Opera (Presto) - browser listing suggestion

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
billon

Re: Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ?

#31 Post by billon »

magibon died for your sins

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

billon wrote:magibon died for your sins
Instinctively that sounds hilarious but then I realized I have no idea what you're referencing.

freakazoid

#33 Post by freakazoid »

I think Magibon was the person who converted the old Opera entry to reflect New Opera before the recent changes.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

Re: Opera (Presto)

#34 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: I've given Presto it's own thread and included all the discussion surrounding splitting the entries.]

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:I think Magibon was the person who converted the old Opera entry to reflect New Opera before the recent changes.
Yeah I see what you mean now, I'd completely forgotten about that thread and for some reason didn't realize that Magibon dropped off after that whole affair.

Crap.

Edit: I reached out to Magibon about this but got no response :(

webfork

#36 Post by webfork »

I put together a proposed edit for the entry:
  • Note: Please see this entry for the latest version of Opera.

Opera (Presto) is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser, meaning feature development and maintenance for this version of Opera has ceased. It features a leaner memory footprint, more user-interface customization, an RSS reader, e-mail client, IRC chat, and native BitTorrent support. A variety of extensions are available to further extend functionality.

Later versions of Opera based on Google Chrome have not yet added these features.

Specular

#37 Post by Specular »

webfork wrote:I put together a proposed edit for the entry:
  • Note: Please see this entry for the latest version of Opera.

Opera (Presto) is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser, meaning feature development and maintenance for this version of Opera has ceased. It features a leaner memory footprint, more user-interface customization, an RSS reader, e-mail client, IRC chat, and native BitTorrent support. A variety of extensions are available to further extend functionality.

Later versions of Opera based on Google Chrome have not yet added these features.
It's pretty decent, I wouldn't be opposed to it. freakazoid's edit is probably clearer that they are two separate, unrelated engines. Originally the feature list was longer but got edited down, and really the list of differences is quite long. It's almost a certainty the newer version will never re-implement the original features unfortunately, seeing the vast number of people involved with original left and the new company focus.

freakazoid

#38 Post by freakazoid »

I'm fine with the edit.

I'd probably tweak it to something like this:
Note: Please see this entry for the latest version of Opera. Current versions of Opera are based on Chromium (link to Chromium Portable TPFC entry).

Opera (Presto) is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser utilizing the Presto (link to Presto Wikipedia article) layout engine. Feature development and maintenance for this version of Opera has ceased.

Compared to the current version of Opera, it features a leaner memory footprint, greater user-interface customization, an RSS reader, e-mail client, IRC chat, and native BitTorrent support. A variety of extensions are available to further extend functionality.
Feel free to do further editing.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

There's been edits since I originally suggested mine so this is getting confusing. For simplicity, I'll point out a few things here:
  1. Right out of the gate, I'd like to link to the current version to avoid confusion.
  2. Feel like we're repeating ourselves when we say "... discontinued version" and then "feature development and maintenance ... has ceased." Would like to cut that down to one.
  3. Recommend pushing any notice about the engine until the end of the entry because, as mentioned before, I think the vast majority of visitors have no idea what that means or don't care.

Specular

#40 Post by Specular »

webfork wrote:There's been edits since I originally suggested mine so this is getting confusing. For simplicity, I'll point out a few things here.
As I mentioned above both myself and freakazoid are fine with the proposed edit, not sure where the confusion is. For the point about the engine, originally there was no explaination about the difference, but freakazoid's existing entry edit does describe it in a single sentence. It is in the title after all, but it's not necessarily something required to outline the differences in features.

History of descriptions for reference:
Specular wrote:Opera Presto is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser that contains functionality left out of the newer (15+) versions. Features a lean memory footprint, customizable interface and searches, mouse gestures, skins, as well as an integrated RSS reader, e-mail client, IRC chat, and native torrent downloader. Also includes a turbo mode by drawing from a pre-compressed data service via Opera.

A variety of Presto-compatible extensions are available to extend functionality. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux in both 32 and 64-bit. Note: This software is no longer maintained. The download link points to the last available version from April 2014. For the new Opera using the Chromium engine see this alternate separate entry.

Alternative Portable versions:
freakazoid wrote:Opera Presto is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser utilizing the Presto layout engine (version 12 and below). Version 15 and up utilizes the Blink engine.

Compared to Blink, the Presto version of Opera features a leaner memory footprint and greater user-interface customization. It also includes a RSS reader, e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat, and native BitTorrent support. A variety of Presto-compatible extensions are available to extend functionality.

Note: Feature development and maintenance for the Presto version of Opera has ceased. The download link points to the last available version from April 2014. For the new version of Opera utilizing the Blink engine, view this separate entry.

webfork wrote:Note: Please see this entry for the latest version of Opera.

Looks pretty clear to me. The feature list over the edits has been cut down, and there is plenty more to differentiate it, but the outline works.

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about the Vivaldi browser have been given their own thread.]

billon

Re: Opera (Presto) - browser listing suggestion

#42 Post by billon »

Version 12.18 is out!

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

billon wrote:Version 12.18 is out
Very strange. Wish there was some analysis of what that change included.

Specular

#44 Post by Specular »

webfork wrote:
billon wrote:Version 12.18 is out
Very strange. Wish there was some analysis of what that change included.
An old My Opera member posted some of the changes they observed over on the Vivaldi forums (found via some googling):
sgunhouse wrote:I hate to repeat myself, but 12.18 is a security update. They removed a few protocols that are considered unsafe, added some which were not in 12.17. and enabled TLS 1.1 and 1.2 by default. And yes, there's an update for Mail too. No, no Linux or Mac versions yet.
Surprising, really. According to his summary seems like a decent update.

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

I'm kind of glad the new version came out as I evidently missed the OK for the suggested edits...
Specular wrote:As I mentioned above both myself and freakazoid are fine with the proposed edit, not sure where the confusion is. ... Looks pretty clear to me. The feature list over the edits has been cut down, and there is plenty more to differentiate it, but the outline works.
I'll go ahead and post that edit.

Edit: again, for reference, here's the previous version:
  • Opera Presto is the discontinued version of the Opera web browser utilizing the Presto layout engine (version 12 and below). Version 15 and up utilizes the Blink engine.

Compared to Blink, the Presto version of Opera features a leaner memory footprint and greater user-interface customization. It also includes a RSS reader, e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat, and native BitTorrent support. A variety of Presto-compatible extensions are available to extend functionality.

Note: Feature development and maintenance for the Presto version of Opera has ceased. The download link points to the last available version from February 2016. For the new version of Opera utilizing the Blink engine, view this separate entry.
Last edited by webfork on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)