Stunnel (SSH tunneling network utility)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Stunnel (SSH tunneling network utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

Stunnel is a multi-platform OSS network utility for secure computer communication through SSH (Secure SHell) based "network tunneling", allowing for convenient access to secure servers over the open Internet.

The official installer can be (Uni)extracted -- it's built with NSIS, and all needed files will be inside the '_•€' folder -- and settings are kept in 'stunnel.conf' inside program folder.

There's something of a learning curve to be able to use it, so reading of the (extensive) documentation is recommended; I'm listing below two resources I found that may help with it, since their pre-configured examples can work as guides...

1. Stunnel_portable is a blat (viewtopic.php?t=2690) bundle available from the blat Yahoo! group (which I took the liberty of mirroring to http://mir.cr/0LOB6MXZ);
  2. Portable HFS is now an obsolete package (WARNING: includes Heartbleed afflicted OpenSSL v1.0.0c libraries!), but contains an example configuration file for stunnel v4.35, plus an AutoIt utility ('confmakr.exe') for setting needed configurations through the GUI...
    (see www.rejetto.com
    /forum/f-a-q-s/to-move-english-thing-portable-shfs-hfs-via-stunnel-with-configuration-gui/
    ).

http://www.stunnel.org/ wrote:The stunnel program is designed to work as an SSL encryption wrapper between remote client and local (inetd-startable) or remote server. It can be used to add SSL functionality to commonly used inetd daemons like POP2, POP3, and IMAP servers without any changes in the programs' code. Stunnel uses the OpenSSL library for cryptography, so it supports whatever cryptographic algorithms are compiled into the library.

Download stunnel current version (v5.02) from https://www.stunnel.org/downloads.html.

(Softpedia mirror page: www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/Stunnel.shtml)

webfork

Re: Stunnel (SSH tunneling network utility)

#2 Post by webfork »

Argh ... would have loved to play with this around 2 years ago as I was spending a whole lot of time trying to get a freeware SSH tunnel for Windows. Ah well, maybe I'll come back to it.

Thanks for posting.

h3kt0r

Stunnel - TLS proxy

#3 Post by h3kt0r »

Stunnel is a proxy designed to add TLS encryption functionality to existing clients and servers without any changes in the programs' code. Its architecture is optimized for security, portability, and scalability (including load-balancing), making it suitable for large deployments.

Stunnel homepage

Latest version for 32bits Windows

Download page

Is it stealth ? Can't tell. I've extracted files from the NSIS installer but haven't checked for registry...
It could be.

webfork

Re: Stunnel - TLS proxy

#4 Post by webfork »

h3kt0r wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:38 am Is it stealth ? Can't tell. I've extracted files from the NSIS installer but haven't checked for registry...
It could be.
You posted this to "not portable" -- did you mean to put into submission?

Also, we actually had an stunnel thread already on the forums -- I've merged them.

EDIT: You might also check out Bitvise SSH - it has some tunneling functions.

h3kt0r

#5 Post by h3kt0r »

Whoopsie ! Sorry about that. I haven't searched the forums for a previous thread. I should have known better.
Yes, please : merge.
On a side note, according to Stunnel documentation, you must uninstall TLS support under Windows XP first, before switching to Stunnel TLS proxy.
I must further dig the manual to get to know if the Windows XP certificates cabinet is still used by the proxy or not...
Updating the certificates on my system failed miserably.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

h3kt0r wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:05 pm Whoopsie ! Sorry about that. I haven't searched the forums for a previous thread. I should have known better.
It's no issue - merging threads just takes a minute :)