DirSync Pro

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
karl_karlsson

DirSync Pro

#1 Post by karl_karlsson »

[Moderator note: this is the primary DirSync Pro thread. View database entry]

----

DirSync Pro
DirSync Pro (Directory Synchronize Pro) is a small, but powerful utility for file and folder synchronization. DirSync Pro can be used to synchronize the content of one or many folders recursively.

Using DirSync Pro you can make incremental backups. In this way you'll spare lots of time because you don't have to copy all the files each time you want to update your backup; only new/modified/larger files would be copied.

Use DirSync Pro to easily synchronize files from your desktop PC to your USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, ...). Use this USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, ...) to synchronize files to another desktop PC.

Unlike many other synchronization software, DirSync Pro is Open Source; it is 100% free of charge, 100% free of commercial text, 100% free of advertisements and 100% free of spyware. You can use it as long as you like, without any limitations in time or funcationality. You can freely distribute it according to GPL3.

DirSync Pro is programmed completely in platform independent Java™ so it can be run under nearly every modern operating system including Windows™, Linux™ and Macintosh™.

DirSync Pro has a user-friendly User Interface which helps you configure many options to your needs. You can use DirSync Pro also through the command line which makes it very flexible for running in batches.

DirSync Pro has a powerful schedule engine which lets you schedule synchronization tasks on many different ways, minutely, hourly, daily, weekly and monthly. Advanced users may use tons of options available in DirSync Pro to suit the synchronization behavior in details. DirSync Pro has many logging facilities which let you create detailed logs even per job.

webfork

Re: DirSync Pro

#2 Post by webfork »

Looks like a possibility: there's a "portable" distribution on the download page: http://dirsyncpro.org/download.html

Its cross-platform, which is great because I've been looking for a quality Mac sync program for a LONG time

ChipsNHotSauce

#3 Post by ChipsNHotSauce »

On the upside it's platform independent, On the downside it's "made in java" :mrgreen:

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

ChipsNHotSauce wrote:On the upside it's platform independent, On the downside it's "made in java"
You're right -- I missed that dependency.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I just played with this program a little and its already pretty badass. Includes a startling amount of features, customization, and capability. For someone that needs real power on their sync program, this certainly does it.

Didn't work on a Mac OS 10.5.

karl_karlsson

#6 Post by karl_karlsson »

webfork wrote:Didn't work on a Mac OS 10.5.
I've not tried it yet on Mac but that may help:
Please note: for 32-bit version OS X you may need to install Sun Java 1.6.x mannually in addition to the Java version that is already installed on your system (perhaps 1.5.x). Use then the manually installed of Java 1.6.x to start DirSync Pro.
Depending on Java usually means heavy resource consumption. Than it's interesting to see the performance and reliability, which sometimes outweigh the resource consumption.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

karl_karlsson wrote:you may need to install Sun Java 1.6.x mannually
Cool -- thanks.
karl_karlsson wrote:Depending on Java usually means heavy resource consumption. Than it's interesting to see the performance and reliability, which sometimes outweigh the resource consumption.
Yeah -- much like Open/LibreOffice, given the scope and power of the program, I don't mind a size/performance hit.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting fix

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

karl_karlsson wrote:
webfork wrote:Didn't work on a Mac OS 10.5.
I've not tried it yet on Mac but that may help:
Please note: for 32-bit version OS X you may need to install Sun Java 1.6.x mannually in addition to the Java version that is already installed on your system (perhaps 1.5.x). Use then the manually installed of Java 1.6.x to start DirSync Pro.
I know this isn't a Mac forum so I shouldn't go on about this much more but I had a use for this. I went to Java's main website to do a manual install, but they are only interested in giving you Java via the Software Update:
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

A little more digging revealed a blog post about how to go about this process. I haven't tested it yet.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Really needing a strong backup program, I finally sat down and tried to make a go of this last night. Despite some flaws, this is probably going to be my backup program of choice, simply because the number of options and controls beats any other freeware (and some commercial) backup tools I've used. Really excellent.

Screenshots
  • Fine-tuned controls over every aspect of the backup inculding verification, individual files, filters for groups of files, and multiple different jobs.
  • A variety of settings including Mirror (copy over different files), Sync (both locations exchange their newest files), Backup (copy over all files), Contribute (add files, no delete), and custom settings. This whole setup was killer.
  • Can generate a command-line backup, great for batch maintenance.
  • Can handle scheduled backups, but the program must be running (doesn't automatically use Windows own Scheduled Tasks tool, although it can).
  • Progress bar includes both the time taken so far and an estimate of how much is left.
Portability (I haven't worked out the batch file + jPortable system but that should happen soon):
  • Saves settings to dirsyncpro.properties.
  • Large, detailed PDF manual included, the author mentions the ability to run from a USB drive in the help file. So clearly the author is aware of portability issues.

Some caveats:
  • Doesn't support:
    • Autosave (you must save manually).
    • Compression.
    • FTP. To get it to upload files via FTP, I'd recommend NetDrive (not portable) + Tunnelier (if you need security).
    • Large sets of files can take a while. In my test 1.5 gigs of about 3,600 files took about 5:30 mins. Still this was faster than Dsyncronize.
    • Uses a good chunk of CPU (about 50% on my system) while running and of course as a Java program, it uses a good chunk of RAM. The command-line bit mentioned above would help somewhat with this issue, by setting it to run and terminate during idle periods.
    • Transfer speeds listing (for diagnosing slow networks or bottlenecks).
    • File listing save. Instead it checks every file every time the program is run, and therefore can take quite a while. If it had some way to quickly check for local file changes, that could save quite a bit of time.
    Recommendations:
    • In options, check "load last job set upon startup", even though this doesn't work with relative paths.
    • Analyze first, THEN synchronize ... unlike some other backup / sync programs, this one doesn't encourage this with popups or warnings.
    • For network transfers, it seemed to work better with mapped network drives rather than locations (e.g. \\192.168.1.111\drive ).

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Adapted from the muCommander entry:

Extract instructions:
  1. Download the file labeled "MS Windows executable" zip file and extract to a folder named dirsyncpro
  2. Download jPortable to CommonFiles\Java directory and extract to the same folder you put dirsyncpro. (For Example: g:\portable\dirsyncpro with g:\portable\CommonFiles\Java)
  3. Create a text file with the following contents:
    • @echo off
      @start "" "%~dp0\..\CommonFiles\Java\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%~dp0dirsyncpro.jar"
  4. Save in the dirsyncpro folder as startdirsyncpro.bat
  5. Launch startdirsyncpro.bat

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Update here: WPP just put out a version:

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.926
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... cPro.shtml

Edit: added as an alternative on the entry

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Added by Prompt24 (BTW, karl_karlsson submitted this app in 2011!) here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2643
I won't vote for such an unpolished entry.

Checker

#13 Post by Checker »

joby_toss wrote:... I won't vote for such an unpolished entry. ...
I polished it a little bit.

- Corrected "Suggested by"
- Corrected "Website URL"
- Corrected "Download URL"
- Corrected "How to extract"
- Corrected "Size (in bytes)"
- Corrected "Similar/alternative apps"
- Added "Dependencies"
- Added "Forum topic ID"

... :wink:

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

Thank you, Checker!

Works fine with jPortable (I don't have Java installed), so I voted. However, I've got a pop-up window (when launched without Java) informing me of the minimum Java version needed: 1.7.0 (instead of 1.6.0). I'll change this field until it's proven to me otherwise.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:Works fine with jPortable
How did you set it up with jPortable? Similar to muCommander?