Wally - automatic wallpaper downloader and changer

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Wally - automatic wallpaper downloader and changer

#1 Post by webfork »

Wally is a Qt4 wallpaper changer, using multiple sources like files, folders, FTP remote folders, Flickr, Panoramio, Ipernity, Photobucket, Buzznet, Picasa, Smugmug, Google, Vladstudio and deviantART images.
Cross-platform (Linux, MacOS), supports multiple world languages,

License: GPL v2

* HKU\...\Software\BeCrux
* Writes thumbs/files to: User\AppData\Local\BeCrux\Wally\

In testing it was a very cool program. Very impressive and came up with some good selections.

donald

Re: Wally - automatic wallpaper downloader and changer

#3 Post by donald »

This may be beating a dead horse but has anyone contacted the author regarding portability?

hopefully this is a good address tortugalabs a hotmail.com address

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Thanks for the links, Baas. Edit: it's now over at SourceForge
donald wrote:has anyone contacted the author regarding portability?
Nah, I might do that if I end up using this program regularly. Unfortunately, it posted a wallpaper I'm quite fond of and now I don't want to keep testing it :)

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Still not portable but I put together a wishlist anyway:
  • Ability to work with only locally saved, favorited wallpapers, cycling them at the same rate. Maybe an "offline" mode?
  • Once you change the orientation (e.g. from Tiled to Centered) it doesn't take effect until you download a new image.
  • Doesn't seem to do much for multiple monitors. Couldn't seem to get it to tile images on my non-primary monitor.
  • Automatically pull from one reasonably safe source with a proposed keyword. Then add a prompt to indicate how users can add more sources and more keywords. This was a little unclear to me on first run.
  • Autosave any photos to a list that I can then go back through. The program seemed to indicate this was possible via a "history" option but I couldn't find that.
  • If there's something wrong with the download, you have to manually select cancel. Some kind of note about this or just going on to the next download site would be ideal.
  • Optional timed breaks (for if you're having to take breaks at your computer)

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:Still not portable but I put together a wishlist anyway:
  • Ability to work with only locally saved, favorited wallpapers, cycling them at the same rate. Maybe an "offline" mode?
Its not very intuitive, but the last version I tested this can be done.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: looks like development stopped on this one as the last update was 2014

http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 08210.html