RSS Guard - a new portable RSS reader

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

webfork

Re: RSS Guard - a new portable RSS reader

#17 Post by webfork »

I dig that. Not just that someone submitted the portability note, but that there was a specific page for a specific bug/request to be easily referenced. Not every project has that.

SYSTEM

#18 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
I dig that. Not just that someone submitted the portability note, but that there was a specific page for a specific bug/request to be easily referenced. Not every project has that.
Having "a specific page for a specific bug/request to be easily referenced" is a feature of every reasonable bug tracking system. Nearly all open source hosting sites support it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... s#Features

Of course, not every project uses a bug tracker even if one is available.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

RSS Guard v2.0.0.3 released, http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=21735.

Any chance a future version could include a multi-window layout (as, e.g., MS Outlook Express) instead of the docked item preview?

skunkos

#20 Post by skunkos »

Midas wrote:RSS Guard v2.0.0.3 released, http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=21735.

Any chance a future version could include a multi-window layout (as, e.g., MS Outlook Express) instead of the docked item preview?
Please, post feature request, including sample screenshots of any programs that offer such a feature.

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

skunkos wrote:Please, post feature request, including sample screenshots of any programs that offer such a feature.
  • Done! Sorry it took this long... :oops:

skunkos

#22 Post by skunkos »

Midas wrote:
skunkos wrote:Please, post feature request, including sample screenshots of any programs that offer such a feature.
  • Done! Sorry it took this long... :oops:
So you, basically want is this?

1. Click on feed. List of messages is shown.
2. Click on any messages -> new separate windows with message contents appears.
3. Click other messages -> if the separate window is not closed, display new message in it.
3. Docket item preview is not visible.

Is that correct?

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

Hi. All true, except the first "3."... ;)

MS OE behavior is that each message get's it's own window and it stays on even if the main application window is closed, which I find quite convenient for referral (as well as security) purposes.

Now, RSS Guard uses it's own rendering engine right? So it might not be too difficult to fine tune this to every user preference: docked preview, one detached preview for all entries, separate preview windows for each entry, or open directly in external browser. What do you think?

skunkos

#24 Post by skunkos »

Midas wrote:Hi. All true, except the first "3."... ;)

MS OE behavior is that each message get's it's own window and it stays on even if the main application window is closed, which I find quite convenient for referral (as well as security) purposes.

Now, RSS Guard uses it's own rendering engine right? So it might not be too difficult to fine tune this to every user preference: docked preview, one detached preview for all entries, separate preview windows for each entry, or open directly in external browser. What do you think?
Well, I certainly can implement such a features. RSS Guard uses webkit for drawing the contents of messages, this is very highly customizable. But I really need very (I mean really very.) detailed and specific description of how the functionality should work, because I did not even imagine that this kind of features could be useful. Please, can you provide scenarios of uses of the feature (use-cases)? I need to know how exactly the feature should behave to design and implement it well.

You know, I needed features so far included in RSS Guard, thus, I needed (more or less) exactly how to design and implement them well. I did not use this kind of feature, so I need good description. So if I understand it correctly.

So you in-fact describe these modes, let's denote them, modes A, B and C.

Shared facts (is true for all modes): There IS a message list + docked preview ARE VISIBLE in all three modes when some feed is selected. Docked preview always displays contents of selected message.
Mode A: When user selects any message, then the message is opened in one separate preview window. This windows is shared for all messages, so if user selects another message then it is again displayed in the same separated window as previous message.
Mode B: When user selects any message, then the message is opened in NEW separate preview windows. Each selected message gets own separate window.
Mode C: When user selects any message, then it is DIRECTLY opened in external browser.

Application quits when user hits "Quit" button or when all windows (main window + all separate preview windows) are closed one by one.

DO I really get it right?

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

Mostly. For me personally, the docked preview is the least interesting option, because with the sheer number of entries in any feed, it just crowds the program interface and gets in the way of managing updates. So, if the option was there, I'd turn it right off.

Compare it with Innoreader or Flym on any Android phone (not tablets, which get different screen layouts): you see feeds, then entries, and finally if you choose to open an entry, you get it full screen. On a desktop computer, with a lot more screen real estate, the paradigm is different but the usability implications remain...

BTW, in the case of Outlook Express, it was predefined as the default layout and, in the old times, that could really be a security liability because messages would be opened as soon as the message selection highlight rested on them -- and script blocking wasn't even thought of yet...

giulia

#26 Post by giulia »

hi
is portableapps RSS Guard Portable stealth ?
maybe could be added some information in the front page
thanks

skunkos

#27 Post by skunkos »

Should be stealth.