Using JPE to U3-ize applications

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
mbirth

Using JPE to U3-ize applications

#1 Post by mbirth »

Anybode here heard of U3? This is like PortableApps with the difference, that the stick also emulates a CD-ROM so that Windows automatically starts the LaunchPad and also, U3 programs are split up in "static files" which are compressed on the stick and get uncompressed to the host system upon launch and "dynamic files", which are in a special data directory on the stick.

My current approach to U3-ize applications is to import/export registry entries and copy files to their special locations and copy them back after use of the program. You can read more about it there: U3Helper. This has one little drawback: If you unplug your stick before properly "Ejecting" the LaunchPad, all changes which were not written directly to the stick are lost.

Now I'm trying to use JauntePE, so that changes of registry and filesystem go directly to the stick instead of being on the host system, until the user "Ejects" the U3-stick.

I already managed (using JPE 0.2) to get the registry thing working. But it doesn't seem to catch filesystem writes ... I'm testing with PhotoMatix and my PhotomatixPro_jauntePE.ini looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Registry]
Use=1
Data=%appname%_jauntePE.reg

[Filesystem] 
Use=1 
Data=.\Files\

[RegistryExclude]
1=*

[RegistryInclude]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MultimediaPhoto

[RegistryIgnore]
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MultimediaPhoto

[FilesystemExclude]

[FilesystemInclude]
1=*

[FilesystemIgnore]

[ModuleExclude]
1=*

[ModuleInclude]
1=PhotomatixPro.exe
2=pm_tonemap.exe
3=PhotomatixCL.exe

[SpecialFolders]
0=Files\Desktop
1=Files\Internet
2=Files\StartMenu\Programs
3=Files\Computer\Controls
4=Files\Computer\Printers
5=Files\Documents
6=Files\Favorites
7=Files\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
8=Files\RecentDocs
9=Files\SendTo
10=Files\Desktop\RecycleBin
11=Files\StartMenu
12=Files\Documents
13=Files\Documents\Music
14=Files\Documents\Video
15=Files\Unknown
16=Files\Desktop
17=Files\Drives
18=Files\Network
19=Files\NetHood
20=Files\Windows\Fonts
21=Files\Templates
22=Files\StartMenu
23=Files\StartMenu\Programs
24=Files\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
25=Files\Desktop
26=Files\AppData
27=Files\PrintHood
28=Files\AppData
29=Files\Startup
30=Files\Startup
31=Files\Favorites
32=Files\INetCache
33=Files\INetCookies
34=Files\INetHistory
35=Files\AppData
36=Files\Windows
37=Files\Windows\System
38=Files\ProgramFiles
39=Files\Documents\Pictures
40=Files
41=Files\Windows\System
42=Files\ProgramFiles
43=Files\ProgramFiles\Common
44=Files\ProgramFiles\Common
45=Files\Templates
46=Files\Documents
47=Files\StartMenu\Programs\AdminTools
48=Files\StartMenu\Programs\AdminTools
49=Files\Connections
50=Files\Unknown
51=Files\Unknown
52=Files\Unknown
53=Files\Documents\Music
54=Files\Documents\Pictures
55=Files\Documents\Video
56=Files\Windows\Resources
57=Files\Local\Resources
58=Files\OEM
59=Files\AppData\CDBurnArea
60=Files\Unknown
61=Files\ComputersNearMe
62=Files
Although it looks correct to me, all file writes go directly to the harddisk, not into the "Files" folder. btw: I launch it using "jauntePE PhotomatixPro.exe".

Also I'd like to know whether there is a possibility to put everything new to the application's folder (or below) into one directory and all changes to the rest of the local filesystem into another? But this would only be a nice addition, it's not neccessary to let the whole thing work ... I hope.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
-mARKUS

P.S.: redllar, keep up the great work. JPE is something I've wanted for a loooong time.

Zach Thibeau

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

For one thing U3 is getting the boot very soon as M$ and the creator of u3 are planning something bigger than u3
as for you question I really don't know maybe redllar can enlighten us

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I'm not sure, but it seems you have an old version of JauntePE as you have [SpecialFolders] in your ini.
You could right-click the JauntePE.dll and check what version you have just to make sure.

mbirth

#4 Post by mbirth »

Chris wrote:I'm not sure, but it seems you have an old version of JauntePE as you have [SpecialFolders] in your ini.
You could right-click the JauntePE.dll and check what version you have just to make sure.
Although I downloaded 0.2.0 some time ago, the DLL itself was that of 0.1.1. I'm now trying around with the 0.1.3 I found at wintotal.de, but it doesn't even attach to the application (no icons in the title bar)... very strange.

