JauntePE- towards Vista compatible?

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

JauntePE- towards Vista compatible?

#1 Post by crownixx »

Currently, we are in the middle time of migrating to new Vista OS. even we dont want to use this new OS in our PC, but sooner we cant escape possibility from running the JPE'd application in the siber cafe that use Vista OS.

question to redllar
Is there have a time to make JauntePE compatible with Vista? if yes, what test do you want Vista user do with the JauntePE?

*i have a heavily strip down size of Vista (using vLite) so that my current laptop can support it. and i play the vista in the vmware. i'm willingly give my time testing on it. hope other vista user read this and give the support too.

Here's the latest list of issues for jauntePE 0.30 in Vista - update 3/2/2009
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue #1
Registry redirection fails under certain condition.
This is a major issue and kill the jauntePE main usage in Vista. Most of the "portable install" will not work under Vista

Possible solution:
I accidentally discover that if the application is UPX compressed, the registry redirection will work normal again. What vista user could do for now is package up your application portable in other platform (XP for example), UPX compress it and make the test in Vista to see the registry redirection is working.

Issue #2
Open File Dialog/ Save File Dialog/ Open Directory dialog will not show under full Registry redirection

Possible solution:
Optimized the registry redirection as much as possible. Below is the options you could take
1. Turn off registry redirection if the app do not use registry OR
2. Exclude all registry, then include only the registry key that app is used OR
3. If there are bunch of the registry keys that app use and it quite possible to include them all, then try to exlude only this keys

Code: Select all

[RegistryExclude]
1=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
2=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID
3=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions
Those three keys is the best narrowing down i could found to solve the problem
Last edited by crownixx on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redllar

Re: JauntePE- towards Vista compatible?

#2 Post by redllar »

Is there have a time to make JauntePE compatible with Vista? if yes, what test do you want Vista user do with the JauntePE?
Sure there's time. But I can't do anything here but guess what's going on based upon the feedback I'm given and then see what happens after I make a code change based upon my best guess.

I've been to the madshi website several times to make sure that he still says that the madCHook dll we're using is Vista-compatible. The last time I looked, a couple of weeks ago, he still said there shouldn't be any problems, and if there are then they're admin related - such as not setting up the app properly with the new Vista mechanism that's supposed to help more with security. Remember, JPE is acting very much like a piece of malware as far as the system is concerned. So I think you need to tell Vista somehow that it, and maybe all of the JPE-created launchers, are "okay" and that they should be allowed to do their dirty business.

The first thing I'd suggest is to run an already JPEized app package, that you know works on 2K and/or XP, on Vista, and then start up Process Explorer and check the JPE-launched app's dlls list to see if the JPE runtime dlls are in there. Assuming of course that the app doesn't just crash outright or refuse to start.

Also, you should shortly have in your hands the 014 JPE release. There's a new logging setting that you can use to turn on the to-file logging of the basic runtime settings values. It would help to make the run on Vista with logging on to see what, if anything, comes from it. Read the readme's "Application-specific inis" section to see what it's all about.

opgoth

Some Vista feedback...

#3 Post by opgoth »

I'm on Vista for some time, testing JPE 013.

The basic .exe, and the custom launchers only start using XP compatibility mode.

As far as I can tell, running them this way, works as expected. I'll begin testing with the new build...

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

he basic .exe, and the custom launchers only start using XP compatibility mode.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that little bug. It's just a stupid error on my part when testing to make sure the app isn't being run on anything older than 2K. I forgot about (again) Windows versions newer than 2003. It's been fixed but I have to wait until the gui changes are done and tested before I can release new versions of the exes.

So you're saying that running apps via JPE under Vista works fine? I think the issue came up because grannyGeek ran into problems. Maybe that was just an isolated incidence then.

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

test result after running JPE'd app in vm vista

Using Iconoid JPE'd: this app only use redirect registry, no filesystem redirection.

when running the portable launcher, yes i got the error message
"this application is only usable on windows 2000 or newer"

then i use xp compatible mode & windows 2000 compatible mode on 2 different testing as suggested by opgoth
>the JPE'd application able to run. it have the red box around the windows, small icon on top right
> using process explorer, i can see the JauntePE.dll & madchook.dll is loaded
>however,after i close the app, run regedit and i check that there is app registry added in the host system. the app fail to redirect the registry to jpe portable reg

redllar

#6 Post by redllar »

Have you used Sysinternal's Debug View before crownixx? I have a logging version of the jpe dll that I could send you that would tell us whether the api-hooks are being applied correctly under Vista. You would need to run Debug View though in order to see the messages.

Let me know if you want to work on this further.

crownixx

#7 Post by crownixx »

Have you used Sysinternal's Debug View before crownixx?
No, i never use it before.. but i hope that it is not too technically to operate :)
I google it and is this the one that you are mention?
DebugView for Windows v4.64

DebugView is an application that lets you monitor debug output on your local system, or any computer on the network that you can reach via TCP/IP. It is capable of displaying both kernel-mode and Win32 debug output, so you don't need a debugger to catch the debug output your applications or device drivers generate, nor do you need to modify your applications or drivers to use non-standard debug output APIs.

