Sharing Software?

Any other tech-related topics
Technomancer

Sharing Software?

#1 Post by Technomancer »

Hi.
I've developed my first little program and want to put it on The Portable Freeware site. I don't have my own web site or anything so I need somewhere to upload the package and allow it to be shared for free.

Can anyone help?.

Thanks.

SYSTEM

Re: Sharing Software?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

I believe this page will be useful: http://www.lupopensuite.com/webapps.htm.

The "personal website" category lists sites which allow you to create your own website for free. For hosting the program itself (the ZIP file) you can use any website in the "cloud storage" or "file sharing" category.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

I'd recommend Softpedia. I tend to favor their site for most things here. I think they offer free hosting. If you're available to opening the source code, there are a ton of options.

deathcubek

#4 Post by deathcubek »

Technomancer wrote:I don't have my own web site or anything so I need somewhere to upload the package and allow it to be shared for free.
If your software is OpenSource, use Github or Bitbucket or SourceForge.

They all provide a code repository and a way to host downloads. SourceForge also includes real web-hosting service to set up a custom web-site, if you want to.

And if your project is ClosedSource, then just get one of the various free web-space offers.

Free web-space usually has bandwidth limits though, so you might want to move the downloads to a service like MediaFire or GoogleDrive...

webfork wrote:I'd recommend Softpedia. I tend to favor their site for most things here. I think they offer free hosting. If you're available to opening the source code, there are a ton of options.
It's a good site, indeed.

But not really helpful if you are looking for web-space to host your software. Sites like Softpedia & Co ask for an existing download URL when "submitting" your software.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

deathcubek wrote:But not really helpful if you are looking for web-space to host your software. Sites like Softpedia & Co ask for an existing download URL when "submitting" your software.
Oh weird. I've seen them hosting so many times I assumed they did that normally. There are "external link" bits but SO many times we've used their site to mirror, I assumed it was just devs who requested the downloads come from their sites.

deathcubek

#6 Post by deathcubek »

They may decide to provide a download mirror. But still the "submit" form look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/koJxRLd.png

(And it's that way with pretty much all "software index" web-sites that I know)