch times are estimated. It's almost impossible to measure speeds under 2-3 secs accurately using manual methods. Anyway, although it didn't load the 250MB test file, it didn't crash, the UI was usable, and VM was at 11.5MB - one of the lowest I've seen for that file size. No doubt there were changes made.

Newest test results uploaded. Good for 28 days.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gf ... 9a4f1dc506

TP109

#75 Post by TP109 »

Tested TopGun 2.4. This is an extremely fast launching notepad class editor. It's empty launch is slightly faster than Editor2 and its launch times are in a narrower range. Both are so fast however, that it would be difficult to see the difference.

It handled the 68MB file with no problem at 3s and the 250MB file with no issues, although it took a long time at 45s. I even tried the 750MB file and it loaded after 3.5 minutes or so, but was starting to freeze and lockup at that point. The UI is unusable while loading. I didn't document results beyond the 250MB file because of its 45s launch time, but it seems to be able to handle these large files quite well for a notepad class editor.

As for Synwrite, I did some stability/reliability testing and it crashed quite often whenever the PC was under heavy use.

Results uploaded below. Link good for 28 days.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gd ... f15b20d542