Why an easy to use, portable RSYNC for Windows is important

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
webfork

Why an easy to use, portable RSYNC for Windows is important

#1 Post by webfork »

I'd really like to see this come together and here's why...
  1. Fewer writes to external Flash media mean it could last last YEARS longer than it would under normal circumstances.
  2. This is exacerbated by the fact that Microsoft, Adobe, and many other file types are only going to get bigger over time. Yet the actual change to individual files when you make minor changes probably hasn't increased much over time.
  3. If a program like this takes off and becomes widely available, ordinary developers will start making software that specifically tries to keep file changes to a minimum based on actual changes. The comparison is saving an entirely new matrix or saving a new "layer" to an existing structure.
... I'll see about putting a bounty on its creation once I get some money together. Maybe post a request to DonationCoder or something.

Background: this post was drawn from another thread about my research on RSYNC. However, I think its particularly relevant to portable users (and really anyone who does most of their work on flash-based storage).
Last edited by webfork on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added a note about background, since this topic kinda comes out of nowhere)

webfork

Re: Why an easy to use, portable RSYNC for Windows is import

#2 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: Duplicati answers this issue. However, this program only works with backups rather than synchronization. Might make a feature request on this. On the other hand, it does provide incremental backups, which is also awesome.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (fixed link)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

In the absence of a clear freeware or portable RSYNC program coming up in my search, I wanted to point out that SyncBreeze is a potential (non-free) bit-level sync program. http://www.syncbreeze.com/

There IS a free version and softpedia lists "bit level" synchronization as an option within it, the SyncBreeze manual (http://www.flexense.com/documents/syncbreeze_manual.pdf) says that the it's only available in the "ultimate" version (at this writing going for $50).

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: one solution was found.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Old thread update: one solution was found.
I'm glad you find it so. :)

Because I mostly agree with it, I've been watching this subject and your musings over time. I always felt concerned that Windows, being so much more universal on the world's desktops, could be so lacking in that respect.

At least we have one more solution now -- not entirely free, but better than nothing... :roll:

On a related note, did you ever check TimeDicer (viewtopic.php?t=21441)?

Lastly, there seems to be a SyncBreeze freeware version (see the downloads page at www.syncbreeze.com/downloads.html), but unfortunately that version isn't included in the side-by-side product feature comparison matrix (at www.syncbreeze.com/syncbreeze_product_versions.html)...

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I always felt concerned that Windows, being so much more universal on the world's desktops, could be so lacking in that respect.
What's most surprising about this is the lack of interest. With the increasing popularity of flash media that has almost unlimited (and generally much faster) read speed with a life limited by disk writes, it seems like a very strange blind spot.

At least we have one more solution now -- not entirely free, but better than nothing...
Midas wrote:did you ever check TimeDicer ... there seems to be a SyncBreeze
Thanks for the suggestions ... will try to look into these along with the Bvckup 2 beta.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Rsync backup tutorial -- it's for linux, but gives you the basics:
EDIT: another similar straightforward rsync tutorial can be found at https://opensource.com/article/17/1/rsync-backup-linux...

luckyBackup Windows port (currently v0.4.8') is another related utility we should keep an eye on:
http://www.bmtsolutions.us/wiki/doku.php?id=contrib:luckybackup-win wrote:The current status of the port can be summed up with something like, "It mostly works and there is active development to improve it". The Windows version of luckyBackup is not however 100% functional and there are known (and probably unknown) glitches and bugs with it.
Last edited by Midas on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

smaragdus

Re: SyncBreeze

#8 Post by smaragdus »

About SyncBreeze which was mentioned by webfork, I tested it several days ago and it turned out that it is so severely limited:
· Maximum Number of Files - 100,000
· Maximum Storage Capacity - 1 TB
· Maximum Number of Sync Commands - 3
that it is virtually useless for me. The limitations of the "free" (for me it is just a demo) version of SyncBreeze have been removed from Softpedia page and they are not listed in SyncBreeze versions page either. When one tries to create a fourth job a screen pops up asking whether the user would like to get one of the paid versions. I got so furious that I forgot to take a screen-shot of this pop-up screen. In short- the so called "free" version of SyncBreeze is just a bait for the paid versions, a worthless demo.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Maximum Number of Files - 100,000 ... that it is virtually useless for me
Especially for portable software users, where many programs (especially open source ones) tend to be made up of thousands of smaller files. I know I'd fill that queue up quickly.

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Especially for portable software users, where many programs (especially open source ones) tend to be made up of thousands of smaller files. I know I'd fill that queue up quickly.
I fully agree- my portable programs contain 13,671 folders and 126,756 files which means that even a single SyncBreeze job wouldn't be able to complete successfully.

webfork

Re: Why an easy to use, portable RSYNC for Windows is important

#11 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Listing some current "delta" or block-level file copy / sync tools that let you copy only what's changed, meaning small changes are near-instant upload/update for any file size.

---

Still the only free and portable option in this space
  • Bvckup 2 (unsupported beta) - I've tested this thoroughly and is definitely my go-to. Works with local media and network media, not just a remote service.

Some other either non-free or non-portable options:

Status Unknown
  • Duplicati (2.0) - I saw a note somewhere claiming but lost the link and the site seems to suggest it is not comparable to RSYNC. I will say that using the available FTP connection option is likely incompatible with a delta copy program.

Linux users
  • Timeshift - I just mention it because this is a dramatically better version of Windows' System Restore thanks to this technology. You could backup your entire system every 30 minutes and it likely wouldn't burden your processor or storage.
---

What's most remarkable here is how few tools I was able to track down that support something I thought would be a killer feature. Small edits to 1 gig remote files cut down to a few seconds? Who wouldn't choose that feature?

EDIT: After the note I wrote up above, I went ahead and purchased Bvckup2 commercial version to support ongoing development.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Great summary, thanks. 8)

Moving thread to Resources & Links, which I reckon more fitting...

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:44 am Moving thread to Resources & Links, which I reckon more fitting...
Good call, thanks

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

I'm pleased to report a new freeware option to add to the list of options that only copy what's changed:

Hasleo Backup Suite Free: https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-softwar ... -free.html

Ghacks review: https://www.ghacks.net/2022/11/26/hasle ... rovements/

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

While I haven't tested Hasleo Backup Suite Free in any way (I intend to, but it may take some time), its user guide details features like CLI, wipe, bootable WinPE creation, and disk/file backup making it an impressive free backup alternative -- at least on paper...

Great call. 8)