Update process questions

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Special

Update process questions

#1 Post by Special »

[Moderator note: this thread was split from a CCleaner update notice.]

----
robzuc wrote:New updated CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Changelog: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history
Ciao,
Roberto
Your update posts are really just spam at this point, you don't even give this site a few hours before coming here to post that there's been an update, if it's been a few day then go ahead a make a post, but you don't need to make a new post every time a new version of something is released, these guys do a good job with updates already.

SYSTEM

Re: CCleaner v5.08.5308

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Special wrote:
robzuc wrote:New updated CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds
Changelog: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/version-history
Ciao,
Roberto
Your update posts are really just spam at this point, you don't even give this site a few hours before coming here to post that there's been an update, if it's been a few day then go ahead a make a post, but you don't need to make a new post every time a new version of something is released, these guys do a good job with updates already.
Well, I don't check for updates that often. If an update isn't mentioned in the forum, it's mostly up to Checker to update the entry.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

Spam is your meaningless post. I thought that here there were no trolls, but there is one at least.

Napiophelios

#4 Post by Napiophelios »

smaragdus wrote:
Spam is your meaningless post. I thought that here there were no trolls, but there is one at least.
I dont think Special is trying to be a jerk, He has a valid point;
update notifications from forum users are helpful,
but keep the forum tidy and either let someone know via the DB Entry comments section or
in the DB Entry's linked forum page.

for CCleaner it would be:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... .php?t=544

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

Napiophelios wrote: update notifications from forum users are helpful,
but keep the forum tidy and either let someone know via the DB Entry comments section or
I think it's unnecessary. The "Portable Freeware Update" subforum exists for the purpose of update notifications like this. If the number of threads in this subforum bothers you, just don't view the subforum.

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

hey man I was just politely voicing my opinion, no need to be a dickhead.

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

Napiophelios wrote:hey man I was just politely voicing my opinion, no need to be a dickhead.
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to be a dickhead. :(

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Special wrote:Your update posts are really just spam at this point, you don't even give this site a few hours before coming here to post that there's been an update, if it's been a few day then go ahead a make a post, but you don't need to make a new post every time a new version of something is released, these guys do a good job with updates already.
Checker does amazingly but I don't want to expect him to handle all updates. As a volunteer website, contributions are always welcome. There are exceptions: if for example, robzuc was posting about items that had already been updated, that wouldn't be helpful. However, the ongoing update work from the group (especially Checker) is part of what keeps the site alive. As such, I appreciate robzuc's effort here.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:update notifications from forum users are helpful,

for CCleaner it would be: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... .php?t=544
This is a policy issue that we haven't really worked out. It used to be that updates went under updates and there wasn't really any question there. However, since forum posts started getting attached to entries, many threads in the Submissions forum have become sort of the "home" thread where all activity on a given program has been listed.

I'm personally split on this as I'd like to have updates listed separately to avoid hijacking conversations about program capabilities, quality, troubleshooting, etc. but -- as the person who consolidates threads here on the site -- I tend to cluster topics all in the same thread, especially if there have been no posts for ~2+ years.

Suggestions on how to proceed are welcome.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [for clarity, added "on how to proceed"]

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

SYSTEM wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:hey man I was just politely voicing my opinion, no need to be a dickhead.
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to be a dickhead. :(
You weren't. You were saying it as it is. I would have probably said the exact same thing!

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

I was under the impression that the attached forum topic should be for discussing the app itself (under the "Submission" or "Discussion" subforums), surely not for submitting updates?!

I support the idea that updates should be submitted under the "Updates" subforum, preferably one topic for each update.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote:I support the idea that updates should be submitted under the "Updates" subforum, preferably one topic for each update.
  • With all due respect, Mr Lee, I beg to differ: it runs counter what became customary and will just spread related topics all over.

OTOH, I see no reason to chastise anyone for posting an update notice to this forum, as it readily solves the problem for newbies and any search challenged members...

As I see it, rules are good, but flexibility is better. :)

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:I was under the impression that the attached forum topic should be for discussing the app itself (under the "Submission" or "Discussion" subforums), surely not for submitting updates?!

I support the idea that updates should be submitted under the "Updates" subforum, preferably one topic for each update.
That was your initial setup but it's clear that things have shifted a bit over time on this point. Folks have been alternately posting updates to the update thread, entry comments, and the submission threads.

Here's a suggestion and a question:
  1. To be friendly to newcomers and to duck many of the "this was blocked as a virus" entry posts, it's important to have a "home" link attached to each entry. Of course, some newcomers are invariably going to post updates here and that's fine.
  2. As to where update posts ideally belong is an open question. One of these is more important than the other:
    • Putting individual posts in the Updates sub-forum will pollute the search results (either our search or external).
    • Separate update notices prevent hijacking other threads that should stick to questions, tweaks, or other elements.
I've been working from the position that search results are critical and so I've been consolidating threads over time, but that might not be correct. Suggestions?
Last edited by webfork on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [better wording]

SYSTEM

#14 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: As to where update posts ideally belong is an open question. One of these is more important than the other:

* Putting individual posts in the Updates sub-forum will pollute the search results (either our search or external).
Hmm, I see. The search feature searches for posts by default, and the number of hits is the same regardless of whether update posts are in the main topic or separate topics. However, if a visitor uses search to find the main topic, it's harder if some results are from update topics.
webfork wrote: * Separate update notices prevent hijacking other threads that should stick to questions, tweaks, or other elements.

I've been working from the position that search results are critical and so I've been consolidating threads over time, but that might not be correct. Suggestions?
I think that not hijacking the main thread is far more important than making the topic easier to find with search. We have "Forum topic" links in the database, which makes the topic easy to find in any case. Besides, finding the main thread with search isn't that hard even if there are update topics in search results.

In other words, I think that "updates should ideally be posted in the Portable Freeware Update subforum" should remain the active policy.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Could "Portable freeware update" sub-forum be excluded from search results globally?