FileOptimizer - broad format compression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

Re: FileOptimizer

#16 Post by Checker »

Midas wrote:v4.00.194 released...
Thanks ... and updated :wink:

koka55

#17 Post by koka55 »

Midas wrote:v4.00.194 released...
Midas: I have not said that I use the old version.
I mean, from Ver. 3.00 is this function built in but no works (at least on my machine).

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Been working with this program a great deal over the past few weeks. Some general notes now that I've tested more files and more types:
  • DOCX - sometimes yes, sometimes no. I couldn't figure out the distinction.
  • DOC - about the same as DOCX
  • PDF - seems to depend on age -- older PDFs will compress dramatically (sometimes as much as 80%)
  • PNG - this is by far the best result. As indicated in my previous post, I sometimes get ~40%, but almost always save around 10%
  • ODT (LibreOffice) - not much. Compression level is already quite high so was able to cut around 1%

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

What an odd bug ... don't click the "about" button as it can't be closed. I had to open up Task Manager and end process. I tried to submit a bug but got an error on the contact link of his homepage.

Ascend4nt

#20 Post by Ascend4nt »

Does anyone have contact information for the author of this software? I clicked the "Contact Me" link on his page but it just give an error. And I don't see any links in the program or its help file.

The problem I'm trying to convey to the author is that the "PETrim" program is far too aggressive with Executable files. It is in fact NOT lossless as any overlay information is completely stripped off. I thought at first this meant just compiled AutoIt executables losing their ability to run, but in fact there's much more that constitutes an 'overlay'.

Setup and install programs will regularly use Overlays to pack and unpack the data needed to install a program (this includes PortableApps executables!). And Authenticode signatures are also maintained in the same way.

Basically, that executable-optimization needs to go! To work around this problem currently, especially when dealing with optimizing full folders, I've went into the "Plugins32" and "Plugins64" folder and renamed "PETrim.exe" to something else. Now optimizations silently fail, but at least the files are no longer stripped of vital information and resources!

DarkShadow

#21 Post by DarkShadow »

Ascend4nt

#22 Post by Ascend4nt »

Thanks for that DarkShadow. I needed a translator for what fields were what, but I got the message sent!

Ascend4nt

#23 Post by Ascend4nt »

Seems the creator of PETrim was contacted about the overlay issue, but that person needed an incentive (read: money) to update the project. :roll:

The author of FileOptimizer said a disable-PETrim option is going on his ToDo List.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

So this program regularly cuts an average of 15% of MS Office 2010 files that I frequently share. The biggest gains come not surprisingly from large spreadsheets with lots of duplicate information. I have to keep and maintain this in XLSX format, but if I could move it into an uncompressed CVS or XLS format, 7-zip is ideal for collapsing these.

I can't guess at how much bandwidth has been spared over time because of this tool.

Of course, as I use something long enough I develop some ideas of where it could go ...

Wishlist:
[Edit: moved back to a previous entry to have them all in one place]

webfork

#25 Post by webfork »

FileOptimizer 6.00.281 just implimented MozJpeg (previously noted by SYSTEM).
replacing jpegtran with mozjpeg
Source: http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... izer.shtml

Testing results (these are basic but telling)
  • Some full screen screenshots: an improvement, but only a few % points
  • Some random thumbnails: some were much worse; you'll want to use the earlier version of FileOptimizer
  • Various different sized photos: results were all over the place; some were a few percentage points smaller with mozjpeg, some better with jpegtran
Note that both encoders were almost the same in terms of speed on my Win7x64 2.6 ghz system.

As a result it looks like the best thing to do is run both on mozpeg and jpegtran (used in version 5.90.267). Would contact the dev on this but his contact page has been down for quite a while.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

From the entry comments:
checker wrote:@ webfork: Obviously you found a contact page ;)
One of your suggestions is part of the changelog (see "What's new?").
I saw that. This made my weekend.

DarkShadow

#27 Post by DarkShadow »

@ webfork:
To contact the author use: http://guti.bitacoras.com/contacta-conmigo

Tu nombre (obligatorio) = your name (required)
Tu email (obligatorio) = your email (required)
Asunto = issue
Tu mensaje = your message
Introduce el código = enter the code
Enviar = send

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

DarkShadow wrote:To contact the author use: http://guti.bitacoras.com/contacta-conmigo
Tu nombre (obligatorio) = your name
Thanks but I speak passable Spanish and the issue is that if his FileOptmizer contact page is down even after obviously reading this page, maybe he doesn't really want people contacting him about that. *shrug*

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

DarkShadow wrote:To contact the author use
lol ... I finally tried to contact the author without success. The contact page won't list the CAPTCHA code. Sigh.

Checker

#30 Post by Checker »

@ webfork: I don't speak spanish, but I understand "para usar" as "before using" and "instalado el plugin" as "install the plugin" :wink:
I didn't try it, but I think you have to install something first to see the captcha.