music2pc

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
nobody3000

music2pc

#1 Post by nobody3000 »

music2pc
Fast, safe, non-bittorrent and non-peer-to-peer software for getting free MP3s posted on the Internet. Using the program very easy and convenient; simply enter the artist name or song title you want to download, optionally choose the output destination folder, and music2pc does the rest.

joby_toss

Re: music2pc

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Saves (proxy) settings to [HKCU\software\music2pc].
Tested portable 2.1.0.0 version on win7x64.

bzl333

#3 Post by bzl333 »

works pretty good - plenty of 320 bitrate songs.

tomcat

#4 Post by tomcat »

It looks like a handy tool to have around. Pity that it writes to the registry - a very annoying habit that largely defeats the purpose of portability and spoils many otherwise excellent programs.

And again I notice that searching the database for music2pc delivers nothing. It seems to me that a more liberal policy should be adopted as regards inclusion in the database. As a newcomer, I don't see the point of restricting entries.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

And again I notice you didn't bother to read the FAQ. It seems to me that you should.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php

tomcat

#6 Post by tomcat »

OK, so I’ve read the FAQ and I’m still of the same opinion – in fact I had already read the procedure for including apps in the database, and that’s why I commented that “a more liberal policy should be adopted”. Sometimes it’s better to be new with a fresh, unbiased approach rather than preconditioned and complacent. No offense is intended by this statement, as you're an active, knowledgeable and helpful member.

But this is not the place to discuss this matter, and I’ll be making a relevant post in the appropriate section.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

So far works well. I'm a little confused why there are two different search provider radio buttons. Why doesn't it just search both? Anyway, I had a lot more luck with the first one. I'm curious how this thing works.
  • Doesn't support a download queue (downloads have to finish before you can search again), but you can run multiple instances.
  • A bit crashy - on the first few files, it froze when I scrolled down to see the search results. Had to do an end-task to kill it. Didn't seem to be something I could reproduce and seems to work well otherwise.
  • Doesn't sort by bitrate OR length. This is huge for me because I'd love to be able to download live sets (usually longer).
  • Sticks "[music2pc.com]__" in front of every song. Bulk Rename Utility can take care of this by selecting the Removals - first X characters and setting it to 16.
Thanks for posting nobody3000.

bzl333

#8 Post by bzl333 »

its kind of funny because next to the portable download it says this:
Portable ver.

Ready to run portable version that can be run from anywhere on your hard drive, a USB drive or even from a CD. There is no installer or uninstaller, no desktop or start menu icons are created, and no registry or other system changes are made.
i noticed that for "search provider #1" all my download traffic goes to get-tune.net and for "search provider #2" it all goes to zaycev.net so it seems to be just downloading from 2 sites as far as i can tell.

also, for some reason search provider #1 doesn't show bitrate until i click on the row.

better than Streamwriter in many ways because all the songs are complete, don't need editing cutting etc. not sure there's anything else out there. i used to use Nexus Radio but they dont show bitrate any more and seems like its on its way to the scrap heap.

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

bzl333 wrote: ... i used to use Nexus Radio but they dont show bitrate any more and seems like its on its way to the scrap heap.
Thats because they ruined when they integrated all that social media crap

bzl333

#10 Post by bzl333 »

Napiophelios wrote:
bzl333 wrote: ... i used to use Nexus Radio but they dont show bitrate any more and seems like its on its way to the scrap heap.
Thats because they ruined when they integrated all that social media crap
oh, i thought maybe they got sued or something.

Napiophelios

#11 Post by Napiophelios »

bzl333 wrote:oh, i thought maybe they got sued or something.
oh IDK about that, I was just mouthin off about my own dislike for the program.

I thought Nexus Radio was pretty awesome back in the day,
then they added the blonde girl... and everything went to sh*t.
I think they got more interested in appeasing hipsters with their social media links
thinkin they could collect some coin off the hipsters' deplorable need for everyone to know what they like
or what they thought about while doing absolutely nothing.
..and a decent program was ruined in the process.

nobody3000

#12 Post by nobody3000 »

new 2.19 portable stores its settings in a xml file.

ozok

#13 Post by ozok »

How come this software doesn't get sued or banned? As far as I can tell, it searches zaycev.net and get-tune.net and then parses the search page. If you look at sources of these pages you can see direct links to mp3 files. Isn't this illegal, what this software does?

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

http://www.music2pc.com/faq.html#q1
Q: 1. Is that legal?
A: 100% Legal! There are large numbers of Free Legal Music Sources on the Internet. music2pc can help you find them more easily by searching the public video and audio websites.
Even if you can use the software to download illegal mp3's, the software in itself is not illegal, but the responsibility of the actions comes down to the user (knives are not illegal, but killing with knives is... almost everywhere).

Is uTorrent illegal? :)

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

ozok wrote:How come this software doesn't get sued or banned?
Downloading music that you didn't buy probably isn't legal, but the tool itself? It might be different if the tool trafficked *exclusively* in copyright material. Given that there's a ton of music on the service that is very likely free, out of copyright, or available under some kind of creative commons license, it seems unlikely that the tool itself would be considered illegal. Just like Joby suggested, uTorrent can be used to download tons of both legal and illegal data.

Also you can't ask these questions about a small, buggy software program without first asking about Google. Years ago there were a few software packages/front-ends for Google to track down specific MP3s. They've (mostly) come down but you can still find material. It's one of those places where a big company can set a precedent that's hard to push back on and nobody outside of Microsoft seems willing to take on Google.