JaunePE 0.1.4 Bugs

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
Zach Thibeau

JaunePE 0.1.4 Bugs

#1 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Ok I found a bug in JauntePE I believe. I made an app portable then all of a sudden when making other apps portable with it nothing gets redirected at all. I think it's a JauntePE dll problem

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Hi thibeaz,

Could you specify the problem you are having, you are using the launcher or you are making JPE-exe?

Local

#3 Post by Local »

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this but I assume REddlar will check this thread out so ...

I'm using V 0.1.3 but when I use the "test registry usage" Nothing at all is being picked up from any app.

I restored the version 0.1.0 JauntePe.dll and they're being picked up fine.
There is now a .reg file still being created but it also seems to be empty.

I dunno if this has already been mentioned or fixed or even if I'm messing this up somehow.

But "Every little helps?" :wink:

Zach Thibeau

#4 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Chris wrote:Hi thibeaz,

Could you specify the problem you are having, you are using the launcher or you are making JPE-exe?
Well it's just when I make the app (and after I place all the dlls in the correct position) it stops redirecting my registry and app data. It did it the first time but the second time making an app portable it doesn't do it anymore. not even after I set what modules/Registry keys to include

redllar

#5 Post by redllar »

I'm using V 0.1.3 but when I use the "test registry usage" Nothing at all is being picked up from any app.
I don't even know what "test registry usage" is. Could you please enlighten me? :)

redllar

#6 Post by redllar »

thibeaz, I don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that simply creating a portable app is causing all apps run via JPE to stop working?

And please get specific with your descriptions. Your posts aren't helping us help you so I'm at a loss as what to suggest. I don't even understand what's going on on your end.

Just in case I missed something, I re-ran all of my test apps here, which do all sorts of mucking about with the registry and the file system, and use all sorts of combinations of app-specific JPE runtime ini options, etc. And everything's working as expected.

It could be that I've missed something, but until I know exactly what you're doing, what else can I say?

Zach Thibeau

#7 Post by Zach Thibeau »

redllar wrote:thibeaz, I don't really understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that simply creating a portable app is causing all apps run via JPE to stop working?

And please get specific with your descriptions. Your posts aren't helping us help you so I'm at a loss as what to suggest. I don't even understand what's going on on your end.

Just in case I missed something, I re-ran all of my test apps here, which do all sorts of mucking about with the registry and the file system, and use all sorts of combinations of app-specific JPE runtime ini options, etc. And everything's working as expected.

It could be that I've missed something, but until I know exactly what you're doing, what else can I say?
Ok what I have been doing is Just the basic stuff. Like
Registry Redirect
File System redirect and the rest is just about icon choosing.
How ever the exewcutable is made but when I click on it it laucnhes the app but no registry key/File system is redirected.
I hope that is a little more clear

redllar

#8 Post by redllar »

Uhmm, no, not for me. I'm giving up now. Sorry. Hopefully someone else can help.

Local

#9 Post by Local »

I don't even know what "test registry usage" is. Could you please enlighten me? :)
Sorry, I was half asleep, I meant discover reg usage.

I even spelled your name wrong too :(

Would it make any difference if I use the older JauntePE Dll when making my executable
and a newer version in the folder with that .exe btw?

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

@thibeaz:
How ever the exewcutable is made but when I click on it it laucnhes the app but no registry key/File system is redirected.
You mean on first time you create the exe, the redirections worked. And after you did some changes in the.ini, it wouldn't work anymore?

Maybe:
1. You are forgetting Use=1.
Example:

Code: Select all

[Registry]
Use=1
[Filesystem]
Use=1
2. You add registry folder and you haven't created the folder.
Example:
[Registry]
Use=1
Data=.\JPE-Registry\%appname%_registry.reg
You need to create the folder "JPE-Registry".

If not because of those, it's better if you explain in detail what you did in steps.

@Local:
Would it make any difference if I use the older JauntePE Dll when making my executable
and a newer version in the folder with that .exe btw?
I believe the process of creating .exe is not involving the JauntePE.dll. As you can create the exe even without the dll.

Regarding your problem with Discovery, I would suggest to JPEized the installer and see what registry or file system the installer creates. If it won't work, it could be that the installer is not 32-bit application.
Or, better if you give us the link to the application-installer, then it can be checked if it a bug or not.

redllar

#11 Post by redllar »

I meant discover reg usage
Discovery mode! I plum forgot all about the bugs for that mode.

I think you've run into the same problem that grannyGeek did. If you have created an app-specific JPE ini for it, temporarily rename it to something else and then re-run discovery mode against the app. If that still doesn't work I think grannyGeek was able to get it to work by temporarily dropping back to the 011 JPE dll. Meanwhile I'll make sure to note myself about fixing those bugs for good. Thanks for reminding me.
Would it make any difference if I use the older JauntePE Dll when making my executable and a newer version in the folder with that .exe btw?
Chris is right about the JPE dll not impacting portable launcher exe creation. That's all done via one of the JPE exes. And the JPE exes haven't changed any since 011.

Local

#12 Post by Local »

Thanks for that guys

I'm already using the 011 dll so I'm happy with that.
I keep messing up my ini's for al the exe's I create so I won't mess around with one for discovery.

@Chris

When I try to use a non 32 bit app it woks fine and tells me straight out that it isn't supported :)

If I haven't said it yet , Thanks Redllar for a great piece of software.
If you wanted to make a difference for people with it you definitely did it right.

Zach Thibeau

#13 Post by Zach Thibeau »

redllar wrote:
Uhmm, no, not for me. I'm giving up now. Sorry. Hopefully someone else can help.
Never mind Redllar I found the problem. The problem was the fact JauntePE is not working on amd based processors (I know as I tested it on my amd athlon xp mobile laptop and my amd duron desktop computer)
I hope that answers my confusion. (It works fine on my parents intel computer)

Local

#14 Post by Local »

The problem was the fact JauntePE is not working on amd based processors

Just to note I have JPE and apps all running fine on both my Sempron 3000 laptop and Athlon 3800 Desktop.

Do your Pc's have anything else in common?

Zach Thibeau

#15 Post by Zach Thibeau »

No other than the fact one is running Pro and the other Home and 1 is a laptop and the other a Desktop