JauntePE-ized (Flashget)?!

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Alfares

JauntePE-ized (Flashget)?!

#1 Post by Alfares »

First of all i thank redllar for his great work and patience..

I tried to make Flashget http://down6.flashget.com/flashget192en.exe portable since porta potty was released and it worked rather well these days
now it is completely a failer
after I made all the steps described in this forum I got the same result:
1- Access denied to Default.jcd (application database)
or 2- failed to create empty document

so.. is there something wrong in my doing or it cant be made portable?
Many thanks .. and sorry for my bad English

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I installed the application -> made a copy of it -> and uninstall the original.
I successfully run the copy within JauntePE.
What did you do when you got the error messages? Did you get error messages when you run it, or did you get it when you want to do something with the application?
If you get error when you tried to do something, could you explain more what you did exactly? So I can test it with my computer.

Alfares

#3 Post by Alfares »

Thanks for your response chris
the error massage appears at first try to launch the portable exe
and refuse to create the database completely

if you succeeded in making it portable then it is some thing wrong in my doing
so i will consider the steps and settings carefully

when you create the portable, did the application redirect the database and the downloaded files directories?

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

when you create the portable, did the application redirect the database and the downloaded files directories?
Nope, the application did not redirect the database (Default.jcd), it is already in my FlashGet folder. Maybe you could just copy that file to your FlashGet folder instead. And for downloaded files, it depends on how you set the settings. If you set the ini to redirect all from system directories, it will be redirected if you put your downloaded files to those directories.

Anyway, I tried to download something with my test build and it worked okay. I press the + icon, add the address, set the folder, press ok... and voilà.

One more thing... when I installed FlashGet, I unchecked all additional options, like: As default download manager, Modify windows XP connections, Launch FlashGet on startup, etc.
If you are still experiencing problem, I will do better test about this.

Alfares

#5 Post by Alfares »

Portable flashget worked at last :D , but after i used "universal extractor" to extract the application files without installing it .
and there are some notes about running the portable application:
1- it can't run under user account, and gives me the error "cant create empty folder".. is there any way to make it run under user account?
2- application database and download files directory redirected successfully.

thank you chris for help

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Good news for your flashget, Alfares. :D
You see, it's quite easy to portable-ized apps using JauntePE.
is there any way to make it run under user account?
For now, I don't think it can as I read somewhere that the madCHook.dll is not able to run under user account. But, I read also the author is doing something about this. Hopefully eventually JauntePE could run within user account.

Alfares

#7 Post by Alfares »

[quote="Chris"]You see, it's quite easy to portable-ized apps using JauntePE.
[quote] Thank you chris, I realy used JauntePE from the first realease for a lot of applications, and worked fine for most of them..
but fashget was an exception, I tried to make it portable many many times, and at last asked for help.. and that realy help :D
Last edited by Alfares on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redllar

#8 Post by redllar »

is there any way to make it run under user account?
For now, I don't think it can as I read somewhere that the madCHook.dll is not able to run under user account. But, I read also the author is doing something about this. Hopefully eventually JauntePE could run within user account.
Several of us tested earlier versions of JPE within restricted user accounts and things worked fine. Don't know about now. If there's a problem it's not with the hooking dll. It would be either with JPE or the account is just too restricted. You should actually be able to run more apps via JPE within non-admin accounts than without though, as JPE will "allow" mods to the "registry" that the system won't, since those mods are handled within JPE and are never seen by the system.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

I actually tested the xplorer2 lite wrapper under a Win2K "Guest" account successfully. That was just last week, I think.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

redllar wrote:You should actually be able to run more apps via JPE within non-admin accounts than without though, as JPE will "allow" mods to the "registry" that the system won't, since those mods are handled within JPE and are never seen by the system.
Andrew Lee wrote:I actually tested the xplorer2 lite wrapper under a Win2K "Guest" account successfully.
Oops... my bad. JauntePE can run under non-admin accounts. Everyone should see how normal wrapper should not be compared with JauntePE.