Challenger - Mobile encryption software

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

Challenger - Mobile encryption software

#1 Post by Checker »

Homepage: http://www.encryption-software.de/chall ... index.html
Download: http://www.encryption-software.de/chall ... nload.html

From the homepage:

Challenger is a software for the encoding of files, folders and drives. For the installation and for the execution simple user rights suffice. Thereby the program is mobil usable on an USB flash drive too. The software is conceived for the local protection of data privacy and for closed communication circles. A new synchronous stream cipher, a development from Germany, delivers a fast encryption.

The program use a two key procedure. One of the keys represents a conventional memory phrase or password. The second key is created by an extensive list (3 MB) with real random numbers. It is generated individually also and can be handled like a material key (safe). The second key can be formed independent of the PC platform for high security requirements also. Attacks with keylogger remain ineffective because to spy out the passport phrases for a deciphering of your data does not suffice.

eneri

Only 128 bit key

#2 Post by eneri »

Warning because Challenger (free version) can only support 128 bit key. Others software, like EncriptOnClik support 256 bit key lenght in free version software.

grannyGeek

#3 Post by grannyGeek »

Documentation on their web site seems to be saying that the "portable" edition is for U3.

Can the standard version be used portably?

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

I downloaded it from this (german) site: http://www.net-und-web.de/sicherheit_de ... rtable.php

It says: "After downloading you have to unpack the file (e.g. to: C:\App2Go\Sicherheit\Challenger Portable).
After this you can copy the folder to an USB-stick and delete the folder on your PC".

Start the application with: "Challenger Portable.exe"

If you download from this site, the program starts in german, but can be switched to english.
(Datei -> Einstellungen: Sonstiges -> Sprache/Language)

@ eneri: You're right - the free version is limited

I am Baas

Re: Challenger - Mobile encryption software

#5 Post by I am Baas »

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

Challenger version 2.4.11 released.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Challenger German only changelog is at http://www.encryption-software.de/chall ... gelog.html.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

Challenger version 2.4.15 has been released. New change log page (in English):
http://www.encryption-software.de/chall ... lenger.php

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

Challenger 2.4.18 released, however I don't consider it to be a truly portable program because it requires an external drive to be connected during installation, if there is none it cannot be installed as portable and used as such.

portabler

#10 Post by portabler »

smaragdus wrote:Challenger 2.4.18 released, however I don't consider it to be a truly portable program because it requires an external drive to be connected during installation, if there is none it cannot be installed as portable and used as such.
The program is portable.

1)
Choose hard disk installation and install into any folder! Only NOT to "C:\Program Files". So the destination folder contains all needed Challenger program files and can be freely copied.

2)
If you perform the installation on an external drive, then there are the same program files into "?:\Apps\Challenger". This folder can also be freely copied.

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@portabler
Thank you for the clarification, I followed your instructions and I can confirm that Challenger is really portable and after I unmarked 'Dialog instead of tray-symbol' (checked by default) Challenger is exactly to my liking (minimized to tray).

By the way I couldn't find the price of the full version at Challenger web-site.

billon

#12 Post by billon »

Latest version 2.4.27

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Challenger v2.4.32 released (changelog at www.encryption-software.de /challenger/en/doc_changelog_challenger.php)

NOTE: paid full version includes PAD generator, longer key lengths and support for network drives...