Program that checks webpages for changes?

Any other tech-related topics
bzl333

Program that checks webpages for changes?

#1 Post by bzl333 »

Hi,

was wondering if there is a portable program that checks webpages for changes like for example if an item is OOS on the Walmart website or a price gets lowered on Amazon.

i see that there are a few websites that do this and then send an email but i rather have a program if there was one.

joby_toss

Re: Program that checks webpages for changes?

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Chrome Portable with Page Monitor extension?

Firefox Portable with AlertBox add-on or Check4Change add-on?

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

WebVersions is not really intended for that, but can do it.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

bzl333

#4 Post by bzl333 »

joby_toss wrote:Chrome Portable with Page Monitor extension?

Firefox Portable with AlertBox add-on or Check4Change add-on?
SYSTEM wrote:WebVersions is not really intended for that, but can do it.

Thanks, i'll give those a try. :)

romulous

#7 Post by romulous »

If you are willing to accept non-portable, WebMon:
http://www.cmcode.co.uk/webmon/

romulous

Edit: Actually, this is one of the items in the changelog. It may be portable with a little bit of work (I just use it without any changes, and it puts its files in AppData\Roaming, like many other apps):
Added ability to specify the location of files containing preferences and list of web pages on the command line.

Midas

Re: WebMon

#8 Post by Midas »

WebMon is well suited for webpage update checking -- it even comes recommended from the author of the WebVersions (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1534) software updater...
Currently at v1.0.12, WebMon has been natively portable since v1.0.10 (changelog and download at http://www.cmcode.co.uk/webmon/):
  • WebMon Help author wrote:WebMon allows the following command-line switches:
    • -prefs <filename>
    Use the specified filename to store WebMon's preferences. When no preferences file is specified, WebMon's preferences are only stored in the registry. When a file is specified, WebMon attempts to load settings into the registry at startup and writes them back again when shutting down.
    • -pages <filename>
    Use the specified filename to store the list of pages WebMon monitors. By default, WebMon uses a file in the user's application data directory, so that on multi-user system each user's pages are separate and private. Specifying a filename overrides this default setting. You can quickly open the directory in which the pages are stored by clicking on the link in Help > About.

If you are specifying file or directory names containing spaces, it is imperative that they are enclosed in double-quotes, e.g.:
    • "C:\Program Files\WebMon\WebMon.exe" -prefs "C:\Program Files\WebMon\Prefs.ini" -pages "C:\Program Files\WebMon\Pages.dat"
Consequently and for quick portability, WebMon could be run from a batch file with the following content:
  • Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
    START "" "%~dp0WebMon.exe" -prefs "%~dp0prefs.ini" -pages "%~dp0pages.dat"