8 years on PFWC

Any other tech-related topics
I am Baas

Re: 8 years on PFWC

#16 Post by I am Baas »

@webfork

Thank you for everything you do for TPFC. You Rock.

I am Baas

#17 Post by I am Baas »

Userfriendly wrote:Woop Woop! :!: ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Hey, that was your 200 post... not a big number but almost every single post you made is worth the read... thank you + keep it up ...
2015-04-12_121743.png

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

I had some machine issues much of the week so I'll try to respond to all this in one big post:
Userfriendly wrote:Noticed you're nearing 5000 posts. Close to another milestone :D
True: I actually decided 8 years was more meaningful than 5k posts because so many of them are minor forum business items like "thread successfully merged".
Midas wrote:Thank you for your long lasting "kindness to strangers". Great job.
I hope it's working. When they put out a new Linux kernel, they can measure how many distros use it, how many people respond to the source, etc. Even on previous project like the Kitchen Sink, I could point to total downloads. We don't have a specific metric here on this site to point to indicating success. Almost by definition, many of the older "abandonware" programs we spend a lot of energy trying to maintain don't have a specific audience. I hope it's meaningful.
smaragdus wrote:... thank you for all the work you have done here and for always been friendly and helpful- I always appreciate your posts and tips!
billon wrote:Thank you for your interest and patience
the_watcher wrote:Congratulations webfork and thank you for all you have done here! You're doing an excellent job!
Cool, glad to hear it ... thanks all of you for saying so.
guinness wrote:I have no excuse for my absence these days, just been developing web services and mobile applications
Ultimately most of the reason I'm here is for developers like you so that's very ok.  Still, your work here was very valuable so don't hesitate to come back.
tproli wrote:Congrats and thanks for your contributions! We're getting older, huh? :) Btw, is there any special meaning of the extra "W" in the topic title? :) (Portable Freeware aWesome Collection?)
I do have a 401k so that's definitely true. :) I guess Freeware is "FW"?  Not sure what I was thinking.
I am Baas wrote:Thank you for everything you do for TPFC. You Rock.
Checker wrote:: thanks for all you have done for TPFC
:) Thanks ... ditto. The work both of you do is part of the life blood of what makes this work.
Andrew Lee wrote:*Typing with a broken thumb - freak accident*
Whoa ... ouch. Hope you're ok.
Andrew Lee wrote:I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Glad to be here. Thanks for maintaining the structure.
freakazoid wrote:Pats-on-the-backs to not only webfork, but to all TPFC regulars!
Yes, exactly.

I am Baas

#19 Post by I am Baas »

Andrew Lee wrote:*Typing with a broken thumb - freak accident*
Well, whadd'ya know, the voodoo doll works... (^_-)... lol...

Hope you recover soon.

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:I hope it's meaningful.
I'm sure it is, there's more to life than aggregates... :mrgreen:

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:there's more to life than aggregates
Well said.

Specular

#22 Post by Specular »

Nice one webfork :)

webfork

10 years on PFWC

#23 Post by webfork »

Quick update on this thread: today is now a full decade on the site. My my first post still says it well:
webfork wrote:thanks for running this site! I'm a big fan.

freakazoid

#24 Post by freakazoid »

Congrats and thanks for all that you do, webfork.

I'll be joining you in the 10-Year Club soon! Do we get a special jacket or something? :)
is it stealth? ;)

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

freakazoid wrote:Congrats and thanks for all that you do, webfork.

I'll be joining you in the 10-Year Club soon! Do we get a special jacket or something? :)
Maybe someone who's more artistic can design a logo that we can print and iron onto T-shirts, or stick onto our USB memory sticks/hard drives!

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Congratulations and many, many thanks for doing such a great job, my dear webfork. 8)

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

tproli wrote:Congrats and thanks for your contributions! We're getting older, huh? :)
Ha! Very true.
tproli wrote:Btw, is there any special meaning of the extra "W" in the topic title? :)
(Portable Freeware aWesome Collection?)
Nah it's more because I'm trying to avoid the PFC acronym which to me has always been "Private First Class". It's kind of like a company that I worked for used "GPL" for "Government Purpose License" when to me it is reserved exclusively for "Gnu Public License".
freakazoid wrote:I'll be joining you in the 10-Year Club soon! Do we get a special jacket or something? :)
Ha! :) That'd be nice.
Midas wrote:Congratulations and many, many thanks for doing such a great job, my dear webfork. 8)
:) thanks

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

So a few more years and here we are. In a few days from now, it be 15 years that I've been on the site. Still feel very lucky to be here and have this forum to mess about with freeware and interact with cool people. I mention it now as I may not be online Monday when the actual anniversary hits.

Anyway, I haven't been celebrating much in the past year so this is a nice anniversary. :)

Andrew Lee

#29 Post by Andrew Lee »

I kid you not, I just loaded the "About" page to remind myself when TPFC was started, and I was jolted by how long it has been.

Very few of my hobbies have lasted this long. Hell, none of my day jobs have lasted this long! :lol:

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

Very few of my hobbies have lasted this long. Hell, none of my day jobs have lasted this long! :lol:
Oof, yea my longest job ever lasted only 4 years. Come to think of it, my rapidly changing jobs probably contributed to involvement here on the site. It created a kind of regular place to come back to. This thread in particular was entirely a response to a difficult job situation, which fortunately got worked out.
Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:40 am I kid you not, I just loaded the "About" page to remind myself when TPFC was started, and I was jolted by how long it has been.
Yeah just run this two more years and you've got a two-decade project. Wow.