Xlideit Image Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Xlideit Image Viewer

#1 Post by I am Baas »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Xlideit Image Viewer thread. View database entry]

----

A simple image viewer with basic image processing.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlideit/

Dl the portable (.zip) package @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlideit/files/

The configuration dialog that appears after the first run needs to be tweaked to remove shortcuts and file associations.

romulous

Re: Xlideit Image Viewer

#2 Post by romulous »

Finally, another image viewer that has the brilliant row of thumbnails (Xlideit calls it an 'image list') list ala FastStone Image Viewer :) I think this one is permanently shown though, whereas FastStone's only shows when you mouse to the top of the screen (I prefer the way FastStone does it). Not that there is anything wrong with FastStone mind you, it is just nice to see a particularly good feature get wider usage!

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

romulous wrote:I think this one is permanently shown though, whereas FastStone's only shows when you mouse to the top of the screen
Nope... setting ⇒ Image List ⇒ change to "Auto" (other options are "Show" or "Hide").

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

romulous wrote:Finally, another image viewer that has the brilliant row of thumbnails (Xlideit calls it an 'image list') list ala FastStone Image Viewer :)
From the top of the head, I recall that both MycView (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2251) and NexusImage (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2050) do it, too -- only NexusImage does it vertically instead of horizontally, which makes a lot more sense for the current breed of 16:9 monitors, IMHO...

romulous

#5 Post by romulous »

Midas wrote:
Dear oh dear, and I thought I had tried all image viewers in existence in my ongoing search for the ultimate image viewer. Apparently not! Still, I like Xlidedit - it can view MHT files! Yes, my browser can too with the right add-on installed, but Firefox takes ages to start, and I have long wanted a simple (ie one function only, that is to view MHT files), small, quick to start MHT viewer (there are just none out there).

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

romulous wrote:I like Xlidedit - it can view MHT files! Yes, my browser can too with the right add-on installed, but Firefox takes ages to start, and I have long wanted a simple (ie one function only, that is to view MHT files), small, quick to start MHT viewer (there are just none out there).
I agree. In fact, MHT viewing might be Xlidedit saving feature -- although it's little more than an HTML variant, I can't recall any alternatives for that effect... 8)

romulous

#7 Post by romulous »

Midas wrote:although it's little more than an HTML variant, I can't recall any alternatives for that effect... 8)
Not sure if you were referring to the viewer, or the format. If the format, MAF (Mozilla Archive Format) is the only other format that I can think of similar to MHT. It's open source - but as far as I know, there is only an add-on for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ve-format/
http://maf.mozdev.org/

The spec of the format is on the website, but it is essentially based on zip, so if you can't find a browser to open it, you can always rename it to .zip and use any archiver that supports .zip to view the contents. It does a good job, and I have found that on some webpages which MHT fails on (I use UnMHT to save my MHT files), MAF succeeds. Still, I continue to favour MHT though.

If the viewer, there are some: Firefox (of course, but you need an add-on), Internet Explorer (surprisingly, handles it natively), the Lister component of Total Commander with the HTMLview plugin installed (this really just calls IE to view HTML files), and also Universal Viewer (http://www.uvviewsoft.com/). That has a free version - which lags a long way behind the paid version unfortunately - and can be used in Total Commander. However I no longer trust it, due to some fairly suspicious behaviour it exhibited when I used to have it installed. There are also a number of other Total Commander plugins that can unpack the content from MHT files (though not view them direct). I currently use Lister with HTMLview, but I really want something else, as there are some MHT files that cause Lister to instantly hang, taking Total Commander with it.

I save a lot of content on a daily basis to MHT format, so what I wouldn't give for a small, simple (only has one function), fast to load MHT viewer. My attempts to find such a thing though have been fruitless.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

To the best of my knowledge (I can't really substantiate this assertion right now) MAF and MHT formats aren't the same --for one thing, which you already mentioned, MAF is a zip compressed HTML document archive, while MHT is something of a Mime encoded HTML document without any compression...

BTW, one thing you might not be aware of is the fact that MHT is mostly compatible with MS Outlook Express native EML export format, so you can switch extensions to have a MHT saved webpage open as an email message. ;)

romulous

#9 Post by romulous »

No, you are correct - they are different formats. They both do the same job though - save webpages - which is why I mentioned MAF (or MAFF as it is sometimes written) alongside MHT (I thought you were asking about formats which did the same job as MHT, if not, I misunderstood).

I wasn't aware of the MHT/EML thing either. Interesting...

billon

#10 Post by billon »

Why just don't view mht in IE? And Xlideit uses IE engine for mht and html, so what's matter
Yes, IE is crap, but for saving and viewing mht it's almost ideal

romulous

#11 Post by romulous »

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I want something that starts up instantly, not have to wait a few seconds each time for IE or Firefox.

romulous

#12 Post by romulous »

Been a few updates to this one since the thread was created. Changelog from the readme for the versions released since the thread was created:
1.0.141214 Added a button on the sidebar to scan images
1.0.141229 Added arrows to the sidebar to access hidden buttons
Updated help file with a description of the toolbar buttons
1.0.150106 The thumbnail bar can be moved to the left or right side
Rename multiple images in multi-select mode
Clicking on the right-top corner will press the exit button

Specular

#13 Post by Specular »

romulous wrote:Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I want something that starts up instantly, not have to wait a few seconds each time for IE or Firefox.
If you're after a fast-opening program that supports MHT try Opera v12x (aka the Presto engine variety). Lean memory usage and even on older systems loads quickly. I have it on my other system, a much older XP machine and it's snappy. It also handles MHT saving better than UnMHT, too.

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

Xlideit is at version 1.0.150116:
1.0.141214 Added a button on the sidebar to scan images
1.0.141229 Added arrows to the sidebar to access hidden buttons
Updated help file with a description of the toolbar buttons
1.0.150106 The thumbnail bar can be moved to the left or right side
Rename multiple images in multi-select mode
Clicking on the right-top corner will press the exit button
1.0.150116 Added support for PSD and PCX images
The image cache is saved in two files instead of a subfolder
Dl @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlideit/files/

Enternal

#15 Post by Enternal »

Wow quite a good program! Still kind of sad that it does not support Unicode file names... it's the same exact reason why I eventually left FastStone MaxView for JPEGView and HoneyView. Oh well, still going to add it to my flash drive as an alternative image viewer.