DebugView works on Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows for x64 processors and Windows Vista.
Let me know if you want to work on this further.
Yes, i already download DebugView and after this i'll go through the help file.
And because VM environment give odd behavior on new JauntePE, so in this weekend i'll make another partition and install the vista on my hardisk. Tell me what to do next and i try my best to help you :)

opgoth

#8 Post by opgoth »

crownixx wrote:then i use xp compatible mode & windows 2000 compatible mode on 2 different testing as suggested by opgoth
>the JPE'd application able to run. it have the red box around the windows, small icon on top right
> using process explorer, i can see the JauntePE.dll & madchook.dll is loaded
>however,after i close the app, run regedit and i check that there is app registry added in the host system. the app fail to redirect the registry to jpe portable reg
Yep, I notice that after posting, when I was uninstalling something through the Control Panel... The presumed JPE'ized apps where sitting there on the list of installed programs!!!

Sadly, after a series of unfortunate events, I don't have a Vista PC anymore... For now, I'll be testing on Windows Server 2003, which I prefer over XP, and need for my OEM work...

redllar

#9 Post by redllar »

Tell me what to do next and i try my best to help you
Go to thibeaz's thread and download the new 014 version I just posted about and try it.

If that version doesn't solve the problem then I'm going to create a little app to test what I want to test to make sure that it's done in a controlled manner.

crownixx

#10 Post by crownixx »

i just finish install my vista today, and make a quick test with jauntepe.dll build 20070817

and it worked perfectly! i can redirect my filesystem and the registry. i'll do more testing to confirm more on this

redllar

#11 Post by redllar »

Great. Thanks for checking that out. It might even work in a VM now.

crownixx

#12 Post by crownixx »

redllar wrote:Great. Thanks for checking that out. It might even work in a VM now.
a little busy this week, sorry for the late reply..
Yes, jauntepe.dll 015 now is working in my xp vm. it can redirect filesystem, redirect registry, redirect both filesystem & registry but except for one app, Iconoid. when in the first run, jauntepe able to redirect the registry but after the 2nd running, the jpe iconoid behave like it cannot read the iconoid_registry.reg. the app position in the top right corner and all the settings lost. but it doesnt bother me much coz jpe iconoid runs fine in normal xp..

back to vista,
i tested with jpe metapad, notepad, foxit pdf reader..i couldnt open file (or mybe folder) and save file..
and i still have a problem with the jauntepe compatibility warning. i always need to set it to xp compatible to avoid the warning.

i think thats all for now. i'll keep playing jpe in both xp n vista
btw, is it the right if i want to make some test by saving a txt file to each of the special folder?,i'm doing that coz i want to see wether there is flaw in redirect special folder in vista. dont know if it work, mybe that is a silly things to do :roll:

redllar

#13 Post by redllar »

crownixx wrote: Yes, jauntepe.dll 015 now is working in my xp vm. it can redirect filesystem, redirect registry, redirect both filesystem & registry but except for one app, Iconoid. when in the first run, jauntepe able to redirect the registry but after the 2nd running, the jpe iconoid behave like it cannot read the iconoid_registry.reg. the app position in the top right corner and all the settings lost. but it doesnt bother me much coz jpe iconoid runs fine in normal xp..
Thanks. You found another little bug. Until I get another release out, here's a new version of the Iconoid exe that should fix the problem.
crownixx wrote:back to vista,
i tested with jpe metapad, notepad, foxit pdf reader..i couldnt open file (or mybe folder) and save file..
Sorry, not much I can do with such generalized reporting.
crownixx wrote:and i still have a problem with the jauntepe compatibility warning. i always need to set it to xp compatible to avoid the warning.
That's already been addressed in a previous post in this thread.
crownixx wrote:btw, is it the right if i want to make some test by saving a txt file to each of the special folder?,i'm doing that coz i want to see wether there is flaw in redirect special folder in vista. dont know if it work, mybe that is a silly things to do :roll:
That's a perfectly valid test and assumption to make, assuming you've got the JPE runtime settings right. And you're not running the app from one of those special folders. It'd be best to set everything up on XP first, all in one non-special folder, make sure it works as expected there, then move it all together over to Vista. I would consider that a test that should work on Vista the same as it does on XP.

crownixx

#14 Post by crownixx »

i having a problem to "Open File Dialog", or "Save File Dialog Box" in all 3 apps. all the apps are using standard jauntepe_jauntepe.ini configuration with turn on both registry and filesystem redirection. and i launch them via launchpad.
That's a perfectly valid test and assumption to make
great, but since i have a problem above, mybe i need to use autoit to generate dummy txt file and i jpe'd the script..will report you after finish the test

EDIT: Just using google and try my luck if i could find the solution, is it comdlg32.dll have to do with the "Open File Dialog" problem? i'm just reading about it here
Last edited by crownixx on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

crownixx

#15 Post by crownixx »

just a report, JauntePE 015 able to detect 34 special folder in my Vista OS.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files\Common Files
C:\ProgramData
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
C:\Users\Administrator
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents
C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites
C:\Users\Administrator\Music
C:\Users\Public\Pictures
C:\Users\Public\Videos
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Fonts
C:\Windows\resources
C:\Windows\system32
All the dummy text file/dummy folder that go into those special folder can be redirected successully without any flaws :D
Last edited by crownixx on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.