Cheers,
-mARKUS

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Hi, mARKUS.

The version 020 (or JauntePE 0.1.1) is experimental only, that's why there is no wizard to create the exe.

As you have version 0.1.3, you can try to create the JPE-exe via JauntePE.exe. Run JauntePE.exe -> click Build Portable; then follow the wizard.

If using this version JauntePE still redirects nothing, better wait and ask redllar. there is a user who experiencing a problem like you, and he says version 0.1.1 works good. You might be experiencing the same bug.

EDIT: Did you test the application via U3 or normally (harddisk)? Because as you said U3 is using "dynamic files", maybe because of that JauntePE won't work properly.
Or maybe you tested it via VMware?

EDIT2: Do you happened to use AMD processor?
Last edited by Chris on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zach Thibeau

#6 Post by Zach Thibeau »

mbirth wrote: I'm now trying around with the 0.1.3 I found at wintotal.de, but it doesn't even attach to the application (no icons in the title bar)... very strange.
I've been having the same problem on my amd systems but not my intel

mbirth

#7 Post by mbirth »

Chris wrote:As you have version 0.1.3, you can try to create the JPE-exe via JauntePE.exe. Run JauntePE.exe -> click Build Portable; then follow the wizard.[/url]

I'd like to not create portable JPE-EXEs, because I wanted to use my U3Helper to create JPE-INI files and launch JPE from there. So it HAS to work somehow without building portable launchers.

Chris wrote:EDIT: Did you test the application via U3 or normally (harddisk)? Because as you said U3 is using "dynamic files", maybe because of that JauntePE won't work properly.
Or maybe you tested it via VMware?

EDIT2: Do you happened to use AMD processor?
ATM I'm testing everything locally from a directory of my harddisk. I only will implement JPE-support to my U3Helper and test it using my U3-stick when it works locally.

Oh and everything runs on my Pentium M notebook.

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions,

-mARKUS

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Have you tested JauntePE using different application?
Maybe it is better to check using simple application first. Try Process Explorer, it only makes registry entry.

So, download Process Explorer and put it to example d:\. Then in your JauntePE folder, create procexp_JauntePE.ini with entry:

Code: Select all

[Registry] 
Use=1 
Data=.\%appname%_jauntePE.reg 

[Filesystem] 
Use=0 

[ModuleExclude] 
1=* 

[ModuleInclude] 
1=procexp.exe 

[RegistryExclude] 
1=* 

[RegistryInclude] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer 
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Systems Internals\Process Explorer 

[RegistryIgnore] 
1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer 
2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Systems Internals\Process Explorer 
After creating the ini, go to command prompt and to JauntePE folder, then type "JauntePE d:\procexp.exe". If using this you see no red border or no procexp_jauntePE.reg created in the JauntePE folder, then I afraid you are experiencing the bug.
And if JauntePE works with Process Explorer, it could mean that the settings of PhotoMatix needs to be reviewed.

Oh, and one more question, you are using English XP or Germany?

redllar

#9 Post by redllar »

Hey mbirth, I'd suggest dropping back to 011 as it looks like anything newer than 011 has problems with non-Intel cpus and VMs. Not sure yet, or why, but that appears to be the case.

Your ini looks fine though, except for the 1=* in the [FilesystemInclude] section. 1=* is for excludes only as everything gets included by default. So just leave [FilesystemInclude] blank if you want everything to be redirected.

And just fyi to all out there, [SpecialFolders] is still used. It comes from the Settings->File System->Special Folders->Redirected directory names list. That's a list you maintain. The other [SpecialFolder=computername/username] sections were the ones generated by the 011 or prior JPE runtime and are no longer generated with 012 or newer.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

it looks like anything newer than 011 has problems with non-Intel cpus and VMs.
Or maybe the version of the XP.
madrazel in this threadthinks JauntePE doesn't work because he or she is using Polish XP.